Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jul 22, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,261 of 3,120
The new charger arrived this morning and I'm very impressed.
The difference with a stock power supply unit is not subtle, for me the difference is huge and it is audible.

Thank you for your post. Did you have your system plugged into a power conditioner before, or straight into the wall?

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #1,262 of 3,120
Thank you for your post. Did you have your system plugged into a power conditioner before, or straight into the wall?
No, nothing specific. Just APC Performance Surge Arrest like this. It has a noise filter I think.

0731304281399Med1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #1,263 of 3,120
Another set of volume controller chip arrived today. Hopefully this wont have an issue now. Burson have been very fast with the support so far.

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,264 of 3,120
Just for the heads up guys, the second batch of volume control chip that burson sent is working properly. No volume jump from 51-52 and not stucked on the headphone poweramp mode.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,265 of 3,120
Hey guys, just a quick question. Got the Soloist 3xp delivered today ... and it came with a standard chinese switching PSU. I was under the impression one of the USPs of this amp is that it comes with a specially designed PSU from Burson ... I'm confused 😐 🤔

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,266 of 3,120
Hey guys, just a quick question. Got the Soloist 3xp delivered today ... and it came with a standard chinese switching PSU. I was under the impression one of the USPs of this amp is that it comes with a specially designed PSU from Burson ... I'm confused 😐 🤔
MCPS is in the unit itself.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,267 of 3,120
To add to Battousai's comment, in addition to the built in MCPS, there is a custom power adapter that you can get from Burson, that's the super charger but, as you noticed, it's sold separately.

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,268 of 3,120
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing out. The amp is stragit from the factory so it needs to burn in and loose up a bit, but it's already very impressive. Coming from smsl sp400 the power is comparable, but the dynamics and clarity in the upper midrange and top end is noticably better, by noticably I mean it took my gf 20 sec of a / b ing to say "that one sounds cleaner" and she doesn't know anything about audio. Nice one, I thought it will not be an obvious improvement, but ... I was wrong and I'm glad I was : )

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,269 of 3,120
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing out. The amp is stragit from the factory so it needs to burn in and loose up a bit, but it's already very impressive. Coming from smsl sp400 the power is comparable, but the dynamics and clarity in the upper midrange and top end is noticably better, by noticably I mean it took my gf 20 sec of a / b ing to say "that one sounds cleaner" and she doesn't know anything about audio. Nice one, I thought it will not be an obvious improvement, but ... I was wrong and I'm glad I was : )
Since yours is new and straight from Burson, I wonder if it came with the fixed volume firmware chip. Do you experience a significant increase (volume jump) when going from 51 to 52?

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,270 of 3,120
Since yours is new and straight from Burson, I wonder if it came with the fixed volume firmware chip. Do you experience a significant increase (volume jump) when going from 51 to 52?
Hey, no jumps, smooth and gradual operation.

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,271 of 3,120
Just for the heads up guys, the second batch of volume control chip that burson sent is working properly. No volume jump from 51-52 and not stucked on the headphone poweramp mode.
Now that I think about it, for people that use power-amp mode regularly, that volume chip is a keeper. Don't have to wait every 12 really long seconds. lol

MCPS is in the unit itself.
According to their MCPS video from Burson, it's a 2-stage thing the first stage being the power supply itself...unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,272 of 3,120
Yeah that makes sense, so I was referring to the standard switching "made in China" (which is not a bad thing btw) PSU that came with it. Good to know that it is how it's supposed to and the 2nd stage is the system inside the unit. I have to say I'm really impressed with this unit. It's small, light, looks and most importantly sounds the part. The only downside is the power on / off clicks ... which I was hoping not to have at this price point ... but ... ifi micro idsd is also notorious for clicks ... still, would be nice to have silent on / off. Other than that, great unit, driving Susvara and 1266 like a champ.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #1,274 of 3,120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back