Buy a miniamp in Europe?
May 14, 2004 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
I live in Sweden where headamps are regarded as type of aliens.
Where in Europe can you buy a battery driven miniamp that is portable? Any suggestions?

Georg Langrath

May 14, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 21
What about a PortaCorda(II) from Meier-Audio? I'm very pleased with mine, btw...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 14, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
I live in Sweden where headamps are regarded as type of aliens.
Where in Europe can you buy a battery driven miniamp that is portable? Any suggestions?

Georg Langrath

Georg, why limit yourself? Ordering from the US isn't difficult or complicated...

MVH.

May 14, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Georg, why limit yourself? Ordering from the US isn't difficult or complicated...

MVH.

No you are right. But the shipping cost and duty pay makes it cheaper to order from Europe if it is possible. But I have imported from US before so I do that if I don’t find what I seek in Europe.

Georg Langrath

May 14, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

No you are right. But the shipping cost and duty pay makes it cheaper to order from Europe if it is possible. But I have imported from US before so I do that if I don’t find what I seek in Europe.

Georg Langrath

Georg, my advice would be that if you'd prefer one of the US made amps, just go for it, as the Dollar is pretty weak right now, which makes up quite alot for the duties and shipping...
Where in Sweden are you, BTW? I just moved a while back from Öckerö just outside Göteborg...you can see I've still got my keyboard programmed for the Swedish alphabet..
winkphones.gif

May 14, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Georg, my advice would be that if you'd prefer one of the US made amps, just go for it, as the Dollar is pretty weak right now, which makes up quite alot for the duties and shipping...
Where in Sweden are you, BTW? I just moved a while back from Öckerö just outside Göteborg...you can see I've still got my keyboard programmed for the Swedish alphabet..
winkphones.gif

I live in Ljusdal, rather north in Sweden. Born In Stockholm.

I once saw a portable headphone amp not bigger than a credit card. Is it a homebuilt thing or can you buy it? If I have an amp when I take walks it would be preferable that it was very small.

Georg Langrath

May 14, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 21
Georg, if you can't find an amp you've heard of, always start here
wink.gif

Could be one of these you're after, the 2nd one I'd guess:

Super Mini Headphone Amp V3
Super_Mini_Headphone_Amp_V3.gif

Xin SuperMini
Xin_SuperMini.jpg

Xin SuperMicro
Xin_SuperMicro.jpg

May 14, 2004 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

I live in Ljusdal, rather north in Sweden. Born In Stockholm.

I once saw a portable headphone amp not bigger than a credit card. Is it a homebuilt thing or can you buy it? If I have an amp when I take walks it would be preferable that it was very small.

Georg Langrath

I used to have that amp you are mentioning (Supermini). The best thing about that amp is its battery life (around 100hours) and its size although the supermicro is even smaller. The supermicro, however, doesn't have such battery life.

May 14, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 21
Georg, I'm going to pick up one of these for my portable use, me thinks
smily_headphones1.gif

Ray Samuels SR-71 Prototype
sr_71.jpg

May 14, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 21
I'll third the recommendation for the Porta Corda II. This bad boy is a lot of amp, and it will really grow with you. The only annoyance is that in order to plug it into power, you sort of have to do surgery to the case. A knife heated by a candle will do it though. Has Jan modified this?

May 14, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 21
I think I read somewhere that there no surgery is necessary anymore... the hole you had to cut by yourself in order to plug the adaptor is now already there - IIRC.

And yes, the Porta Corda is a "WOW! - generating" portable amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Has Jan modified this?

Yup, he did - the hole comes factory pre-drilled since quite a while, now...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 14, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 21
Thanks.
I understand that you guys like the Porta Corda II. But even if it is battery driven, I suppose that it is a little big to have in your pockets when you are walking with portables?

Georg Langrath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back