Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #721 of 3,120
Thanks for the education. After I wrote that I realized that it makes sense if you are playing files rather than using streaming services. In that case, they act as a network drive and make perfect sense. (Duh!) What throws me off is seeing every new streamer talk about Spotify, Tidal / MQA, etc. That part seems strange to me when you can use a phone as your audio source and get nearly lossless quality over Bluetooth.
Or connect a high quality DAP as I’ve done via the XLR inputs, streaming Tidal Masters over Wifi and accessing the 10,000 tracks I have stored on the player.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #722 of 3,120
Or connect a high quality DAP as I’ve done via the XLR inputs, streaming Tidal Masters over Wifi and accessing the 10,000 tracks I have stored on the player.
I do this except I put a DAC in the middle. I did try the exact setup you mentioned, but there’s an improvement in sound (minimal but noticeable) when I have an external DAC.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #723 of 3,120
Hi
Just received my Burson soloist 3x, running rca from a hugo 2 and a pair of meze empyreans. Didn't expect to need to run in high gain to be honest ! My knowledge of amp power output and headphone requirements isn't the best but I would have expected low to medium gain would have been sufficient. My hugo 2 headphone out seems louder than the soloist. Am I misunderstanding something or do I have an issue to worry about ?
Just received my Soloist and was also really surprised that the gain and/or volume needed to be so high. So much do that I couldn’t hear anything at what I thought would be normal-ish volume at thought there was something wrong with it.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #724 of 3,120
Just received my Soloist and was also really surprised that the gain and/or volume needed to be so high. So much do that I couldn’t hear anything at what I thought would be normal-ish volume at thought there was something wrong with it.
At what gain setting did you feel it was too quiet? Even at high?

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #726 of 3,120
I was thinking, do I buy the Soloist 3XP or should I wait for the 3XR version? :)
Isn‘t the term “Reference” used to differentiate between single and dual DAC chips? If yes, then there should be no Reference version for Soloist :relaxed:

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #728 of 3,120
Why call the Soloist 3XP then? Calling it Soloist 3X would be sufficient, being a balanced amp. The single ended version, if ever gets released, should be called Soloist 3, right?
At this point, only Burson knows the exact reason for the name convention :sunglasses:

Mar 7, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #729 of 3,120
Why call the Soloist 3XP then?
Size wise both Soloist and Composer are similar to their Conductor single DAC Performance line as far as I understand. So It can be a reason they add "P" (Performance) to Soloist.
BTW, Composer is a single chip DAC. I think sooner or later they may come up with Composer 3XR on dual DAC, who knows...

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #730 of 3,120
I think sooner or later they may come up with Composer 3XR on dual DAC, who knows...
Agree. We’ll see later on.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #732 of 3,120
So, you’re not using the DAC in the DAP? Or have I misunderstood?
Correct, I’m using Burson Composer 3X as the DAC. The DAP only acts as the digital transport/streamer.

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #733 of 3,120
Correct, I’m using Burson Composer 3X as the DAC. The DAP only acts as the digital transport/streamer.
That’s interesting. One of my DAPs is the Hiby R8. So you think the Composer makes a difference of sorts?

Since you’ve obviously tried the R8 directly into the Soloist, what volume on each did you find you needed to reach for reasonable listening levels? When I set it up for the first time yesterday, at first I thought there was something wrong as I couldn’t hear anything with the R8 on around 35 on high gain and the Soloist on around 50 on high gain, driving my Odins. I had to crank it up to 70 on each. But on medium or high gain on the Soloist I get a lot of hiss on the Odins. That disappears at low gain, but then I have to crank it up even more to the point where there is no head room.

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #734 of 3,120
That’s interesting. One of my DAPs is the Hiby R8. So you think the Composer makes a difference of sorts?

Since you’ve obviously tried the R8 directly into the Soloist, what volume on each did you find you needed to reach for reasonable listening levels? When I set it up for the first time yesterday, at first I thought there was something wrong as I couldn’t hear anything with the R8 on around 35 on high gain and the Soloist on around 50 on high gain, driving my Odins. I had to crank it up to 70 on each. But on medium or high gain on the Soloist I get a lot of hiss on the Odins. That disappears at low gain, but then I have to crank it up even more to the point where there is no head room.
Yes the Composer definitely makes a difference. Bigger soundstage, better instrument separation.

When connecting R8 directly to Soloist, I was using the 4.4mm LO and crank the volume all the way up to 100. I just control the volume from the Soloist. I didn’t try my IEMs with this setup, but I did try them with Composer as DAC and R8 as transport. Erlky had a lot of hiss and Fusion has no audible hiss but the sound is not that good, even in low gain. I’m sticking to headphones for Soloist.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #735 of 3,120
Yes the Composer definitely makes a difference. Bigger soundstage, better instrument separation.

When connecting R8 directly to Soloist, I was using the 4.4mm LO and crank the volume all the way up to 100. I just control the volume from the Soloist. I didn’t try my IEMs with this setup, but I did try them with Composer as DAC and R8 as transport. Erlky had a lot of hiss and Fusion has no audible hiss but the sound is not that good, even in low gain. I’m sticking to headphones for Soloist.
Yes, it was better with the Stellias, but I would like the option to use iems sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back