Burson Playmate 2 (3W, ESS9038 DAC, Pre amp, DSD512, USB-C, toslink)
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #181 of 280
Damn that's really reassuring to hear.

I kind of regret not going for Conductor instead due to overspending on audio stuff at the time LOL. So I cheap out and went for Playmate 2 instead.

But that's very good to know that it's not too far off.

I might be selling off my V6 op amps if you're interested. I'll send you a PM, thanks!

That's most of the reason I bought the conductor initially, an end game (for me) level unit with enough power to drive whatever I might buy in the future.

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #182 of 280
That's most of the reason I bought the conductor initially, an end game (for me) level unit with enough power to drive whatever I might buy in the future.
I'll be honest I bought Playmate 2 partially to save desk space LOL.

As I try to go for the minimalist look for my desk.

But yeah otherwise for my Denon D5200 it's similar to Elegia that it's not too hard to drive so I figure 3.5W should be enough. But I think the 7.5W from Conductor 3R as you said just make everything sound bigger/grand is that right?

Oh do you have volume issue on either your Playmate or Conductor?

I find Playmate high gain sound better than low gain but it just went from already too loud to even way too loud.

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #183 of 280
Which volume issue are you referring to? The volume knob or the amount of volume? The loudness has to do with the sensitivity of your headphones, you may need to run something like the ifi match to take that down a notch if you have very sensitive cans. On my Elegia's I run on low gain, I don't really notice much difference between low or high with these.

Jan 4, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #184 of 280
Which volume issue are you referring to? The volume knob or the amount of volume? The loudness has to do with the sensitivity of your headphones, you may need to run something like the ifi match to take that down a notch if you have very sensitive cans. On my Elegia's I run on low gain, I don't really notice much difference between low or high with these.
The Playmate 2 is simply too loud in low gain. '01' is too much volume for reasonably low sensitivity cans like Grados.

Jan 4, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #185 of 280
The Playmate 2 is simply too loud in low gain. '01' is too much volume for reasonably low sensitivity cans like Grados.
Yeah basically this, just simply too loud. I'm surprised your Elegia is ok I was under impression that Elegia is fairly easy to drive too no?

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #186 of 280

As per @revolutionz 's suggestion you might want to take a look at our iEMatch designed specifically to expand available headroom and overcome issues such as yours.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 4, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #187 of 280
As per @revolutionz 's suggestion you might want to take a look at our iEMatch designed specifically to expand available headroom and overcome issues such as yours.
I bought one but I THINK it changes sound a tiny bit, first impression is that it pull back the vocal a little bit. More experiment/testing needed.

But otherwise thanks for the suggestion! :D

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #188 of 280
I've ordered a V5i opamp to try out on the Playmate 2, but after I put it in and while waiting for warm up there is a loud pop then no sound after.

So I was worried it broke my headphone, so I double checked and it was fine. Then took out the V5i and plug in stock opamp and everything is good. Scared me for a sec.

I then contacted Burson for a refund since I don't want to risk it again. But everytime I send them an e-mail it takes 3 days for them to respond. And I basically told them I bought the Playmate 2 from my local store but the V5i is from them, and see if I could get a refund. Then he's like check to see if you have installed it correctly, I told them yes I followed manual and everything was correct, 3 days later, please check with your local retailer to see their refund policy, I'm like dude I bought it from YOU, and now I'm waiting for another 3 days again to see what they say.

It's been over 1 week and we still haven't resolve the issue. Is this normal? Makes me not want to buy anything from them again.

Also I'm still having the issue where it's too loud even at low gain volume 1 for my headphone. I think at this point I'd only recommend using this if your headphone is somewhat hard to drive.

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #189 of 280
So I've had a bit of time with the v6 vivid's in the PM2...they opened this thing right up...as far as my less than stellar hearing goes coupled with my "mid-fi" headphone selection, I'd have to A/B and try real hard to discern any difference other than power output of the PM2 compared to my C3R. This little PM2 is a hell of a bargain, I'm almost tempted to sell my C3R and buy another PM2 to recoup some money (I kid....). I have no regrets buying the C3R but this PM2 to my ears and gears is about 90% of what the C3R can do for way less money.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #190 of 280
So I've had a bit of time with the v6 vivid's in the PM2...they opened this thing right up...as far as my less than stellar hearing goes coupled with my "mid-fi" headphone selection, I'd have to A/B and try real hard to discern any difference other than power output of the PM2 compared to my C3R. This little PM2 is a hell of a bargain, I'm almost tempted to sell my C3R and buy another PM2 to recoup some money (I kid....). I have no regrets buying the C3R but this PM2 to my ears and gears is about 90% of what the C3R can do for way less money.
I'd be happy with the PM2 as my only unit on my desktop - I love the sound and form-factor, but the fact that it's simply too loud in low gain with average sensitivity headphones is a dealbreaker, unfortunately.

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #191 of 280
Hi guys, i recently got my playmate2 but i am having this problem with drop outs when i use my Android phone as a digital output, and when this happen the playmate must be switched off and on again, unplugging the cable doesn't really help. I tried with different Apps but it keeps happening. With my laptop it seems so far stable. I own an LG V60 which has enough processing power to handle music and never had problems with it before as a digital source. I was wondering if anyone had such a problem with Android phones? I am just worried that my playmate2 has some problem. Thanks for helping!

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #192 of 280
Hi guys, i recently got my playmate2 but i am having this problem with drop outs when i use my Android phone as a digital output, and when this happen the playmate must be switched off and on again, unplugging the cable doesn't really help. I tried with different Apps but it keeps happening. With my laptop it seems so far stable. I own an LG V60 which has enough processing power to handle music and never had problems with it before as a digital source. I was wondering if anyone had such a problem with Android phones? I am just worried that my playmate2 has some problem. Thanks for helping!
Hello, mine stopped playing after few minutes.
It had to be unplugged from AC to start working again.
It was like this from the beginning, brand new out of the box.
It was some time ago, and I forgot what exactly I did, just remember that I updated something.
I think that I just made Windows update and it helped.

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #193 of 280
Hello, mine stopped playing after few minutes.
It had to be unplugged from AC to start working again.
It was like this from the beginning, brand new out of the box.
It was some time ago, and I forgot what exactly I did, just remember that I updated something.
I think that I just made Windows update and it helped.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Well mine seems to have a problem with Android rather than Windows.. will anyway keep experimenting a bit, may be I will try another phone or tweak the settings.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #194 of 280
Thanks a lot for the reply. Well mine seems to have a problem with Android rather than Windows.. will anyway keep experimenting a bit, may be I will try another phone or tweak the settings.

I've always had to use an OTG adapter for Android to work consistently. I use a Samsung tablet as my source at my desk. This goes for both my Conductor and my PM2.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #195 of 280
I've always had to use an OTG adapter for Android to work consistently. I use a Samsung tablet as my source at my desk. This goes for both my Conductor and my PM2.
Well thanks, that's a good tip to know, I could try that. Or do you think a quality usb c cable can do the job? I used so far the stock cable, which judging from the looks seems ok. I honestly own only mini usb cables, as I have been only in the realm of mobile DACs and DAPs and in the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back