Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Apr 13, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #2,449 of 3,128
Any cheaper alternative to this amp ? I want something like this but it's too expensive for me. I'm ok with 4WPC 16ohm instead of 8WPC 16 ohm. I like the volume control and display of this unit.

Apr 13, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #2,450 of 3,128
Any cheaper alternative to this amp ? I want something like this but it's too expensive for me. I'm ok with 4WPC 16ohm instead of 8WPC 16 ohm. I like the volume control and display of this unit.
Schiit Jotunheim 2 is regularly compared to the Soloist. I've never heard owned the Jotunheim so I cannot speak to it.

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #2,451 of 3,128
It is not just the output power which makes the Soloist 3XP so incredible good.

Singxer SA1 or Schiit Jot2 could be a cheap alternative but those are far away from the level of the Soloist

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #2,452 of 3,128
I can see why Soloist is good. I would go for it if i had the budget. This is my favourite high end amp.

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative with the similar precise volume control and volume display. Jot2 doesn't have that. Maybe Gustard H16

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #2,453 of 3,128
I can see why Soloist is good. I would go for it if i had the budget. This is my favourite high end amp.

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative with the similar precise volume control and volume display. Jot2 doesn't have that. Maybe Gustard H16

H16 is good, but more the compadetor to amps like the THX 789, A90, etc. The H16 is really linear.

I would look for a Jot2 or SA-1 if you want a budget amp

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,454 of 3,128

I can vouch for the Jot 2. It's a nice amp. But no, it doesn't have a display. Like @Terr0rSandmann mentioned the Soloist is on a slightly higher level than the Jot 2.

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,455 of 3,128
Schiit Jotunheim 2 is regularly compared to the Soloist. I've never heard owned the Jotunheim so I cannot speak to it.
According to ASR the DACs of the Jotunheim 2 and Asgard 3 are bad. Schiit stacks are supposed to be better than Jotunheim. Is there anybody who tested a Schiit stack (or only the amp) vs. Soloist? Btw. I am more interested in the Conductor 3XP. Any comparisons between that and some Schiit stacks?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #2,456 of 3,128
According to ASR the DACs of the Jotunheim 2 and Asgard 3 are bad. Schiit stacks are supposed to be better than Jotunheim. Is there anybody who tested a Schiit stack (or only the amp) vs. Soloist? Btw. I am more interested in the Conductor 3XP. Any comparisons between that and some Schiit stacks?

A lot of audio equipment messures bad, but sounds ground. ASR is for d***** :wink:

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #2,457 of 3,128
The DAC cards are schiit.. but you could still use a jotenheim amp with a Schiit Delta sigma DAC, or bifrost or a DAC by another company.

Or the soloist 3xp performance with a smsl, topping or whatever DAC.

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #2,458 of 3,128

Especially in the entry level range of amps I would rather focus on sound quality instead of having a digital display.

Unfortunately nothing in that range will sound like the Soloist, the same way a Mazda MX3 won't perform like a Ferrari.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #2,459 of 3,128
I do not have the cards for my Asgard 3 or Jot 2. I run the Jot 2 with a Bifrost 2, and the Asgard 3 through a Modi 3+. I just received my Soloist about 2 weeks ago, but so far I prefer the Soloist over the Jot 2.
Update on my new Soloist: I purchased a Hart Audio cable for my Meze Rai Penta, so I could switch the plug end. The Jot 2 has way to much background noise (low gain). As soon as you plug in the IEM's you notice it. The Soloist on low gain, has a tiny bit of noise, but nothing that gets in the way of the music. Suprisingly, the Vali 2 only has noise if you turn the volume up to about 1 or 2, with no music playing. I don't get anywhere near that loud with the Penta's. I'm about 7:30/8 with music playing.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #2,460 of 3,128
Especially in the entry level range of amps I would rather focus on sound quality instead of having a digital display.

Unfortunately nothing in that range will sound like the Soloist, the same way a Mazda MX3 won't perform like a Ferrari.
Unfortunately sound quality is not quantifiable so i'm just focused on clean, powerful amp with a perfect channel matching feature and a screen to tell me where i'm at the volume scale. I discovered SMSL SH9 and Gustard H16 so far but i'm not fully satisfied with them. They seem a bit overpriced to be honest and SMSL blatantly lies about it's power capability.

I actually have Zen Dac/Zen Can stack which isn't bad. It's ridiculously powerful for high impedance headphones. However i use current hungry planar which seems like a weak point of this amp. I'm not fan of the channel balance either. So planning to sell this stack to fund another amp.

I would get the SH9 if it wasn't so overpriced. Just looking for a proper and convenient solution at a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back