Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Sep 28, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #391 of 533
V6 has max. supported voltage ±16.5V, so probably this is why it's overheating. If you short-circuit both LED's (connect both LDO regulators directly to GND) you will get +/-15V. This should help a bit in lowering opamp's temps. However, do measure both voltage rails at least twice before connecting the V6 opamp.

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #392 of 533
This is a short write up about my experience with Burson Supreme Sound V6.

It took me forever to get to this one. I'd like to thank Charles at Burson, for providing me with review samples, and for being extremely patient with me to be done with my personal affairs, and get to writing this review.

It all begun a couple of months ago, when I decided to mod the chassis of my old FiiO E12DIY, and newly acquired Douk Audio Little Bear B4. The goal was to turn both those amps into an opamp test bench, but still keep them looking presentable, and not like they've been taken apart, and left that way. The biggest problem with small, portable, headphone amps, is the lack of free space inside, to install a discrete opamp. Since I didn't need the amps to be portable anymore, their form factor didn't bother me that much, cause I could be satisfied with them being just transportable, so I could use them to listen to music around the house.

It so much easier for me, to write a review about a piece of equipment that sucks. The venom just flows from my fingers onto the keyboard, and fills the screen with pure antagonism. That's another reason why it took me so much time to get to writing this review. I came to the conclusion that in this case - less is more, so I'll keep it short - Burson V6 Discrete Opamps is an obvious upgrade to any IC opamp I tried. V6 easily top the MUSES opamp family, which is considered the highest IC level you can get. V6 improve clarity and detail retrieval, sound stage and instrument separation, and add more body and character to the sound.

Both, the Vivid, and the Classic, are worth having! - Which one is better, depends on the amp in use, and the preferred sound character. To me, the Vivid sounds better in the hybrid tube B4, cause the Classic sounded too worm for my taste. B4 is known to be susceptible to EMI. I guess it also depends on the opamp used, cause with V6, the EMI was almost inaudible, even though the phone, was lying right next to it. In E12DIY, both V6s played very nice, and showed a noticeable improvement on every level.

I had a chance to compare the V6s to SparkoS SS3602, and I found the SparkoS sounding too mid-centric, and lacking, both in lows, and highs.

I think that V6s are a worthy investment, and can make any amp equipped with IC opamps, shine.

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #393 of 533
classic 1.jpg
classic 2.jpg
classic 3.jpg
classic 4.jpg

I really like reading all the reviews on the Burson op amps. So I would like to give my thoughts on a pair of V6 Classics I received. I have them in my Burson Fun amp.
I also have a pair of V6 Vivids that I gave my impressions on a few months back.
As I said before just love this amp with the versatility it has with swapping op amps. I have had a blast play around with the two op amps. I really like the V6 vivids over the stock op amp that's not bad at all. I thought the Vivds were very detailed the bass was very clear, detailed,balanced with good separation.

So now on to the V6 Classics must say I like these also. The Classics or just different then the Vivids that's what makes this fun. I'm using Senn HD600 and HiFiman HE400I.
The Classics dare I say some what tube like I do own a Bottlehead Crack. The midrange on the Classics are very good just love it. The low end is to me just not as tight as the Vivids and highs were good not in your face. Soundstage not as wide as the Vivids but thought the classics had good imaging.

With the Classics I felt like I could listen to these all day long. Very laid back, smooth and very musical op amp. To me they were great with the HD600s good match. For my taste I would lean towards the Classics because I like the laid back sound of them. With that being said I would say both these op amps are great just depends on your taste and what amp you have them in. Thanks for hearing me out.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #395 of 533
I love my V6 Classic Duals as well. Riding on my isolated Auzentech they are capable of inducing "musicgasms" without warning. That said, I "caught" the MassDrop offered the Dual V6 Vivids for $50 each. Can you safely fall in love with fraternal twins without issue?

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #396 of 533
For those of you who have burned it in for 100 hours, did you notice any discernible differences from early hours of listening?

