Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Oct 7, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #1,651 of 2,256
I think maybe it’s the op-amp configuration or how they were inserted, I dunno! But when I switched op amps around they’re back to normal gain. Back to 50+ on high gain with the Susvara now. Didn’t know gain could be significantly affected by op amp rolling sometimes.
It's shouldn't be that drastic of a change since most of the aftermarket op-amps have some gain build into them.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,652 of 2,256
It's shouldn't be that drastic of a change since most of the aftermarket op-amps have some gain build into them.
I agree it shouldn’t! And yet, there I was. Either it was the op amp (or how loosely they were inserted) or perhaps a software hiccup in either Roon or HQplayer

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,653 of 2,256
I agree it shouldn’t! And yet, there I was. Either it was the op amp (or how loosely they were inserted) or perhaps a software hiccup in either Roon or HQplayer
Yeah, definitely a weird phenomenon. Is the problem repeatable? You may have a bad op-amp or socket

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,654 of 2,256
Got my 3x gt today. Firstly I worry about a fan noise, but when I turn it on first time, I barely hear it.
The sound is good with my R26 dac, very transparent with stock opamp, but sound on bright side on Sus vs Utopia.
Trying #8 config and really enjoy the sound. The transparent still there add a little warm on mid and subbass, sound like tube amp confirmed. Will try some other configs later.
GT now drives my Sus at 56 volume on low gain. Do I need to use medium or high gain?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,655 of 2,256
I have been experiencing the config shown in the pic below for several weeks now. With no Vivids in the circuit, the variance to the stock config is profound.

I will describe this config as rather “tube-like”. But before I do, on a psychic level this configuration is probably the first time I have gone from listening to the music…to enjoying the music. Of course sometimes I do like a deep dive on details and transparent sparkle, but it is more of a place to visit—not where I want to live full time.

So for listening notes: bass is more prominent with low end rumble and weight. Probably a bit more bloomy, versus tighter and precise. I compare it to someone who is bulky but fit…to someone more shredded and cut. You just get a bit more meat to the bass. Feels like a 5-10% bump at the expense of the same amount of definition. I put this all somewhat in the tweak zone as opposed a major change.

Stage. I find the Classics somewhat more holographic. The listening experience feels bigger and wider, as if I am sitting a bit further away from the performance. To me this sounds a little more “real”…and it is pleasing.

Dynamics. Small reduction. My notes says there sounds a bit less “energy” to everything. This is more a feeling than a tone change. I simply find the performance more relaxed. Some tracks this is fine. Others I yearned for a little more. This is more where the tube-like presentation creeps in.

Mids/highs. I think the mids are glorious and really no change from Vivids. The highs are more rolled off. If you have a shouty highs perception of stock…many configs can tame that. This config eliminates it in my opinion. You may miss the sparkle and ultimate detail transparency if you really vibe on that. I think I hear still a ton of detail…it’s just not set to “max”.

Bottomline: If you have other warm amps or tube amps, this might be a step too close to them to ruin the distinction of owning a GT. If you only own a GT, and occasionally wish you owned a tube amp, this config is an excellent proxy.

A few days ago I went back to a pair of Vivids and removed the Classics. That lasted one night and I put the Classics back in. I guess that speaks volumes as to my ultimate satisfaction. If I had to give one word to this config…it’s “pleasing”. That’s perhaps not a typical audiophile adjective, but there you have it. Ultimately a fair retort might be I op amp rolled my way far enough away from stock that I have to accept that I really don’t like a stock GT. I probably do have to accept that. But I do really REALLY like where I landed. I still think that makes it a good purchase for me in the final analysis.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 71D39AA2-8949-4B29-BF39-12FC45D96492.jpeg
    71D39AA2-8949-4B29-BF39-12FC45D96492.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #1,656 of 2,256
It’s a #8 config which I mentioned as well. Relaxing, meaty, emotion.

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,657 of 2,256
It’s a #8 config which I mentioned as well. Relaxing, meaty, emotion.
Very much agree that “emotion” comes back 100% to the listening experience. I consider emotion the obverse of “analytical.”

Well said!

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,658 of 2,256
Thanks for the descriptive assessment, guys. I'll be adding it to the document.

I'd love to try the Classics out someday, as I am trying to find someone to trade with.

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,659 of 2,256
sorry for the plug, but figure someone may be interested.

I've listed my SIL 994s on classifieds if anyone has been looking to try them at a discount. Thanks & happy listening!

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #1,660 of 2,256
I have been experiencing the config shown in the pic below for several weeks now. With no Vivids in the circuit, the variance to the stock config is profound.

I will describe this config as rather “tube-like”. But before I do, on a psychic level this configuration is probably the first time I have gone from listening to the music…to enjoying the music. Of course sometimes I do like a deep dive on details and transparent sparkle, but it is more of a place to visit—not where I want to live full time.

So for listening notes: bass is more prominent with low end rumble and weight. Probably a bit more bloomy, versus tighter and precise. I compare it to someone who is bulky but fit…to someone more shredded and cut. You just get a bit more meat to the bass. Feels like a 5-10% bump at the expense of the same amount of definition. I put this all somewhat in the tweak zone as opposed a major change.

Stage. I find the Classics somewhat more holographic. The listening experience feels bigger and wider, as if I am sitting a bit further away from the performance. To me this sounds a little more “real”…and it is pleasing.

Dynamics. Small reduction. My notes says there sounds a bit less “energy” to everything. This is more a feeling than a tone change. I simply find the performance more relaxed. Some tracks this is fine. Others I yearned for a little more. This is more where the tube-like presentation creeps in.

Mids/highs. I think the mids are glorious and really no change from Vivids. The highs are more rolled off. If you have a shouty highs perception of stock…many configs can tame that. This config eliminates it in my opinion. You may miss the sparkle and ultimate detail transparency if you really vibe on that. I think I hear still a ton of detail…it’s just not set to “max”.

Bottomline: If you have other warm amps or tube amps, this might be a step too close to them to ruin the distinction of owning a GT. If you only own a GT, and occasionally wish you owned a tube amp, this config is an excellent proxy.

A few days ago I went back to a pair of Vivids and removed the Classics. That lasted one night and I put the Classics back in. I guess that speaks volumes as to my ultimate satisfaction. If I had to give one word to this config…it’s “pleasing”. That’s perhaps not a typical audiophile adjective, but there you have it. Ultimately a fair retort might be I op amp rolled my way far enough away from stock that I have to accept that I really don’t like a stock GT. I probably do have to accept that. But I do really REALLY like where I landed. I still think that makes it a good purchase for me in the final analysis.

Cheers!
heys guys/girls... just got a new Burson yesterday... only been turned on once so far... I like every thing about it but would like to tone it down a little with op amps...

@LegionofDoom .... can you please tell me what op amps you are using and in what stage of the amp... it sounds like you have yours tuned to what I like too...

thanks

Oct 19, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,661 of 2,256
Thanks for the descriptive assessment, guys. I'll be adding it to the document.

I'd love to try the Classics out someday, as I am trying to find someone to trade with.
Thanks for sharing many wonderful config. I’m new in opamp world. Now I have SL2590s - 994s - V6 Vivids - V6 classic. Can you describe more about signature sound of each opamp?

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #1,663 of 2,256
Did anyone tried Sparkos SS3602 Dual Discreet Opamps in their GTs?
I’m using them with ss2590. Somehow preferring them over the SILs in my config

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #1,665 of 2,256

Users who are viewing this thread

Back