Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #196 of 533
Hi,

You can do better pics with your phone, see how I did here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/asus-essence-one-headphone-amp-dac-cebit-2011.542563/page-216#post-12087137. One hand on the probe, the other one on the phone/camera. :)

I wish I could but my S5 Cameras glass broke, but I will try to do some good quality picture/videos with someone else phone on my next post.

btw why do I get only straight line when I touch with my probe the invert/non-inverting input? I think I did get some sine waves at FFT but it was really noisy so I assume it wasn't really a sine wave?

Sorry to ask this questions as I am really new to op amps test :monkey_face:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #197 of 533
I'm still not sure why do you want to measure opamp's +/- inputs? I thought you'd like to measure V+/V- voltage rails. The signal on opamp's inputs is very low in amplitude and you might want to increase scope's resolution/sensitivity.

I usually measure RCA/Jack output signal if I want to see how signal looks like...I care not about the sine-wave directly on the opamps because it's difficult to check it, huge probability to short-circuit something there and usually the audio signal on the RCA/Jack plugs is about the same around the opamps too.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #199 of 533
I'm still not sure why do you want to measure opamp's +/- inputs? I thought you'd like to measure V+/V- voltage rails. The signal on opamp's inputs is very low in amplitude and you might want to increase scope's resolution/sensitivity.

I usually measure RCA/Jack output signal if I want to see how signal looks like...I care not about the sine-wave directly on the opamps because it's difficult to check it, huge probability to short-circuit something there and usually the audio signal on the RCA/Jack plugs is about the same around the opamps too.

Yes I was trying to check the Voltage rails but I thought I would also see a signal waves there but it's difficult to see on my scope.

But I tested with my Multimeter and found the voltage on non-invert input(V+) is 11v and on invert input (V-) is -11v.

and I found that its al ways the same voltage when my PC is Turned on.

And I also checked the RCA output on the scope while I play Music and it's just gives me Signal Spectra just like foobar Oscilloscope visualization, but I don't see anything while no music is played.

Yes I need to learn about Good amps and Bad op amps and how to identify them. I decided to test first some ic op amps behaviour with the scope then I will compare it with Discrete Op amps.

Once I'm done making 4 op amps sockets I will do some experiments with my V6 opa but now I can't while it's on my Soundcard.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #200 of 533
Btw why my RCA output impedance for Right channel and Left Channel not exactly same? I get reading on my MM for Right Channel: 35ohm and for Left Channel: 32ohm?

and I tested with different op amps and its al ways the same, is my Sound Card working correctly or there is something wrong with the impedance matching for both channels?:confused:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #201 of 533
Ideally would be for you to measure the AC ripple & noise on both voltage rails of +/-11V. Setup your scope to measure AC and start watching was going onto display. Increase the resolution per your needs; I estimate a ripple of no more than few dozens of mV, but let's see.

For measuring the RCA output signal you can also use scope's AC setting, probably 10mV if available, just to read the noise when no input applied, then increase to 5V or 10V for 2V RMS signals. You should be able to find sine-waves to audiocheck website or similar.

Care not about RCA's output resistance.

Watch the Sparkfun and Youtube tutorials again, really good info in there that might help you out understanding what you need to look for when testing the sound-card with a scope.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #203 of 533
I scrabbled up a different Parasound setup and stuck the V6 Classics that I got from Charles @ Burson. I was previously running my favorite V4's in these. Today I swapped in the V6 classics in both the preamp and amp. I get more airiness out of my closed back headphones. Subbass is still there, but it is different from the V4. To my ears the V4 beats the V6 by a little bit. But other than that, the V6 classics are pretty damn great sounding.

20180326_140150.jpg
20180326_141144.jpg

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #204 of 533
I scrabbled up a different Parasound setup and stuck the V6 Classics that I got from Charles @ Burson. I was previously running my favorite V4's in these. Today I swapped in the V6 classics in both the preamp and amp. I get more airiness out of my closed back headphones. Subbass is still there, but it is different from the V4. To my ears the V4 beats the V6 by a little bit. But other than that, the V6 classics are pretty damn great sounding.

so you mean V4 beats V6 Classic?

May 17, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #206 of 533
Sorry if this is a dumb question,but do I need my headphones plugged in to burn a new set of op amps in(v6 classic)?Consensus is that they need a good 100 hours to start hitting their potential,just not sure if I want my headphones along for the ride under a pillow??

May 17, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #207 of 533
Sorry if this is a dumb question,but do I need my headphones plugged in to burn a new set of op amps in(v6 classic)?Consensus is that they need a good 100 hours to start hitting their potential,just not sure if I want my headphones along for the ride under a pillow??

Yes.

May 19, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #208 of 533
Don´t forget it´s even more important to burn in headphones (and speaker´s)!

This week, I set my Lovely Black Cube amp with Van Damme Twin Interconnect, paired with my new AKG K812 with 3 feet UP-OCC cable, AKG K530 with UP-OCC and Triple Fi 10 with silver cable for burn in with a CD playing pink noise, white noise, frequency waves and some special mix of burn in tracks (pink noise with sweeping frequency waves) for about 18 hours.

Burn in will also be good for cables, and full frequency sound will be nice as it will let the gear play all the spectrum.

You can just search at for example YouTube and let it play continous. Be be awared, as the headphones should not play too many hours/several days without resting - a few minutes each hours or at least a short break no more than 5 hours is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back