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #397 of 533
For those of you who have burned it in for 100 hours, did you notice any discernible differences from early hours of listening?

There are significant differences after burn in. Depends on the voltage of the device (Burson works in the range 3.5V-16.5V) it can take shorter or longer. On my Asus STX II it took whole month (600 hours) due to 5v voltage, and on Hegel HD12 it took about 200 hours as it works on higher voltage. On Asus STX II it was very long process, first 48 hours it was barely listenable, and then better and better each week, with warmth and good bass coming at the end of burn in.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #398 of 533
Quite big differences.
On my Play I've noticed ( small ) differences even after 500h. The Vivids tends to have better midrange and Classics better bottom and highs. But biggest changes we're made in the first 150h.
I have several V6, to change tonality of the Play if I want, so I was able to test one channel with a new one and another with an already burned one.

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #399 of 533
Hi guys. Picked up my V6 Vivid duals at the post office this week and started comparing all op-amps I had available with the Burson Swing :)

QkVm241.jpg

Non- Burson op-amps:

NE5532 (stock): had to mention these first. I honestly think the Swing sounds stellar in its stock configuration. Bass is tight, sound is very controlled and balanced. Noise levels are good until the highest of volumes. So really, not too bad.

LME49720: I had the 'HA' metal can version of these to try out. They are very low noise with very impressive specs, but to me sounded actually slightly less musical. I'm sure these can be quite good sounding, but not really my jam in this particular amp. I'd say pass on these.

AD797: the venerable BB 797 opamp is definitely in my favorite opamp list. They are basically the 5534 but better. Not super cheap for an opamp and perhaps really not 'worth' spending a lot of money on but if you like the stock sound and want that tiny improvement, I would recommend trying these.

OPA1656: this is one of burr browns latest opamp. It's meant for audio amplification and is super clean in measurements. To me it sounds a lot like the AD797, but perhaps a touch cleaner and harder hitting. If you can get this for a good price they're quite nice. But honestly, ranking these mentioned so far:

LME49720<NE5532<AD797<=OPA1656. And by this I mean differences are rather subtle and tiny, think 1% with each jump. Not particularly exciting.

Burson op-amps:

Burson V6 Vivid Duals: been listening to these for the past few days. They sound very clean, more like the before mentioned while the classic sound more warm/"tubey". The Vivid are quite aptly named, they make everything sound very alive/transparent/vivid. You can already see me coming with the "but...", but I think they can be fatiguing over time. They really need to match in your set-up. Want more vivid and impactful sound? These are what you need. Want more warm and laid-back sound? Read on to:

Burson V6 Classic Duals: queue Zeos's these... :p if you want that maximum feel of musicality, these are the opamps to get in my opinion. They are very punchy sounding and just a breath of fresh air next to the typical opamp sound. The Burson V6 Classics made the biggest difference in sound to me. They just match incredibly well with the Burson dac/amps. Burson opamps might not be cheap, but definitely worth saving up for if you want to max out your (Burson) amp: the Classics just produce an effortless sound than I can listen to for hours/days.

A note about op-amp noise!

With every single swap, I plugged in sensitive IEMs to see if they would pick up any opamp self-noise. To my surprise in the burson swing, all of these produced ZERO hiss:
NE5534(stock), LME49720, AD797, OPA1656, Burson V6 Vivids. Only one outlier produced noise which was audible with the most sensitive of earphones... yep,
The Burson V6 Classic Duals, my favorite pick in regards to musicality and SQ. LOL. Do note, plugging in my Sennheiser HD650 again made it 100% inaudible.

I hope you guys enjoyed the comparisons and if you have any questions, shoot!

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #400 of 533
Burson Audio contacted me (unsolicited) before xmas and asked if I would like a V6 Vivid and V6 Classic discreet opamps to try in my diy built Whammy headphone amplifier.

Having purchased both the both V6 Classic and V6 Vivid personally in the past it was great to have another listen and revisit my initial thoughts especially as some things have changed in my system.

