Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
May 7, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,596 of 3,127
Has anyone tried the 3XP with the Hifiman Arya/Arya SE in low-gain power-amp mode? I'm finding it to be noticeably better than using volume control, and the low-gain setting is a pretty good match for my Arya SE. While my DAC (Chord Qutest) doesn't have volume control, I apply a preamp ranging from -2db to -6db (depending on the recording) in HQPlayer on my laptop (which is streaming in NAA mode from a Raspberry Pi), and that gives me my desired volume.
i'll have an arya se to try out with the 3XP as soon as the shipping delay clears...

May 7, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #2,597 of 3,127
Can you describe the THX789 vs Soloist 3XP? I have the 789 with me and find it quite linear in tone but not delivering the kind of punch and dynamics that I want.
Volume matched of course :D
I have both right now. I have the a90 as well. I've only had the soloist a week, but both have their strengths. 789 for sure is cleaner and more analytical while the burson is a little warmer. Love the soloist so far with my Arya v2. The 789 can be a bit bright at times, but not fatiguing

May 7, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #2,598 of 3,127
Only had about a day with the amp.. love it so far. Think I enjoy poweramp mode in medium gain most as others have mentioned, but I absolutely despise having to control the volume through my PC since my BF2 has none. Probably just leave it in medium gain with poweramp mode off since I enjoy using the awesome volume pot Burson has created. It's definitely a step up from my singxer. I think this is it for me. No more upgrades (famous last words). It's time to enjoy the music and stop chasing marginal improvements with wallet crushing costs haha. Maybe an LCD4 way down the road but thats a topic for another day
Love it! Are you using BF2 into the Burson? Just got both and seeing adjusting to find the sweet spot. But overall better than my 789 and grace sdac.

Testing with Arya v2, Zmf Atticus, Zmf VC, and some other goodies laying around

May 7, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,600 of 3,127
I have both right now. I have the a90 as well. I've only had the soloist a week, but both have their strengths. 789 for sure is cleaner and more analytical while the burson is a little warmer. Love the soloist so far with my Arya v2. The 789 can be a bit bright at times, but not fatiguing
The 789 I feel is quite wide, but without that much front-to-back depth. The dynamics could also be upped a tad.
I like the linear tonality of the 789; I am using Burson Classics in a Gustard P26 preamp fed to the 789 which is working like a microscope.

I can say that through this class A preamp, neither the Classics or the Vivids are completely transparent. Running the preamp at full volume (99) you lose the 'splishyness' of the very upper treble like cymbals and sibilance area is toned down. I like to run the preamp at 50% or less to get some of those details back (from my Soekris 1421 R2R DAC being at line level). However the soundstage does increase quite a bit with the Vivids being run at maximum volume. The Classics likewise make the stage more intimate and warm the sound considerably.

I anticipate this tonality would translate to the Soloist 3XP when I get around to ordering it.
Would also like to try some of these other opamps in the P26 (mugz, sparkos, staccato, orange etc) for a more honest sound. I think the staccatos might do it.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2,604 of 3,127
Has anyone tried the 3XP with the Hifiman Arya/Arya SE in low-gain power-amp mode? I'm finding it to be noticeably better than using volume control, and the low-gain setting is a pretty good match for my Arya SE. While my DAC (Chord Qutest) doesn't have volume control, I apply a preamp ranging from -2db to -6db (depending on the recording) in HQPlayer on my laptop (which is streaming in NAA mode from a Raspberry Pi), and that gives me my desired volume.
I have he1000se with soloist and composer stack. I've been using medium-gain on soloist with composer high gain mode but recently I've been listening to low gain on soloist and the sound is noticeably clean

May 8, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #2,605 of 3,127
I'll have to try this! I just got a Bifrost 2 and just got the Burson Soloist 3X. All newer to me and testing with my Arya v2, ZMF VC and Atticus.

May 9, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #2,606 of 3,127
Probably asking the same question again. How would you guys compare the Soloist 3XP to a Jotunheim 2? Is the Jotunheim more dry/analytical?
No, I'd say opposite. The Jot2 is warmer, less analytical than the Soloist.

May 10, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #2,607 of 3,127
I have a Burson GT but decided to op amp roll for my first time thanks to some helpful folks over in the GT thread. Wanted to post here as well for folks considering doing this with the Performance. I had no issues with the stock V6 vivids but after getting a tube amp, I wanted to switch up the sound signature of my GT to be more analytical/neutral so I'd have a nicer contrast between it and my Feliks Euforia.

Enter the SS2590 and SIL994 Enh's (thanks for the rec @DAPpower) - I currently have them in the input buffer (SIL 994) and volume control buffer stages (SS2590) while maintaining the Vivids in the voltage gain buffer. Really liking the upgraded sound. Definitely feels like I'm getting a more neutral/clinical sound profile, details are better than ever before and the impact has increased as well. For anyone on the fence with their GT/Performance, I'd recommend giving it a go

Attachments

• Burson op amp.jpeg
    Burson op amp.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,608 of 3,127
No, I'd say opposite. The Jot2 is warmer, less analytical than the Soloist.
Ok so it is warmer than Soloist. In another thread someone mentioned V-shape
That said you get a nice V shape out of the Jot 2. Lots of good sub bass, slam, dynamics are somewhat lacking and staging isn't huge but not intimate either. The highs start off a bit harsh but gets airy and slightly smooths off the rough edge.

Then again I wonder how the Jot2 would compare to a Burson Conductor 3XP?

May 11, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #2,610 of 3,127
A few weeks back I got the GS-X Mini Amp in addition to my Soloist 3XP. I just got a pair of Arya Stealth today and so far I gotta say the magic is in the Arya / Soloist combo. The more clinical sound of the Arya is complemented by the richer bass, slight warmth, treble sweetness, and euphonic tonality I get from the 3XP. Very good synergy in my opinion. Using the GS-X Mini gives more depth and wider stage, the sound is still excellent, but for this first listening session I think the 3XP is a better match.

Minor issue is that the Arya’s which come with SE cable are harder to drive than my LCD-X 21’s currently. The 3XP has a noise floor that makes high gain unusable in my opinion and using the SE connection in medium gain means that I can get to 96 volume level easily. PowerAmp mode has no effect on the noise floor. I’ve ordered a balanced cable from audiophileninja in order to take advantage of the extra juice and headroom of the balanced circuit in the 3XP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back