Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #842 of 3,087
I went to try the Soloist 3X today but the store had sold out. I tried the iFi NEO which is a nice all in one unit with the 4.4mm catering to all my terminations, I enjoyed the sound with some albums sounding the best I've heard them. I am peachy keen to hear that Soloist 3X though.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #843 of 3,087
Focusing on the Soloist I had missed the Conductor 3 & 3X which would save me trying to find a dac.
Is anyone able to please comment on either/both of these? The amp section would be in the ballpark of the Soloist?

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #844 of 3,087
That was already mentioned in the thread (actually that was a comment of Alex from Burson) that Soloist + Composer combo has the highest number of Max Current Power Supply (MCPS) - 7 in total. So the combo (in theory) should have better performance than any of Conductors including dual DAC versions.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #845 of 3,087
That was already mentioned in the thread (actually that was a comment of Alex from Burson) that Soloist + Composer combo has the highest number of Max Current Power Supply (MCPS) - 7 in total. So the combo (in theory) should have better performance than any of Conductors including dual DAC versions.
How is the Composer sounding? I was considering it as an option to upgrade from RME ADI-2 but I'm concerned these two are just too close to notice the difference.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #846 of 3,087
How is the Composer sounding? I was considering it as an option to upgrade from RME ADI-2 but I'm concerned these two are just too close to notice the difference.
Even I got different DACs in my possession (also both you mentioned), it is for me really questionable if I could say there clear audible differences. I have both the Composer 3X and the RME ADI-2 DAC connected to my Violectric V281 and do A/B testing from time to time, but even I might think I can spot differences at some point, it is not consistently or reproducible. IMHO the most influence makes the amplifier itself and the headphone tuning. What would you like to improve with a upgrade from the RME sound-wise (that cannot be done with EQ)?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #847 of 3,087
I am hoping to get a wider sound stage and better imaging with something like an R2R DAC or a higher end delta-sigma unit. Years ago I listened to an old DAC that was way different to the RME, sounded less resolute but so analog... I am chasing that feel and sound I guess.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #848 of 3,087
I am hoping to get a wider sound stage and better imaging with something like an R2R DAC or a higher end delta-sigma unit. Years ago I listened to an old DAC that was way different to the RME, sounded less resolute but so analog... I am chasing that feel and sound I guess.
I would try the Denafrips Ares II in your case (and if you haven‘t yet), at least I have the impression of an expanded soundstage in comparison to my delta sigma DACs.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #849 of 3,087
Focusing on the Soloist I had missed the Conductor 3 & 3X which would save me trying to find a dac.
Is anyone able to please comment on either/both of these? The amp section would be in the ballpark of the Soloist?
I have a conductor 3x in my main system. It's sensational. But i suspect the digital volume might make different dacs sound similar. I'm looking forward to someone doing a review comparison of the conductor 3s and the composer 3 + soloist 3. I think the chord Qutest and sparko aries in my home office are better. But no remotes and at least double the price. And the conductor has more power. But since the aries and conductor both drive my LCD4s to excessive levels thats ok.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #850 of 3,087
Audition the chord qutest. It's great.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #851 of 3,087
I still curious if any one in this thread could compare A90 vs Soloist?

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #853 of 3,087
Mar 21, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #854 of 3,087
Thanks. I read this before. Still not sure whether to upgrade from A90. From you description, you think there are more depth in the soundstage or imaging? Like you more like to hear the layers of sound? But for real, how much difference are comparing A90 to Soloist?
Right, except to clarify, I think the Soloist has a wider stage but in terms of imaging (positioning), I think they're both about the same, meaning accurate. The Soloist provides more depth to the image. I wouldn't say the difference between the two is big. One thing I love about Soloist is being able to customize the sound slightly by rolling opamps. So by swapping 2 of the Vivid for Classics I got a bit smoother sound, rounding the sharpness of the highs a bit making long listening sessions less fatiguing. One thing I don't love is the volume control. Don't get me wrong, I like how fine grain it is but I wish it was smoother and more even. I also miss the 4.4mm pentaconn output from the A90 :ksc75smile:.

Honestly, if you're happy with the A90, then you'll get a more significant difference by getting other headphones or a tube amp. The main reason I upgraded was because my A90 died. That's another area where I expect the Soloist to be much better (reliability).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #855 of 3,087
Right, except to clarify, I think the Soloist has a wider stage but in terms of imaging (positioning), I think they're both about the same, meaning accurate. The Soloist provides more depth to the image. I wouldn't say the difference between the two is big. One thing I love about Soloist is being able to customize the sound slightly by rolling opamps. So by swapping 2 of the Vivid for Classics I got a bit smoother sound, rounding the sharpness of the highs a bit making long listening sessions less fatiguing. One thing I don't love is the volume control. Don't get me wrong, I like how fine grain it is but I wish it was smoother and more even. I also miss the 4.4mm pentaconn output from the A90 :ksc75smile:.

Honestly, if you're happy with the A90, then you'll get a more significant difference by getting other headphones or a tube amp. The main reason I upgraded was because my A90 died. That's another area where I expect the Soloist to be much better (reliability).
Oh, I think my A90 is in great shape. One area, I wish I could get more from A90 is the preamp sections. I mainly listen to Active speakers since working from home. I read Soloist get very strong preamp section. I really curious about that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back