Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #301 of 2,232
I didn’t want the noise from the airflow entering my phone’s microphone to mess with the actual dB of the noise generated. Hope I’m making sense?

Like the air from a pedestal fan is louder when it’s directly hitting your face rather than if you’re around it.
Yeah, you did the test the correct way. My phone is all cracked after dropping it a million times. My ambient db levels are crazy high so don't know how reliable my test was. Ambient was 40db. I am definitely not in a 40db environment with all electronics off.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #302 of 2,232
Hi Guys, thank you for your ongoing support and your valuable contributions to both Burson and Head-fi. We take all your feedback seriously, and it's the only way for us to keep improving.

Regarding the active cooling system in the Burson Soloist 3X GT:

* Its active cooling system makes the GT much less dependent on its operating environment, and its fan speed is constant.

* The fan speed is optimized for stability, and any manipulation of its speed using any external controller will make the amplifier unstable and void the warranty.

* The enclosure is a critical part of its cooling design. i.e. Air comes in from its belly and out from the top. Thus, cooling the power transistors mounted directly on its bottom plate. As such, the enclosure needs to stay closed for its cooling to work correctly.

* It has a sensor that stops the GT when the top cover is lifted, so please don't try to fool that sensor and elevate its top cover. Doing so will immediately short circuit the airflow and place the 90W Class-A power supplies in danger of over-heating within minutes and void the warranty.

For further information, please email us or refer to its user manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7m9jbNXGVAJS88YzTlnBAE_0xdj6Olf/view

Happy listening!

Team Burson
Well, why did you not just put a mounting adapter instead of a fan so that we can buy passive aftermarket coolers like the Noctua NH-P1 or maybe a AIO Cooler?

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #303 of 2,232
I'm using the GT set at high gain at 80 volume with the V2 Arya. I have complete control of the volume levels. At "1" volume it is very low and barely audible to me. I have also just tested it at low and medium gain and I again have complete control of the volume. At low gain I cannot hear anything at volume 1. My experience is so different to yours, that is why it made me question your impressions on the Arya-GT combo.
Sorry, my first impressions were actually with my 1000SE but they were both similar. Yes my friend, low gain you dont hear anything at one but when it takes 5 seconds to lower the volume because the numbers are skipping back and forth. From 1 you also need to crank the wheel back up for another 5 seconds or more. Thats not good.

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #304 of 2,232
Yeah, you did the test the correct way. My phone is all cracked after dropping it a million times. My ambient db levels are crazy high so don't know how reliable my test was.
You are correct, did the measurement again. And my laptop running normally (not heavy load) as I use it daily. If the GT had 25db level at the fan it would be what I call "near silent" and I would be extremelly happy with it.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #305 of 2,232
Have any 3GT owners compared the pre-amp capabilities vs. 3XP? I have my 3XP running a few different active monitors and it's a champ compared to my other HP amps with pre capabilities. Just wondering if there is any significant gains in the pre-capabilities over the 3XP or if this is negligible.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #306 of 2,232
Have any 3GT owners compared the pre-amp capabilities vs. 3XP? I have my 3XP running a few different active monitors and it's a champ compared to my other HP amps with pre capabilities. Just wondering if there is any significant gains in the pre-capabilities over the 3XP or if this is negligible.
Burson says the GT preamp section is “far superior” to 3xp

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #307 of 2,232
Burson says the GT preamp section is “far superior” to 3xp
Which is why I’m asking. Marketing claims are far less meaningful to me than actual owner experience/reviews.

lachlan didn’t cover this in his review and This was a key omission from the original Volot release.

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #308 of 2,232
Which is why I’m asking. Marketing claims are far less meaningful to me than actual owner experience/reviews.

lachlan didn’t cover this in his review and This was a key omission from the original Volot release.
to me its just slightly better...

also i notice something about gt that is bit unsettling

3gt and 3xp makes different dac sounds about same or similar....

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #309 of 2,232
If any other owners have the XP & GT would very much like to hear your opinions on the pre-amp different. I use my XP to pre my active monitors and I use it as a pre for my Auris HA-2 tube amp. It's pretty damn good at both functions. But wondering if they GT will offer any similar benefits people have been reporting on the hp amp side.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #310 of 2,232
If any other owners have the XP & GT would very much like to hear your opinions on the pre-amp different. I use my XP to pre my active monitors and I use it as a pre for my Auris HA-2 tube amp. It's pretty damn good at both functions. But wondering if they GT will offer any similar benefits people have been reporting on the hp amp side.
i use a pair of 3 driver active monitor as well, to my ear gt made them sounds bit clearer compared to 3xp. just a bit

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #312 of 2,232
Surprised there aren't more reviews on the GT besides passion for sound.
slow delivery. I pre-ordered mine in September, I dunno what happened to “chronological shipment”. Singapore isn’t even far whether shipment comes from AU or China.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #315 of 2,232
FYI shipment comes directly from China
And Singapore is a close neighbor. Pre-ordered in September and orders late October from the US reached them first. I dunno what happened to “chronological” order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back