I had moved on my original V6 Vivid some six months or more ago as I found the Vivid just to fatiguing to listen to for longer sessions and my personal preference was for the more musical presentation (as I heard it) of the Classic. Luckily I still have my original V6 Classic so was able to compare a new out of the box V6 Classic with one that had several hundred hours of use. The fresh out of the box V6 Classic presentation was instantly recognisable and very similar to my well run in one but there was certainly a little less openness and the intimacy to the vocal presentation. The density of tone and texturing that I really like about the V6 Classic was there but it didn't quiet have the finesse and polish to its presentation that I was used to with my well run in one but still very enjoyable and easy to listen to for long sessions.

Now switching to the V6 Vivid something I was in all honesty not really looking forward to and put off for some time but wowzers what a surprise and difference compared to my prior experience of comparing the Vivid to the Classic.

I distinctly 100% preferred the Classic previously finding the Vivid a bit to much of a good thing and to fatiguing for me to listen to for anything but a short periods. For me the Classic just had more of the refined and musical presentation I enjoyed.

The surprising thing is I'm now going to do a complete about face a full on U-turn and say I find the V6 Vivid a really enjoyable listening experience my dac Oppo 205 and HD800 headphones remain the same the only difference is I had moved to a dedicated Roon Rock set up for my source last year.

The difference between my past and present experience with the V6 Vivid must be down to Roon and I honestly found it was a chalk and cheese listening experience for me. I now find the V6 Vivid equally as musical and long session are not tiring in the slightest which means I can enjoy that extra level of resolve and speed the Vivid brings to the table a very unexpected and ultimately very enjoyable result.

Its very commendable of Burson to reach out to ordinary diy headfiers and give the chance to try out their products I very much appreciated the opportunity to try their V6 Vivid and Classic Op amps once again.

10414330.jpg

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #401 of 533
duplicate post

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #402 of 533
My problem with the Bursons is twofold:

- One, the pricing; For over 300% a bump, they do not deliver. Please don't misunderstand me here, of course there are (vast going upwards) diminishing returns in this hobby of which i'm well aware of, am not being irrational here. I just find their pricing overly high, "boutique" notwithstanding (the glories of euphemisms, we slap a tag and all of a sudden the pricing's fine). Sure, smaller(ish) company and Australia, but i'm allowed to think as a consumer in this, that's all i am.
Of course this need not necessarily stop one, may well be considered an investment if the DAC, amp, etc. isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Bit more costly, but the actual sum's still petty one thinks, so onwards with it. Yes. And it was an investment i made myself actually. Except..

- Two, the sound; I too find the Vivids fatiguing (which some may not suffer from, subjective) and a bit too much on the bright side of things; a semblance of moderation here could have done wonders. The Classics of course had to fall somewhere on other side of the spectrum, as a noticeable difference was i assume required, how else would they differentiate and as such excuse two lineups. Except after listening to them, one finds they're not exactly what their name (classic) implies, but more like -no offense meant here- what a very certain category of "listeners" might, today, think of as "classic"; big difference, even if one they're unaware of as they favour certain headphones, share certain tropes, etc. etc. Which, business being business, may speak well for sales of the Classic, but not for the op amp itself; says i anyhow.

On a device that does what they're all supposed to do, convert, reproduce or amplify, not interpret, neither op amp has a place.
I'd say i fail to see the fuss over them, but taking a broader look, say at the base audience (as i perceive it anyhow) that they're targetting.. they make sense i guess.

I'd only recommend either of them for a, 'counterweight' as it were. Selectively and if only.

P.S. Almost entirely our of topic, but since we're talking about certain products? One might want to take a look at whether three and four amplification stages are a good thing to have.. or not; and whether certain devices sold are actually worthy of being sold, or are designed merely so as to maximise op amp sales. Food for thought, by all means feel free to discard.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #403 of 533
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pair of dual vivid V6 op-amps just before Christmas last year which I installed into my Teac UD-501. It’s been a few years since I’ve done anything to it as I’ve been happy with the sound from the Sparko op-amps I’ve been using but it’s still a very good platform to upgrade and try different things.

