Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #241 of 2,256
The 12cm Noctua fan is most likely PWM-controlled, for me I had to get really close to be able to hear the fan noise, but my desk wasn't that quiet anyways with PC running 7/24. I guess if you have an extremely quiet room with warmer temperature, the fan will spin harder and become audible.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #243 of 2,256
Lucky, maybe the one they sent me has a bad knob. Even if I intentionally move the knob slowly, it jumps back and forth. It's pretty bad.
Are you getting the same volume knob issue where if the volume level goes back and forth when turning the knob in one direction?
Yes same here. Not sure if its a knob issue or a issue with the electronics with how the volume is reported to the amp.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #246 of 2,256
Weirdly enough, even though the knob does jump back and forth, I actually don’t mind it, I usually tune in by ear. It is odd to have a few quirks like a fan and a volume control knob that jumps volume levels for a premium audiophile product I agree, but the sound is so nice I don’t know whether I’d be able to replace it with something else that plays the Susvara with such finesse.

If there are comparable products for around this price then I’d be keen to try them out.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #247 of 2,256
It's a good thing you can bypass the volume knob with the remote. If it didn't come with a remote, I would be very upset. The fan issue could possibly be addressed with the cool stand. I'll listen to it for a week and see if it grows on me. Burson has a really good return policy. I believe it's 30 days for your money back.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #248 of 2,256
For the people that can't stand the noise of the fan, maybe you can use a "rehobus" or "fan controller", because I think that will be difficult to pin them into a PC mother board (maybe with an elongation cable). My PC Silverstone and Noctua fans are controlled via mother board and spins at 500 rpm aprox. The only fans that bother me are the graphic card fans when playing.

But, before do that, please ask to Burson Team if you won't have temperature issues by doing that.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #249 of 2,256
For the people that can't stand the noise of the fan, maybe you can use a "rehobus" or "fan controller", because I think that will be difficult to pin them into a PC mother board (maybe with an elongation cable). My PC Silverstone and Noctua fans are controlled via mother board and spins at 500 rpm aprox. The only fans that bother me are the graphic card fans when playing.

But, before do that, please ask to Burson Team if you won't have temperature issues by doing that.
Good shout, just ordered a manual fan speed controller ... let's see if / how it works : )

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #250 of 2,256
I just went to medium gain, and using it with reasonably sensitive headphones in the DCA Aeon 2 Noire - there is not even the slightest amount of hiss. Again no harshness either and wow the bass comes alive on the Noire.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #251 of 2,256
No hiss at any volume level or setting for me. Final D8000Pro and Sennheiser 650. As I'm typing I can hear the fan easily from half a metre away, but when the music starts I can't hear it.
I'm having no problem with the volume knob either when changing levels or settings - maybe I'm lucky!
After 48 hours, I'm still blown away by the amazing sound. My other amps are Line Magnetic Mini 841A and Benchmark Dac 1 Pre which I'm using as my DAC.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #254 of 2,256
Is there any air intake for the amp? I think if they wanted to have airflow thru the case they should have put an air intake holes.
Honestly, wouldn't air holes such as the GSX-Mini be superior than a moving (and allegedly noisy) fan?
My tube amp has air holes all around the chassis, it makes and dissipates a ton of heat and the only noise it makes is from the transformers (and is a tiny amount).

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #255 of 2,256
Hi Guys, thank you for your ongoing support and your valuable contributions to both Burson and Head-fi. We take all your feedback seriously, and it's the only way for us to keep improving.

Regarding the active cooling system in the Burson Soloist 3X GT:

* Its active cooling system makes the GT much less dependent on its operating environment, and its fan speed is constant.

* The fan speed is optimized for stability, and any manipulation of its speed using any external controller will make the amplifier unstable and void the warranty.

* The enclosure is a critical part of its cooling design. i.e. Air comes in from its belly and out from the top. Thus, cooling the power transistors mounted directly on its bottom plate. As such, the enclosure needs to stay closed for its cooling to work correctly.

* It has a sensor that stops the GT when the top cover is lifted, so please don't try to fool that sensor and elevate its top cover. Doing so will immediately short circuit the airflow and place the 90W Class-A power supplies in danger of over-heating within minutes and void the warranty.

For further information, please email us or refer to its user manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7m9jbNXGVAJS88YzTlnBAE_0xdj6Olf/view

Happy listening!

Team Burson

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back