Burson HA160 vs. Violectric V100/200 for HD800 (classical music)
Nov 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dany111777

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Is there anyone who has listened to these both?
I'm looking to buy the HD800 with a Meridian g08 and use them for classical music 60%, jazz 30%.
I can't afford a good tube amp inside the EU, so I am considering one of these two.
I can buy the Burson new for 590 $ or the violectric for 830 $ /1080 $.
Is the difference in sound quality worth the extra cash?

Thanks

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

I have the lake people 109P which is suppose to be very similar in its sound signature to the V100 (according to Freid, lake people's owner or manager with which I spoke to before choosing my amp).
I upgraded to this amp from the Matrix M-stage. 
The 109 costs 3 times the cost of the Matrix
To my ears there is a clear improvement in sound with the 109, the sound is cleaner and more intimate, more accurate stage etc. BUT, the change is not huge. It's a nice small improvement but in the end it's mostly about the headphone. i've heard my HD-800 from several simple integrated amp and loved the sound even though it wasn't as good as can be.
so, even though I didn't hear the Burson myself, based on all the reviews it is a really good amp that drives the HD-800 very well.
If you prefer the violectric V-xxx I recommend checking out the lake-people amps (violectric is a brand of lake-people) as they are much cheaper yet offering a practically identical sound signature. 

Good luck 

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Having tried both, I'd go for the V200. Burson is more fun but there's more of a neutral sound with the V200, which is probably more important with your choice of genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back