Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
May 31, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,052 of 3,120
Thanks Ishmael, I ordered classics with my Soloist 3XP but not sure I got the correct opamps, this is what they sent me. Unless I disassemble the plastic caps and insert these in there?
IMG_7189.jpg
Those look like extenders. Those are definitely not the V6 Classics

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #1,053 of 3,120
burson.jpg

Loving the sound out of this so far, but the details have some room for improvement.

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #1,055 of 3,120
May be this is a question to your DAC?
I was thinking the same thing. When I had the Burson Soloist it wasn't a lack of details that was missing to my ears. I thought the Soloist was one of the most resolving, detailed amps I've heard. What it lacked was some musicality. I wish I would've tried the V6 Classics before I sold it. I think I wanted a bit of that old Burson sound that my Timekeeper has.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,057 of 3,120
I was thinking the same thing. When I had the Burson Soloist it wasn't a lack of details that was missing to my ears. I thought the Soloist was one of the most resolving, detailed amps I've heard. What it lacked was some musicality. I wish I would've tried the V6 Classics before I sold it. I think I wanted a bit of that old Burson sound that my Timekeeper has.
I used to have the Soloist SL MKII before moving on to the 3XP. The latter is way more resolving and open, but I never really considered it a tad less musical.
I haven't had the chance to try a Timekeeper, though. But it must be awesome.
If I want a softer sound (I always had a problem understanding what some people call musicality, but I usually associate it with a softer sound) the Classics will give me just that.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,058 of 3,120
May be this is a question to your DAC?
Perhaps, but coming from A90 there was a notch of details missing or smoothened.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,059 of 3,120
Perhaps, but coming from A90 there was a notch of details missing or smoothened.
Interesting.
I had the A90 and the Soloist side by side and what I noticed was the A90 pushed all the scene to the front. It made some things more noticeable, but the lack of depth was a problem for me. The Soloist had all the details (mind you, this is using the same Composer dac) and a bigger soundstage with more depth in my opinion.
To me the difference wasn't even subtle.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,060 of 3,120
I used to have the Soloist SL MKII before moving on to the 3XP. The latter is way more resolving and open, but I never really considered it a tad less musical.
I haven't had the chance to try a Timekeeper, though. But it must be awesome.
If I want a softer sound (I always had a problem understanding what some people call musicality, but I usually associate it with a softer sound) the Classics will give me just that.
Musicality to me doesn't necessarily mean softer. I have the TT2/HMS and it does transients, resolution, and transparency with the best of them. When I feed it to the Soloist, it felt like something was missing from its sound. I want a full sound without losing any detail or clarity. The Soloist to my ears had everything I liked in an amp except body. Enter the Luxman, now my amping needs have been meet. If I want a somewhat neutral tuning I can switch over to the Formula S/Powerman. I also find it to offer a fuller sound than the Soloist while retaining all the great attributes I like about that amp. It's just a matter of preference really because the Soloist is a very good amp.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,061 of 3,120
Musicality to me doesn't necessarily mean softer. I have the TT2/HMS and it does transients, resolution, and transparency with the best of them. When I feed it to the Soloist, it felt like something was missing from its sound. I want a full sound without losing any detail or clarity. The Soloist to my ears had everything I liked in an amp except body. Enter the Luxman, now my amping needs have been meet. If I want a somewhat neutral tuning I can switch over to the Formula S/Powerman. I also find it to offer a fuller sound than the Soloist while retaining all the great attributes I like about that amp. It's just a matter of preference really because the Soloist is a very good amp.
I haven't had the chance to try the Luxman nor the Formula S. I bet they're amazing.
I guess one must surely get something better out of 3X the price of the Soloist! :wink:
The same way I found the Soloist to be way better than the A90, which made sense given the 2X price difference.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #1,062 of 3,120
I haven't had the chance to try the Luxman nor the Formula S. I bet they're amazing.
I guess one must surely get something better out of 3X the price of the Soloist! :wink:
The same way I found the Soloist to be way better than the A90, which made sense given the 2X price difference.
There are so many amps out there to try. I say to listen to as many of them as you can because they all do something a little differently than the next one. There is no right or wrong amp it's whatever sounds good to you :).

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,063 of 3,120
Interesting.
I had the A90 and the Soloist side by side and what I noticed was the A90 pushed all the scene to the front. It made some things more noticeable, but the lack of depth was a problem for me. The Soloist had all the details (mind you, this is using the same Composer dac) and a bigger soundstage with more depth in my opinion.
To me the difference wasn't even subtle.
Agreed, coming from THX amp (SP200) to A90 then Soloist 3XP there was a progressive upgrade from each amp, I just can't really describe my impressions in words.
Ares + A90 feels slightly more crisp compared to Ares + Soloist, but the rest is what you described before.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,065 of 3,120
Agreed, coming from THX amp (SP200) to A90 then Soloist 3XP there was a progressive upgrade from each amp, I just can't really describe my impressions in words.
Ares + A90 feels slightly more crisp compared to Ares + Soloist, but the rest is what you described before.
I don't have a vast experience with amps. The best few I owned are the CMA600i, Taurus MKII, Cavalli Platinum and of course the Chord TT2. The Taurus is a good amp, I wish I still had it to A/B compare with the 3XP. By memory the 3XP feels cleaner but leaner.
I owned and auditioned a few other amps, but they are not even worth mentioning, like the THX-789. I really couldn't get what the fuss was about that. Probably just the price tag.

IMO the DAC is almost equally important as the amp. They must be on the same level to bring the best out of each other.
It is becoming so personal on this level. More technical/more musical; detail and clarity oriented pairings versus sweet and musically more enjoyable ones. Combinations are endless and the enjoyment factor is not always that much different.

It is a matter of budget, taste and mood. Part of the fun is to audition something new every now and then. Side grade can be just as much fun as upgrade. What is upgrade anyway after you spent 3-4K+ on your system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back