Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Mar 7, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #736 of 3,087
Yes, it was better with the Stellias, but I would like the option to use iems sometimes.
I’m wondering about getting a cheaper DAP as a permanently connected transport but that can stream and store Tidal Masters and get the Composer or other good desktop DAC that will work well with the Soloist. But keep the R8 for time away from the desktop system.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #737 of 3,087
I’m wondering about getting a cheaper DAP as a permanently connected transport but that can stream and store Tidal Masters and get the Composer or other good desktop DAC that will work well with the Soloist. But keep the R8 for time away from the desktop system.
You certainly can do that and it’s not a bad idea, I’ve been contemplating to do that as well. Alternatively we can use a dedicated desktop streamer and there are quite a few options out there.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #738 of 3,087
You certainly can do that and it’s not a bad idea, I’ve been contemplating to do that as well. Alternatively we can use a dedicated desktop streamer and there are quite a few options out there.
Thanks. Don’t want to veer away too much from the thread subject, but I’m ashamed to say I’m ignorant about how you access e.g. Tidal Masters on a streamer

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #739 of 3,087
Thanks. Don’t want to veer away too much from the thread subject, but I’m ashamed to say I’m ignorant about how you access e.g. Tidal Masters on a streamer
Usually it‘s done by using an app on your Android or iOS device (developed by the streamer manufacturer) and the streamer can directly stream from Tidal, Qobuz, Roon etc. depending on the compatibility of the streamer and the app.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #740 of 3,087
Usually it‘s done by using an app on your Android or iOS device (developed by the streamer manufacturer) and the streamer can directly stream from Tidal, Qobuz, Roon etc. depending on the compatibility of the streamer and the app.
And then, presumably, you would need a DAC that could handle MQA (if you wanted to use Tidal Masters). I don’t think the Composer can do that. Right?

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #741 of 3,087
I don’t think the Composer can do that. Right?
No...but in the end I forgot about mqa). You can sign up to qobuz and get hi-res for streaming.
I have idsd signature as a transportable DAC/amp which is mqa capable if needed (but not really)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #742 of 3,087
And then, presumably, you would need a DAC that could handle MQA (if you wanted to use Tidal Masters). I don’t think the Composer can do that. Right?

It can’t do MQA natively, but, I think it’s ok for the first unfolding, and will get max 96kHz (it’s displayed on Composer’s screen). I have no issues listening to Tidal through my R8 and Composer. R8 alone can do 16x MQA, but I can barely hear any differences with the MQA sound going through Composer.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #743 of 3,087
I just realized that mqa format is may be 0,1% of my collection (which is in many cases can be replaced by a normal hi-res files). So I would prefer to have a better non-mqa DAC than a lower level full mqa DAC.

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #745 of 3,087
Mar 7, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #746 of 3,087
I was thinking, do I buy the Soloist 3XP or should I wait for the 3XR version? :)
I doubt there will be a 3XR version unless....they decide to do something like they did with the transition from Fun/Bang to Funk where they added a speaker amp stage to the circuit of the Fun. A balanced integrated amp in the 3XR chassis might be interesting, but I think still unlikely. What seems more logical to me would be a standalone power amp in the 3XP chassis to complement the Composer and Soloist.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #748 of 3,087
Has anyone used this with HD800? I'm wondering if its reported "analogue" sound signature might help give the 800 some more body?
Not with hd800 but with HD800s, good amount of body and air and also the whole space of hd800s was filled up.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #749 of 3,087
Fair warning to those with both the Soloist 3X and Schiit products with remotes. I noticed that the input switch button on the Bifrost 2 remote also switches the input on the Soloist 3X if it's in the path of the IR remote. I spent a good 5 minutes or so trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound only to realize my Soloist 3X was on the RCA input. I then confirmed that the Bifrost 2 remote does indeed switch the Soloist input.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #750 of 3,087
Fair warning to those with both the Soloist 3X and Schiit products with remotes. I noticed that the input switch button on the Bifrost 2 remote also switches the input on the Soloist 3X if it's in the path of the IR remote. I spent a good 5 minutes or so trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound only to realize my Soloist 3X was on the RCA input. I then confirmed that the Bifrost 2 remote does indeed switch the Soloist input.
I had the same problem my cambridge audio blu ray changed the settings on my musical fidelity nuvista pre. Wrong volume never blew the speakers but it could have. Luckily my rotel power had thermal and clipping protecting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back