Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 23, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #226 of 2,256
I'll have to check when I get back home. That was my first concern when powering up the GT. At first I thought I could hear some vibrations coming through to the headphones when I had nothing playing at low gain, but it was probably all in my head, I couldn't hear those vibrations again after turning it on and off.
I'll have to check when I get back home. That was my first concern when powering up the GT. At first I thought I could hear some vibrations coming through to the headphones when I had nothing playing at low gain, but it was probably all in my head, I couldn't hear those vibrations again after turning it on and off.
the fan works at all times ?. does rmp change according to temperature?

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #227 of 2,256
the fan works at all times ?. does rmp change according to temperature?
For me it looks like a constant speed from when I power it on.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #231 of 2,256
I've made a discovery re fan, if I crack open the top from one side with about 2cm gap the fan noise goes down a lot. Looks like there is some sort of resonance going inside the chasis that is removed when the top has a gap. I also ordered the quitest PC fan I could find online "Be quiet! Silent Wings 3", let's see if I can fit it and if it changes anything re fan noise.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #232 of 2,256
I just got mine today. I have some opinions already that I will share once I do more testing but the one thing I will say, whoever designed the volume control and gain settings should be fired and never make audio products again. Thats it for now, feel free to ask questions and I will answer as I can.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #233 of 2,256
I just got mine today. I have some opinions already that I will share once I do more testing but the one thing I will say, whoever designed the volume control and gain settings should be fired and never make audio products again. Thats it for now, feel free to ask questions and I will answer as I can.
Yeah, the volume control is pretty bad. The remote is mandatory.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #234 of 2,256
Yeah, the volume control is pretty bad. The remote is mandatory.
Its laughable for anyone who is using it at a desk. You have to crank the nob for probably 5 seconds to actually get any change in volume at low gain but if you go to high gain then the gain is to the point where even at "1" volume you are still getting noise. It seems very hard to get the volume you want when you want it. Its REALLY bad. I feel like for most headphones on the market. This amp will not provide a great experience. If you your headphones can make use of the power AND the full volume control then great but I am using the HIFIMAN-Arya and its NOT a good match. Low gain = cranking the wheel up to 60 then if you want to lower it to low volume, spending 5 seconds going all the way down to 20. If you go medium gain then low volume becomes medium volume and its even worse on high gain. You cant ever make the headphones quiet. Compared to my HPA4 where you can use ALL of the volume range with any headphones on earth and it actually has amazing volume step control.

This is just my opinion so far.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #235 of 2,256
Its laughable for anyone who is using it at a desk. You have to crank the nob for probably 5 seconds to actually get any change in volume at low gain but if you go to high gain then the volume becomes to much and you cant ever make it mute. Its REALLY bad.
Well, I am referring to the volume numbers jumping. When I try raising the volume with the knob the numbers jump up and down, making it very tedious to choose the volume level that I want.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #236 of 2,256
Burson-Soloist-3XGT-S3-1-800x600.jpg

I'm no engineer but perhaps the issue isn't with individual on who designed the volume control. But to achieve a low mid high gain of 1W - 10W is quite a spread. My assumption in the variation in volume steps has to do with gain and the huge changes in gain between each level. Thus your complaint at 1W vs. 10W is a tradeoff in design in how they are able to achieve this power level. Just a hypothesis.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #238 of 2,256

I'm no engineer but perhaps the issue isn't with individual on who designed the volume control. But to achieve a low mid high gain of 1W - 10W is quite a spread. My assumption in the variation in volume steps has to do with gain and the huge changes in gain between each level. Thus your complaint at 1W vs. 10W is a tradeoff in design in how they are able to achieve this power level. Just a hypothesis.
I would agree with that. High gain is designed for 1266 / Susvara, mid gain for most headphones and low gain for IEMs and easy to drive headphones like Utopia etc. I find the knob really satisfying btw and have no issues with it so far :)

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #239 of 2,256

Of course this makes a ton of sense but also begs the question, just because you can make a amp this powerful and engineer it, should you at the expense of the end users enjoyment if you cant make it damn near perfect? The amp is good sounding sure but its not user friendly compared to my HPA4. That is my Benchmark for all headphone amps. "Ahh get it"

I guess that's the million dollar question.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #240 of 2,256
I would agree with that. High gain is designed for 1266 / Susvara, mid gain for most headphones and low gain for IEMs and easy to drive headphones like Utopia etc. I find the knob really satisfying btw and have no issues with it so far :)
Lucky, maybe the one they sent me has a bad knob. Even if I intentionally move the knob slowly, it jumps back and forth. It's pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back