Burson Playmate 2 (3W, ESS9038 DAC, Pre amp, DSD512, USB-C, toslink)
May 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #76 of 280
Hello!
Probably a stupid question, but anyway :) - will Playmate 2 work with Mackie CR5-X (active monitors) via its "pre-amp" RCA output?
Yes.

May 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #78 of 280
Thanks for answers, guys!

One more question - should I worry about the blinking icon on the Playmate's screen?
The one, that's is near the bitrate info (see the picture below).
3c1kM.jpg

May 8, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #79 of 280
Thanks for answers, guys!

One more question - should I worry about the blinking icon on the Playmate's screen?
The one, that's is near the bitrate info (see the picture below).
3c1kM.jpg
Both the loaner I had from Burson and the one I purchased also blink, so I think it's safe to say nothing to worry about.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #81 of 280
Shameless plug and long-shot: If any Playmate 2 owners are looking to upgrade, I'm selling off my entire main setup (Burson Soloist 3X, Schiit Bifrost 2, Hifiman HE-6SE V2). There's already interest in the DAC and Headphones, so if only the Soloist remains, I'd still be willing to do a trade plus cash for a Playmate 2. Although in that case, I'd probably keep a pair of my SparkoS to use in the Playmate 2. I'd technically still have an HD-650 I could use with the Playmate 2.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #82 of 280
Anyone else finding that the Playmate 2 has practically no usable volume control range, even in low gain with low impedance headphones? I find that I'm using '01' in low gain for both the Focal Radiance and most Grado headphones, and that's still too loud for me!

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #83 of 280
Anyone else finding that the Playmate 2 has practically no usable volume control range, even in low gain with low impedance headphones? I find that I'm using '01' in low gain for both the Focal Radiance and most Grado headphones, and that's still too loud for me!
Yes, but for cans like the HD6XX, etc I need the range. All I do is adjust at the source so if I'm listening to a Youtube clip I'll lower the YT volume.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #84 of 280
I use mine with a variety of headphones as well as IEMS and in both the low and high settings, I usually end up with the volume around 40-45. Something is not right if you have the volume at 01 and it's too loud. Contact Burson, they will take care of you.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #86 of 280
There is a high and low gain setting under the cover.
Could you please elaborate on this? Do you need to remove the chassis; and where is the switch located?

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #87 of 280
After some research I have discovered that I have mixed this up with my old Burson Play. However, the news is good. One of the settings in the menu display is PRE LV: According to the review I read on Headfonia this is a gain setting and can be switched between Low and High.

EDIT: Reading further into the review this was mentioned

It does take a bit of motivation to dial-up and down the volume range – particularly when using low gain. The volume steps are quite gradual, so you will need to do a bit of twisting to get to your desired volume level. Being a stepped attenuator, there is no problem whatsoever with channel imbalance, but I did find that the ‘low’ gain setting really wasn’t low enough. Using more sensitive headphones such as my Grado GH1 and Audio Technica ATH-WP900 I found that they got ‘loud enough’ at ‘01’ in low gain mode, and the 55-ohm Focal Clear was comfortable loud at ‘10’ in low gain.

My solution to this is via my graphic equaliser which is 'Sound Source'. You can attenuate the volume separately for different sources or applications. The only app I really have issues with is YT which can be very loud at low volumes. Adjusting the Chrome app solves this problem.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #88 of 280
After some research I have discovered that I have mixed this up with my old Burson Play. However, the news is good. One of the settings in the menu display is PRE LV: According to the review I read on Headfonia this is a gain setting and can be switched between Low and High.
Ha, I wrote that review. The Low gain is still far, far too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back