Burson Soloist SL MK2 Appreciation/Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #46 of 165
So I finally listened to the lcd-2f with these. With the idsd micro as dac and at high gain and 10 o'clock volume, I think I have an endgame setup for me (at least for now lol). Compared to idsd alone, the sound is more punchy, bass is more controlled and present. Mids are intimate and liquid and soundstage has more depth. I can only imagine how the more expensive planars would sound, but for now it's endgame for me. I'd like to try some totl dynamics though, like the t1 or hd800.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #47 of 165
So I finally listened to the lcd-2f with these. With the idsd micro as dac and at high gain and 10 o'clock volume, I think I have an endgame setup for me (at least for now lol). Compared to idsd alone, the sound is more punchy, bass is more controlled and present. Mids are intimate and liquid and soundstage has more depth. I can only imagine how the more expensive planars would sound, but for now it's endgame for me. I'd like to try some totl dynamics though, like the t1 or hd800.

Hows detail retrieval and soundstage width? Still waiting on mine, lol.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #49 of 165
Nice nice, can't wait! 
cool.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #50 of 165
  soundstage is wide, especially when using k701. but with lcd-2f, it is still wide and the depth is better than with k701. Detail retrieval is superb!

Most noticeable soundstage improvement was the contrast between blacker background and front layers.  Very well separated, very clean sound overall, I can't get enough of it!   Raise the treble as much as you want no problem!

Everything in the mix is under control.

After listening to it for several hours and switching back to the STX II headphone out, music sounded a bit confused into my head.

The conclusions are based on signal fed by mediocre Ti 49720s (ripped off the legs on the Muses chips!) and a mere 50 hours of listening time.

Hopefully in the forthcoming weeks I might be able to install 3 x V5-OPA-Ds and come back here to describe my...ecstatic situation : )

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #51 of 165
Just got mine, now for burn in. 
smile.gif

Question... I ordered the MK2 version but the box it came in has just Soloist SL printed on the front, is this normal? Just found it a little weird. Ordered direct from Burson.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #52 of 165
  Just got mine, now for burn in. 
smile.gif

Question... I ordered the MK2 version but the box it came in has just Soloist SL printed on the front, is this normal? Just found it a little weird. Ordered direct from Burson.

The same.

Does the unit says "hand-crafted in Australia" at the rear and only that?  Dennis from Burson confirmed to me that it is genuine and not some warehouse prototype.

Also, no more hard-copy manuals come with the latest products

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #54 of 165

The same.

Does the unit says "hand-crafted in Australia" at the rear and only that?  Dennis from Burson confirmed to me that it is genuine and not some warehouse prototype.

Also, no more hard-copy manuals come with the latest products

Yep, its genuine no doubts there. Just can't tell what model it is, the print on the front of the box just confuses me lol.

Quote:
The volume and the red circuit board are the giveaways that it is the mk2.

Oh yeah thanks, didn't think of that. Mines got the mk2 nob, sorted.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #55 of 165
On another note, looks like I'm getting a new dac. I've got the o2+odac unit and have it connected to the mk2. There's some weird buzzing happening at anything above approx. 25% volume when my video card is under stress (gaming). Not entirely sure what's going on, but a new stand alone dac should solve it?

I'm considering Schiit Bifrost multibit.

Edit:
Looks like it could be a USB Ground Loop problem, so I'll need a USB Ground Loop Isolators of sorts, might try Schiit Wyrd.

Edit again:
It was a ground loop between the MK2 and O2+ODAC unit. Now fixed with a Sescom IL-STEREO-19. Although I'd like to not have to use a separate device to solve the problem, so will probably still get a new dac and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, well I'll just end up with a better dac which is fine by me.

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #56 of 165
  On another note, looks like I'm getting a new dac. I've got the o2+odac unit and have it connected to the mk2. There's some weird buzzing happening at anything above approx. 25% volume when my video card is under stress (gaming). Not entirely sure what's going on, but a new stand alone dac should solve it?

I'm considering Schiit Bifrost multibit.

Edit: Looks like it could be a USB Ground Loop problem, so I'll need a USB Ground Loop Isolators of sorts, might try Schiit Wyrd.

Bifrost/Multibit perform essentially the same  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlADcpbxbg

Just a thought:  Bifrost costs about the same as a high-end PC soundcard with top-tier op amps dropped in...Plus you get better results and impact considering that you remove the noisy digital cable from your audio chain...

That's why I'm sticking to the sound card for PC audio and for that price range.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #57 of 165

Bifrost/Multibit perform essentially the same  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlADcpbxbg

Just a thought:  Bifrost costs about the same as a high-end PC soundcard with top-tier op amps dropped in...Plus you get better results and impact considering that you remove the noisy digital cable from your audio chain...

That's why I'm sticking to the sound card for PC audio and for that price range.

I think you might need to be careful here, All reviews need to be taken with a pinch of salt, some more than others. I am not saying he or you are wrong, but I do know that I have heard differences in cd players, in amps, in cables and even between different software players. Although I have not heard any version of the bifrost, I will not just put off the fact, that a DAC can't make a difference based off of one review. Given the fact that I hear differences in all of these different components, though they may be small, I wont agree with the point that there is no difference in these things.

I am also not going to get into an argument on this and hope that this does not derail this thread, just stating my own experience with different things, and the results that I have had.

D

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #58 of 165
The reason why I posted the review above is because it creates a solid picture:  Same setup,  same result.   Isn't it logical for someone to presume that some of this 50% up worth "multi" will appear somewhere straight out of the box?

I mean, you get lcd-3 in order to replace the lcd-2, and you anticipate the obvious, with no cables, cd players and such involved.
My intention was not to defame anybody.  Like you said, this thread belongs to the Burson MK2
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #59 of 165
soloist SL for sale with Cardas interconnects PM me if anyone is interested.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #60 of 165
Am I allowed to say "dramatic changes" here? Well, after about 100 hours of operation this amp is getting really addictive.  Everything now feels more decompressed, heavy drums hit without causing the slight fatigue and spread nicer in the air, strings gained body and definition, electric guitars have similar "taste of sound" to my favorite chocolate bar (...),  a touch of warmth and musicality was also added.  As for the soundstage, it seems to me it became a bit more airy than before, moving and presenting things better with greater precision.

I'm curious where it will finally settle.  I'm receiving a whisper "get better headphones" already...:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back