Burson HA-160 Mod?
Oct 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

echosf

Head-Fier
Is there anyone who tried to mod Burson HA-160?

When I first looked at the inside of the amp, the first thing came to my mind was to change signal wires (from RCA input to the front of the board). What else can be done?

http://static5.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/burson_ha160_111.jpg
(here is the link from Headfonia.com)

Thank you!!

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Put some real op amps in it? ::chuckle::

Ye, it can be one option. 
blink.gif
 I thought someone already tried mod. No response means "no one did so far" or "they do not want to share with this top secret information"
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Man, this amp is a one big tweak yet in the stock form. Starting from the rectifier diodes, these are already soft recovery high current ones, each part is a respected brand name. You won't make it sounding much better, maybe slightly better or just different but for sure you will invest lots of money to change something without regression.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Might consider to put a copper plate between trafo and the motherboard, some cork under the middle of motherboard for stiffening etc. There's a lot of DIY tips floating around on the net, once you master the Way of Google -> http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb111998.htm

Excellent information. This is what I can easily try to do. When googled, I limited keywords to HA-160, so could not find any.
smily_headphones1.gif
The link provided looks very helpful. Thank you!!

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 10
I am to technically challenged to attempt changing caps but there are a couple of very simple changes anyone can do and that is changing the stock fuse in the burson.I replaced the stock fuse with a hi-fi tuning silver star fuse and the sound of the amp tightrened up.The bass got tighter and the amp sounds more open.Another suggestion would be to upgrade the power cord.I recently tried a pangea ac-14 power cord and the amplifier sounded imho sounded much better defined.Seeing that the pangea power cord was only $29.99 for a 1 meter length this is a no brainer.You can order one from audio advisor.                                                                                                               buson160man

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 10
obvious mods:
- preamp out / loop out
- gain switch (that would make the preamp out more usable, with the limited 24 position attenuator)
- see if the transformer needs damping / isolation
- upgrade parts (if you actually know what you're doing and have experience and measurement tools)
- power filtering cord (active, passive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back