Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #2,506 of 3,128
I'm a little afraid to start using my Sparkos SS3602. I placed 2 of them firmly into the volume stage, powered up the amp, set medium gain to Volume 0, and when I plugged in my HE1000SSE I heard a horrible popping sound from one of the drivers, and got the same effect when unplugging the headphone. Double checked orientation and fit, and same thing. Spread out the pins a tiny bit like I had heard another user here do, plugged in a WAY cheaper headphone after learning my lesson, and all was good. The HE1000SE still works fine, but damn that was scary. Now using V6 Vivids in the Volume stage and V6 Classics in the other and everything sounds great. Still good impact in the bass, more than enough detail, and treble is tamed a tad.

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #2,508 of 3,128
What do you guys always mean with "power amp mode"? I can not just change HP or PRE, but nothing else.
I think they mean the headphone power amp mode. Which is where you hold the menu button down for 12 seconds and the volume controller is bypassed.

Screenshot from the manual:
1650484367801.png

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #2,510 of 3,128
I'm a little afraid to start using my Sparkos SS3602. I placed 2 of them firmly into the volume stage, powered up the amp, set medium gain to Volume 0, and when I plugged in my HE1000SSE I heard a horrible popping sound from one of the drivers, and got the same effect when unplugging the headphone. Double checked orientation and fit, and same thing. Spread out the pins a tiny bit like I had heard another user here do, plugged in a WAY cheaper headphone after learning my lesson, and all was good. The HE1000SE still works fine, but damn that was scary. Now using V6 Vivids in the Volume stage and V6 Classics in the other and everything sounds great. Still good impact in the bass, more than enough detail, and treble is tamed a tad.
use an extra dip8 socket on the sparkos and the popping goes away.

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #2,511 of 3,128
Have had the 3xp for a week now; will try it for a bit longer but probably will return it. Overall compared with the A90 (which has been my daily driver for a while), the 3xp presents a warmer tone on the higher frequencies + boosted bass. On some parts, particularly the higher mids and treble, it's a welcoming improvement; however on the low end, even upper bass, the boost is not pleasant on the Diana TC.

So one of the minor issues I have had with the DTC on A90 is that some high-frequency vocals and treble instruments can sound too bright. The 3xp does fix this issue; it has a smoother, more relaxed sound in those regions and is enjoyable. however the 3xp introduces a much greater and persistent issue that doesn't work for me. Basically it boosts the pressure/energy of drums - toms and floor drums. This is probably a welcoming boost for most other headphones, but the DTC has very strong bass already and this boost simply moves all drums forward in all music, even those are aren't really bass heavy. It kind of hurts my ears... basically on the A90 vocal volume is the limiting factor while on the 3xp bass volume becomes the limiting factor - thus vocals sound less prominent, on essentially all songs. Yet since I want to hear the vocals, the bass ends up hurting my ears...

I don't know if the 3xp sound can be achieved with just an eq from the A90... not sure... don't feel the lower bass, particularly electronic stuff is that bad, it's really just drums... feels like drums moved much closer to me... too close... can feel their percussive power going into my eardrums... so not even sure if I can call it a bass boost, more like a percussive energy boost. This is all on power amp mode. Tried the normal mode to begin with, but mids sound too recessed - feels dark sounding and not enjoyable.

have you tried op-amp change?

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,512 of 3,128
I've had no problem with Sparkos opamps in my Conductor 3x and my Sparkos Aries is awesome and uses Sparkos opamps. Driving Audeze LCD4, LCD3, LCDxc

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,513 of 3,128
use an extra dip8 socket on the sparkos and the popping goes away.

What will the dip8 socket do? Physically tighten up the pin connections? Spreading the pins is what fixed the issue and they sounded great. No pops while listening, and no pops while adding/removing the headphone plug. If a dip8 socket would guarantee a stable connection, I'd do that.

The pops before the tweak were horrendouly loud, and only one channel would work at a low volume. I just didn't want to risk keeping the Sparkos in there in case anything ever shifted and popped while listening because it would be deafening while wearing headphones.

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #2,514 of 3,128
What will the dip8 socket do? Physically tighten up the pin connections? Spreading the pins is what fixed the issue and they sounded great. No pops while listening, and no pops while adding/removing the headphone plug. If a dip8 socket would guarantee a stable connection, I'd do that.

The pops before the tweak were horrendouly loud, and only one channel would work at a low volume. I just didn't want to risk keeping the Sparkos in there in case anything ever shifted and popped while listening because it would be deafening while wearing headphones.

yes from my experience it's usally the pin connection that causes the weird issues

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #2,515 of 3,128

I had to use dip8 extension leads to get the Sparko opamps to fit into the Conductor 3x. What headamp are you using then in? Because they are flat square boards they don't have much clearance and could be contacting other circuitry. And they aren't encased in plastic like the Burson opamps, plus the bursons are shaped like little skyscrapers.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #2,516 of 3,128
I had to use dip8 extension leads to get the Sparko opamps to fit into the Conductor 3x. What headamp are you using then in? Because they are flat square boards they don't have much clearance and could be contacting other circuitry. And they aren't encased in plastic like the Burson opamps, plus the bursons are shaped like little skyscrapers.

I'm using them in the Soloist 3XP. Looks like plenty of clearance on the sides and above. I'll give dip8 sockets a shot.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #2,518 of 3,128
For those using the Soloist 3X and Composer 3X combo, I highly recommend getting a pair of Mogami 2549 XLR cables. I noticed a significant improvement on the Composer especially. I was previously using Mogami 2534 XLR cables (after doing some reading on various forums, stating 2534 has superior audio on a balanced connection). Swapping to the 2549 produced a noticeable increase in sound stage, detail and clarity.

My previous dac was the Gustard A22 (dual AK4499). Swapping from 2534 to 2549 was very difficult to notice with the A22 + Soloist. Minimal improvement that might be placebo. I recently picked up an HE1000se and the addition of 2549 with the Soloist + Composer took the headphones to another level. I believe the composer is more dependent on XLR cable quality/variations. Was going to purchase an X26 pro to compare, now I see no need. I find the difference between the A22 and Composer, when both stacked with the Soloist, to be larger than I anticipated. Have two superchargers on order and feel content with my stack.

Was there a big difference with the Supercharger? I have a soloist 3XP myself.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #2,519 of 3,128
Anyone have any impressions of using the Soloist 3X with the Audeze LCD-X?
I have this combo and I think it sounds excellent. Especially running the amp in class-a mode. Feels richer and still resolving. The mids are slightly dark, but I like it because I can just relax with them for hours. I’m also gonna compare burson and the GSX mini next week.

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #2,520 of 3,128
I have this combo and I think it sounds excellent. Especially running the amp in class-a mode.
The soloist is always running in class-a. You might be talking about power amp mode? That just skips the volume section (op-amp/gain control). It doesn't change the class of amplification.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back