Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #827 of 3,120
Got it on aliexpress. Took 11 days to arrive from China and cost me about $35 USD. Very happy with the build and looks, feels heavy and solid like a tank. It sticks out a bit but XLRs always do and the balanced 4.4mm is solid and also with a bent plug, so overall manageable.
Yeah, these some some good looking connectors. I purchased a cable from G.S. Audio (U.S. seller) a while back and requested that connector specifically. :dt880smile:

This is a stock image form the seller but it looks exactly like my cable.
s-l1600.jpg

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #830 of 3,120
you guys are underselling this amp :) but I feel like it lacks bass ? idk or maybe it doesn't emphasis it ? sub bass is all there but that midbass seems gone from my headphones(which is already kinda a weakness) I own he6se/Final Audio d8000pro.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #831 of 3,120
you guys are underselling this amp :) but I feel like it lacks bass ? idk or maybe it doesn't emphasis it ? sub bass is all there but that midbass seems gone from my headphones(which is already kinda a weakness) I own he6se/Final Audio d8000pro.
Event when over 52? :dt880smile: What amp are you comparing to?

With stock opamps, I find this amp to be kind of forward on the mids and higher mids. Maybe it's something related? Maybe getting to the loudness where it takes the bass to where you're used to makes the mids too loud for your liking?

I'm currently using 2 x V6 Classics on the input stage to help with this.

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #832 of 3,120
Event when over 52? :dt880smile: What amp are you comparing to?

With stock opamps, I find this amp to be kind of forward on the mids and higher mids. Maybe it's something related? Maybe getting to the loudness where it takes the bass to where you're used to makes the mids too loud for your liking?

I'm currently using 2 x V6 Classics on the input stage to help with this.
I used the magnius(sold it weeks ago) before, but I currently own a Cayin HA-300, but this has to be the best SS amp I've ever heard off the bat... maybe I just need some burn in time. :) i'll get back to you guys after a week hehe.

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #833 of 3,120
I'm using the HE-6SE v2 with it and I personally find the mid-bass to be nicely flat (coming from the HD-650) but the sub-bass to be more rolled off than I would like. The latter is just something about the HE-6SE v2 itself, because when I lift the pads a centimeter or two away from my ears, the sub-bass becomes thunderous and very impressive, although the mids then recess due to the distance and lack of seal. I haven't done any pad swaps or other modifications yet. I briefly tried it with no grills, but it sounded a little too diffuse for my preferences. It's almost as if the bass reflections are cancelling themselves out with the stock pads, or they just need more distance to propagate properly; i'm not sure which. Also, I think another thing related to the amp may be that if sub-bass frequencies are sufficiently low distortion, then they may not be audible. Certain amounts of bass distortion can be perceived as increasing the quantity due to added harmonic energy

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #834 of 3,120
I'm using the HE-6SE v2 with it and I personally find the mid-bass to be nicely flat (coming from the HD-650) but the sub-bass to be more rolled off than I would like. The latter is just something about the HE-6SE v2 itself, because when I lift the pads a centimeter or two away from my ears, the sub-bass becomes thunderous and very impressive, although the mids then recess due to the distance and lack of seal. I haven't done any pad swaps or other modifications yet. I briefly tried it with no grills, but it sounded a little too diffuse for my preferences. It's almost as if the bass reflections are cancelling themselves out with the stock pads, or they just need more distance to propagate properly; i'm not sure which. Also, I think another thing related to the amp may be that if sub-bass frequencies are sufficiently low distortion, then they may not be audible. Certain amounts of bass distortion can be perceived as increasing the quantity due to added harmonic energy
maybe i'm confusing the two perhaps I swapped mid bass for sub bass.
update: yes, yes I AM ! LOL

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #835 of 3,120
I really want to test this out with my
Yeah, just find a track you know should have some heavy bass, like some electronic music, and just hold the cups a little away from your ears; it's crazy.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #836 of 3,120
try it with no grill and put your hands over the outside kinda create a cup and see if it sounds as if it has the grills or not ?!? I did this and some music sounds very congested and not nearly as good as the honeycomb grill mod. update: some bass songs sound better though so I guess there is a give and take from the mod. I honestly dont think the cup technique replicates the grills on but it gives me more or less an idea what it would sound like with less breathing room...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #837 of 3,120
try it with no grill and put your hands over the outside kinda create a cup and see if it sounds as if it has the grills or not ?!? I did this and some music sounds very congested and not nearly as good as the honeycomb grill mod.
I might have to try that grill mod; it seems to be popular. I meant to put this in the other post, but here is a great test track for sub-bass. I found it on another video below in which the person was using it to demo the excursion on the REL subwoofer.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #838 of 3,120
I might have to try that grill mod; it seems to be popular. I meant to put this in the other post, but here is a great test track for sub-bass. I found it on another video below in which the person was using it to demo the excursion on the REL subwoofer.

my ears feel like they're being attacked !!! lmao oh gawd

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #839 of 3,120
my ears feel like they're being attacked !!! lmao oh gawd
It's a little intense, haha. Not something I'd normally listen to, but it's a useful reference for check bass quantity.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #840 of 3,120
I just tried something out in the past couple days. I bought a pair of Triode Wire Labs RCA interconnect and use them on Composer & Soloist and strangely enough, I kinda prefer the sound from RCA connection as opposed to XLR. I don’t know if it’s the cable affecting the sound or the RCA output itself but the sound is smoother, more natural and analog as well as effortless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back