Burson Playmate 2 (3W, ESS9038 DAC, Pre amp, DSD512, USB-C, toslink)
Jul 11, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #107 of 280
Just to clairify, there is a little blinking icon on the front panel but It seems totally normal. The rest of the display doesnt blink. Also the volume knob on my unit has no detents so it rotates freely and smoothly.

Finally, I can use any IEM I own on the Playmate 2 in low gain mode. I can even get up to 60 or 70 with the Tanchjim Tanya IEMs.

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #108 of 280
Just to clairify, there is a little blinking icon on the front panel but It seems totally normal. The rest of the display doesnt blink. Also the volume knob on my unit has no detents so it rotates freely and smoothly.
I had questions about those two things (volume knob and blinking icon). Thanks for clarifying! I won't why they make that icon blink.

Finally, I can use any IEM I own on the Playmate 2 in low gain mode. I can even get up to 60 or 70 with the Tanchjim Tanya IEMs.
I'm using low gain mode with both my IEM and full-size headphones.
Sennheiser IE 900 (16 ohm, sensitivity 123 db): Volume 1-5 with pop music.
Focal Elear (80 ohm, sensitivity 104 db): Volume 15-20 with pop music and 55-60 with TV and movies.

Jul 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #110 of 280
I got a reply from Burson about the volume knob and flickering icon.

As other's have already mentioned, the volume knob itself is not stepped.

The flickering icon happens because the Playmate 2 looks at the incoming sample rate every few seconds. Every time that happens, the icon blinks.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #111 of 280
OK as mentioned earlier in this thread. The Burson with the Vivid v6 upgrade is.. absolutely perfect. For me its all the things. Paints a much more vivid(lol) holographic sound picture in my mind. I can hear insane microdetails, things I haven't noticed before seem more apparent. The sound is rich, organic, huge, open and yet detailed and delicate when a track calls for that. It's very transparent to the music mix. I don't hear any coloration, just perfect replay.
Is this the best device / amp I have heard? Goddamn right it is. Worth $744 bux? YES
4030-3022-max (7).jpg

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #112 of 280
OK as mentioned earlier in this thread. The Burson with the Vivid v6 upgrade is.. absolutely perfect. For me its all the things. Paints a much more vivid(lol) holographic sound picture in my mind. I can hear insane microdetails, things I haven't noticed before seem more apparent. The sound is rich, organic, huge, open and yet detailed and delicate when a track calls for that. It's very transparent to the music mix. I don't hear any coloration, just perfect replay.
Is this the best device / amp I have heard? Goddamn right it is. Worth $744 bux? YES
Nice! I'm eyeing the V6 Vivid as an upgrade down the road. I want to get familiar with the sound using the stock opamps first.

Does the V6 Vivid make the sound brighter? I think the treble extension and smoothness is great right now (using the Focal Elear with LQI silver-plated copper cables; getting the WyWires Red soon; Moon Audio Black Dragon USB cable; looking into getting an Audioquest Carbon USB).

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #115 of 280
Did you install your Vivids yourself or did the PM2 come with them already installed? I have a Burson Play with V6 Vivids that has died. I would love to put these into my PM2. My issue revolves around removing the stock opamps without causing any damage. They sit flat on the MB I don't want to muck around with a pair of pliers to remove them.

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #116 of 280
Did you install your Vivids yourself or did the PM2 come with them already installed? I have a Burson Play with V6 Vivids that has died. I would love to put these into my PM2. My issue revolves around removing the stock opamps without causing any damage. They sit flat on the MB I don't want to muck around with a pair of pliers to remove them.
I think even if you order PM2 with Vivids, they will come in a separate package which you have to install.

This video can help, but Pliers seem like the way to go:

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #117 of 280
Hello.

I've bought set of V6 Vivids (2 Single + 2 Dual) for my Playmate 2 and installed them according to the scheme in the manual (hopefully), but now my active speakers (iLoud Micro Monitors), connected to Playmate 2 via the RCA output, make loud "farts" (sorry, don't know proper technical term for this :) ).
Perhaps someone knows, what could be wrong, and how to fix this?

Vivids have a notch/groove on one side. It's matched with the notch on the socket. Singles are installed in the middle (closer to the blue Panasonic rectangle), Duals - in remaining 2 slots (further from Panasonic).

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #118 of 280
Hello.

I've bought set of V6 Vivids (2 Single + 2 Dual) for my Playmate 2 and installed them according to the scheme in the manual (hopefully), but now my active speakers (iLoud Micro Monitors), connected to Playmate 2 via the RCA output, make loud "farts" (sorry, don't know proper technical term for this :) ).
Perhaps someone knows, what could be wrong, and how to fix this?

Vivids have a notch/groove on one side. It's matched with the notch on the socket. Singles are installed in the middle (closer to the blue Panasonic rectangle), Duals - in remaining 2 slots (further from Panasonic).
Picture?

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #120 of 280
It looks like this issue happens, when I turn on PM2 and then almost immediately turn on the speakers (within several seconds interval).
When I turn on PM2, wait several minutes, and then turn on the speakers - everything is fine (no "farts" :)).

Is this expected behavior?
With originally installed opamps (JRC5532 + JRC5534) I was able to turn on speakers right after the PM2 without any side effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back