Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
May 11, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #2,611 of 3,127
Ok so it is warmer than Soloist. In another thread someone mentioned V-shape

Then again I wonder how the Jot2 would compare to a Burson Conductor 3XP?
Yes, warmer means more bass...V shape is high in the treble, high in the bass. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying the Jot 2 is V shaped, but the bass with the Soloist is more defined than the Jot 2.

May 15, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #2,612 of 3,127
I have a query. Has anyone tried the super charger power supply with the Soloist? Partly due to positioning, partly due to personal preference, I find myself plugging in my IEMs into the Burson more than the ADI-2 which usually outputs signal to the Burson and my Caying HA-1A MK2. That being said, my IEMs are a bit on the sensitive side and the noise floor can be a little too much. Am left wondering if the super charger would help reduce that noise. I did get an iFi adapter which significantly helps in reducing the noise but am just left wondering if there is a tangible improvement in noise floor reduction.

May 15, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #2,613 of 3,127
I have a query. Has anyone tried the super charger power supply with the Soloist? Partly due to positioning, partly due to personal preference, I find myself plugging in my IEMs into the Burson more than the ADI-2 which usually outputs signal to the Burson and my Caying HA-1A MK2. That being said, my IEMs are a bit on the sensitive side and the noise floor can be a little too much. Am left wondering if the super charger would help reduce that noise. I did get an iFi adapter which significantly helps in reducing the noise but am just left wondering if there is a tangible improvement in noise floor reduction.
I didn't notice a lower noise floor when upgrading to the supercharger. Things sounded more dynamic, clearer/cleaner, detailed, etc., but that noise floor on the wrong gain with the wrong headphones was still there.

May 16, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #2,614 of 3,127
Has anyone tried the 3XP with the Hifiman Arya/Arya SE in low-gain power-amp mode? I'm finding it to be noticeably better than using volume control, and the low-gain setting is a pretty good match for my Arya SE. While my DAC (Chord Qutest) doesn't have volume control, I apply a preamp ranging from -2db to -6db (depending on the recording) in HQPlayer on my laptop (which is streaming in NAA mode from a Raspberry Pi), and that gives me my desired volume.
i think it's too quiet i low gain power-amp mode using SE. I actually think it's slightly too quiet using SE in med-gain as well. I've switched to balanced @ med-gain and it's perfect there.

May 21, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,615 of 3,127
I picked up a new Soloist a few weeks back (after having one of the earlier units). This is still an amazing device, especially with the Supercharger (I didn’t have one with my original Soloist). A few small differences I noticed versus my original soloist. The XLR outputs on back are labeled “L” and “R” now, which was a small annoyance on my last Soloist. I opened the top to take a look at the internals, and noticed the V6 Vivids are now zip-tied in-place, and the internal board has a newer version (than some other pics I saw online) stamped onto it (M120X V2.2 versus M120X V2.1 (although, I’m guessing there’s no huge differences).

Attachments

• 95F5A7FA-5A41-486F-A58D-30167D905885.jpeg
    95F5A7FA-5A41-486F-A58D-30167D905885.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B677A672-1696-4CD7-9284-380941766C5F.jpeg
    B677A672-1696-4CD7-9284-380941766C5F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 22, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,617 of 3,127
I should have mentioned this, but I mean low-gain power-amp mode on the Arya SE in balanced mode.
Even using balanced, low gain is too quiet in my opinion. It's loud enough if you crank the pre almost to 100% volume, but I can listen at 100% just fine which is too quiet in my opinion. I think if you are at 100% volume it should be 'uncomfortable'.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #2,618 of 3,127
Even using balanced, low gain is too quiet in my opinion. It's loud enough if you crank the pre almost to 100% volume, but I can listen at 100% just fine which is too quiet in my opinion. I think if you are at 100% volume it should be 'uncomfortable'.
I think it depends on what music you're listening to. I find popular music to need an approx -8db preamp with balanced low gain poweramp mode, whereas classical music can sometimes need even +1db or +2db to sound right. Also depends on the output level from the DAC. Mine is a 3V output.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #2,619 of 3,127
I picked up a new Soloist a few weeks back (after having one of the earlier units). This is still an amazing device, especially with the Supercharger (I didn’t have one with my original Soloist). A few small differences I noticed versus my original soloist. The XLR outputs on back are labeled “L” and “R” now, which was a small annoyance on my last Soloist. I opened the top to take a look at the internals, and noticed the V6 Vivids are now zip-tied in-place, and the internal board has a newer version (than some other pics I saw online) stamped onto it (M120X V2.2 versus M120X V2.1 (although, I’m guessing there’s no huge differences).
I just received my SS3602 from Sparkos today, have not opened the Soloist yet. So in order to swap the opamp, I guess we will need to cut the zips on the V6 Vivids. Do we need to apply new zips with the new opamp?

This is the first time I am dealing with such opamp. Didn't realise it's actually so small. From the photos shared, my impression is it's bigger than that. The discrete parts on the opamp are so small.

May 25, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #2,620 of 3,127
I just received my SS3602 from Sparkos today, have not opened the Soloist yet. So in order to swap the opamp, I guess we will need to cut the zips on the V6 Vivids. Do we need to apply new zips with the new opamp?

This is the first time I am dealing with such opamp. Didn't realise it's actually so small. From the photos shared, my impression is it's bigger than that. The discrete parts on the opamp are so small.
You don't need to apply new zips. Apparently those are just so that the opamps don't detach during shipping.

May 27, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2,621 of 3,127
After my bumpy start with the soloist and the faults in my unit things are hopefully smoothing out. I'm thinking of swapping a couple of the Vivids for Sparkos op amps. my questions to those who have used the ss2590 with the soloist are:

1 - can these be used with the soloist top cover on? (if not, that instantly rules them our for me as I can't trust my cats)

2 can anyone give sound impressions vs the ss3602 in the soloist - (what do the pro opamps really bring to the table)?
Did you ever find out if the ss2590 fit in the 3XP?

/Evert

May 27, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,625 of 3,127
That ASR forum is probably the most toxic place I have seen. I've never seen such a hateful and negative community and engagement throughout the site and reviews. Some reviews are polar opposite of general consensus so taking with grain of salt with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back