I originally tried the V5’s from Burson – the original, original ones, which were to this day, the best op amps I’d ever put into the Teac. The best sound ever. Unfortunately, those ones overheated and failed and the replacements from Burson sounded nothing like those originals. It was like a shattered dream and I stuck to the Sparko’s ever since. Then came the V6’s.

Fitting them was easy, same as the V5’s before them, I’ve attached some quick pics for reference. Installed, I fired them up straight away for a listen – I had high hopes. Unfortunately, that magical V5 sound wasn’t there. It sounded loose at the low end and harsh at the highs, detached in the middle. Classic pre-burn in sound, I thought, so still with a chance of it getting to where I hoped it would be.

One thing that did stand out immediately was the quietness in the background and the sharp impulse response from each note. Whether one causes the other, I don’t know, but the result is a very clear presentation into the music, as if the musician was now playing more precisely and with a tiny bit more emphasis – striking keys harder, or plucking with more force as if it were. Voices were equally isolated and crystal in this manner. Soundstage and instrument placement were pretty much consistent with the sparky which contrasted the original V5 which had a very deep, far back soundstage, but individual isolation of notes was something the V6 bested over those other two.

I let the Teac run unattended for 100 hours and came back for a listen but nothing much changed. A bit more solid in the sound with tighter bass was about all that was different. I let it run for longer and again, not much different except even more bass, so I let it run for another couple of days. By this time, the highs were mellowed and everything gelled together into place as a good system should, so I thought this was the final sound. I left it at that and did my normal listening sessions, at least once a day, if not every day for between 1 and 2 hours. The Teac op amp rails run at 12V so I never expected burn in to last so long, probably over 200 hours in total.

After another week of this listening, I started to notice that the bass had crept up to heart moving levels. Literally shaking the room and hurting my ears, the bass had gone deeper and louder as if it had an EQ boost. Was this another end to another Burson try-out? I didn’t want it to be as the quiet background and lightning quick response was definitely something worth keeping. Would I need to resort to some unorthodox audiophile EQ-ing to tame the bass? I’m running some silver IC’s to my power amp which I like due to the solid bass and crystal clear mids and I was reluctant to get rid of them, especially when they were doing so well in the system with the sparkys.

Suddenly it came to me to close up the ports on the back of my focal speakers. Closed up, the bass went down. All of it. No more bass whatsoever. I had just stumbled into more problems. Not yet admitting defeat, I decided to half close the ports. Luckily Focal engineers must have designed a slot port just for this purpose, as the port size can be changed by inserting larger or smaller sponges in it. With a lot of trial and error and extended periods of testing, I finally settled on a half open half closed port which gave just the right amount of bass. I had always thought that the Focal W cone drivers gave precise, taut bass which I loved but because I only have a 2-way Electra standmount, I suspect that the performance wasn’t as good as it might have been from a 3 way. The V6’s were probably pushing their performance envelope to the maximum. Unfortunately, this tuning has left a slight hole in the upper bass but I’m ok with that.

I’ve had the V6’s set up like this for a couple weeks now and it’s a pretty amazing sound. The clarity into the midrange is ‘vivid’ just like it says on the box and I’m stumbling onto old tracks I’ve not listened to for a while to be greeted with a brand new presentation into the music. It’s not like the old V5’s I loved so much which had a distant, slow, presentation that made most things sound like a melancholy blues song, but it’s ability to allow one to hear every detail in the recording, both leading and trailing, makes me believe this op amp is trying it’s best to not interfere with the sound. And that’s a win in my book.

In conclusion, this op amp is a good product but don’t be surprised if it causes weaknesses in other parts of your audio chain to become apparent.

IMG_0059.JPGIMG_0060.JPGIMG_0061.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back