Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Jan 11, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #256 of 533
I don't have OPA627 but I have Muses 02.
I will never use Muses 02 in the I/V stage of a DAC - exagerated bass and almost inexistent treble ( may depend of implementation - probably on some DAC's might sound better.).
However these are some of the best when using in the LPF/Buffer,
If I had to compare with V6, the closest to Muses 02 would be the Classic - when using in LPF/Buffer. Closest, but big difference. The 01 are more closer to Classic, very neutral, but a bit cooler sound than Classic.
Interesting. While I find Classics warm, I don't find them overly bassy. Which op-amp do you think would go deepest in the sub-bass region?

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #259 of 533
V5i, then V6 Vivids. if used in I/V. This stage gives the sound signature.
V6 Classics are warm,, true, but they lack a bit in the bass area. They are better in upper bass and mids.

LPF/Buffer has more influence in backround and soundstage. Muses 02 gives a dark background from what I've tested. Being also warm, Classics gives also a similar background, but not so dark, As I said, in I/V there is no comparation. 02 is just pure bass. Almost nothing else.

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #260 of 533
Thanks. So going deeper than Classics and Vivids?

That's how I feel them when used in voltage-gain stage, with a bit more bass and I'm not the only one here thinking this way (I've read few pages back the same feeling about V5i). However, I like the SS V6 Classic more because of neutrality and musicality. :)

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #261 of 533
BTW, I am looking for a trade - my set of v6 CLASSIC opamps (for burson play - 3 x double & 2 x single) for burson V6 VIVIDS. Have changed my headphones for more mid-centered and would like to see what would be the difference :)
Preferably from EU.
Cheers

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #263 of 533
Now it's a 48h discount for V5 on manufacturer's website, so totally recommended.
V6 is newer, operates to a bit higher voltage and if soundstage and microdetails are a must for you, then V6 Vivid might be a better choice.
I personally don't find an audible difference between V5 and V6 Classic, but YMMV.
V5i it's not solid-state, it's an integrated chip with additional resistors and decoupling caps nearby; I would vote V5 against V5i.

Jan 15, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #264 of 533
Also V5i may require some capacitor mod - it's described on their site how to do it.

I use v5i on my Asus STX in I/V - with Muses 02 in buffer. At first I've used OPA2132PA in buffer and with stock new V5i the sound was great. Even compared with Burson Conducror Air - based on the same V5i, the STX sounded better. However after about 150-200 h the Conductor Air has recovered and in the end it sounded better than the STX - who started to sound less better. I just didn't want to make the capacitor mod and alter the board. Conductor Air has it from design. So I've changed the 2132 on my STX with Muses 02 - sound is better. Still a bit worst than the Air.

Jan 15, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #265 of 533
@Eiffel Thanks for the report. I'd planned on the V5i as the winner for the I-V, as it's the largest dual amp that'll fit under the ASUS® XONAR® STX'™ stock RFI shield. I'm anticipating a video upgrade for my ubuntu box along with an Advanced Micro Devices® Phenom II®, ideally an X4 915e, in for the Athlon64® 3500+, so the V5, V6 Classic, and V6 Vivid had to ruled out due to physical interference. Hopefully Burson® can develop a V6i based on lessons learned from the preceding V-series dual amps.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #266 of 533
I did more tests replacing OP-AMPs in the LPF/Buffer stage of a Topping D10 - this one has soldered OPA2134 in I/V but the buffer is socketed so you may try to change a bit the sound.

My results so far:

- OPA2134 ( Stock ) - Clean and clear sound, quite neutral but slight cold sound.
- Muses 02 - A lot more bottom end than stock, slight more refined.
- Muses 01 - Neutral and more refined sound than stock, more air.
- Burson V6 Vivid - Somehow similar with Muses 02 - more bottom end - but not as much than 02, however better highs with better soundstage and more refined sound.
- Burson V6 Classic - Quite similar with Muses 01, but more refined and musical.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #267 of 533
Proud owner of Burson V6 Vivid :D
Took awhile to get it here, quite nice inside my portable amp Fiio A5. Probably need some cut on the shell to fit the Burson
20190214_224526.jpg

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #268 of 533
Hi,
i have an Asus Essence STX 2, and i have put 3 V6 Vivid inside.
I'm using a Meze 99 Classics on the line out with RCA -> Jack adaptator.

I recently bought a z390 Aorus Master motherboard, which includes an ESS Sabre 9118 with ALC1220, so that i could compare what ESS can deliver.

Result is... the Essence STX2+V6 are obvious winners
I mean, there isn't even any challenge

The sound is so much detailed and crisp, with an outstanding audio separation. Damn, i didn't thought the difference would be so easy to hear, while this motherboard is already supposed to have a beefy sound output
I tested for half an hour, switching one output to another, and came to the conclusion that an integrated audio circuit on a motherboard can't compete with a dedicated sound card with high quality opamps, even if it's dac is powered by an ESS Sabre.
One would argue that i should have tested the Aorus Xtreme instead, wich comes with a ESS 9018K2M DAC, LME 49720 and OPA1622 OP-AMP, but this one was damn too pricy. (Honestly, i could have been seduced if the opamps were not soldered )
:p

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #269 of 533
After reading http://nihtila.com/2017/01/12/pcm1794a-leftright-channel-differences/ I tried a couple of tests to check for THD+N with MUSES01 vs. NE5532P used in I/V stage:

ASUS_E1_1KHz-48KHz_Headphones_MUSES01_IV_MUSES02_LPF.png

MUSES01 in I/V, THD+N: 0.0067%

ASUS_E1_1KHz-48KHz_Headphones_NE5532_IV_MUSES02_LPF.png

NE5532P in I/V, THD+N: 0.0024%

Having the second harmonic so close to -80 dB made me "downgrade" the I/V stage from my beloved E1 combo from MUSES01 to NE5532P. Now the second harmonics gets below -100 dB, hence the lower THD figure.

NE5532P was manufactured by Texas Instruments and are the originals from the E1 DAC. Same values I got when I used JRC2114D opamps.
MUSES01 are originals, bought from Profusion UK, JRC/NJM dealer.

The above values are not modified when swapping opamps in LPF, nor in output buffer or headphones gain stage (tested with MUSES02, LME49720, NE5532P, JRC2114D). However, worth mentioning that when using MUSES01 in LPF or VAS the 2nd harmonic is increasing with 2-3dB over the 100 dB horizontal line.

Given the above, I don't recommend spending money on MUSES01 in I/V stage of the Essence One MKii, although in other audio equipment could have better measurements (I will probably try later).

Note: I must confess that in previous A/B tests with an identical E1, comparing stock opamps with MUSES opamps, the MUSES version was more sound appealing, with better soundstage...more euphonic and pleasant sound. However, better THD+N means a sound more close to what the recording company intended, so my MUSES01 got out of my E1 last night. :frowning2:

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #270 of 533
Muses 01 and 02 have harmonic issues and are also very sensitive to power supply harmonics.
On my STX The combination Muses01 in I/V and Muses02 in LPF sound very pleasant, but I've also notice some harmonic issues from power supply. Even if I changed to a better power supply i was able to get only different harmonics than first time.
Muses 01 is sensitive to high frequencies - i was able to hear harmonics at 1kHz and up to 10kHz, and Muses 02 to lower ones - 50Hz- 400Hz.
It was funny as when I run a frequency generator software on my PC, set at 20kHz I was able to hear a lot of frequencies sounds in my speakers instead of nothing.

On the Topping D10 - powered with a power brick however when used in LPF I was unable to hear anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back