Burson Discrete OpAmp vs Audio-gd Discrete HDAM
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been asked by a manufacturing designer to not disclose publicly on the web. I have the answer to my question.

All I will say, do not assume a higher price tag means it's better.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 16
Having recently purchased them I feel I can chime in.

Sun v2 (dual): 30USD + 17USD shipping = $47 USD
Burson Discrete (dual): 99.80 USD (including shipping) = $99.80 USD

The burson is 2X more expensive.

I will let you know if it sounds 2X "different" or "better" when they arrive. I ordered a week ago and have yet to receive either one.

If I had to guess as to why one may be different I would say manufacturing/QA costs. Perhaps it just takes more to meet the hourly wages/salary of the employees at Burson. More overhead? Higher marketing budgets?

In the world of audiophile equipment the saying perhaps stands "if you have to ask how expensive it is, you cannot afford it."

Best,
Rob

L3000.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 16
Email Kingwa mbd....you'll be surprised by the answer...

Peete.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 16
I would need to know quite a bit of information to determine a reason for the cost differential. Circuit schematics, specific parts used and their specs. Those are the two biggies.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

In the world of audiophile equipment the saying perhaps stands "if you have to ask how expensive it is, you cannot afford it."

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you implying because my dad always spends minimum of two weeks before purchasing something of reasonable value that he is poor? Maybe because of him, I question all products of what they are worth and whether I'm getting the best deal or not. I won't even go into details of how many shops we visited and how many websites and hours of research I had to do when I was little, in 6th grade when he helped me purchase my first boat engine, ended up with a Yamaha 25 HP, fun fun.

He didn't mention your father. Nor did he say anyone was poor for giving thought to a purchase prior to actually parting with the money.

What does a boat engine have to do with anything? I spent weeks thinking about motorbikes before buying the one I did... I only mention it because it makes the world of difference to the two OPA modules...

Back on topic - HDAM was used years ago, so Audio-GD wasn't the first. Certainly in 1993/4 by Marantz with their CD63. However, Audio-GD was the first to use the designs we're all now using. Regarding the differences between the Burson and Audio-GD modules... email Kingwa. I don't want to make it too obvious, but I've heard that there is only a single difference between them, and it was stated in the 1st post.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 16
I know Marantz was the first to have an HDAM and it's their proprietary technology, but it is integrated. I believe that is why Audio-gd claims to have the first "discrete" HDAM.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I wasn't attempting to make any kind of personal attack. I haven't been a member of this forum long enough to know anyone on a personal level (not that I would attack them even then).

I was simply trying to illustrate that there are a lot of manufacturers out there in the world that charge exorbitant amounts of money for their products simply because they can. When people with too much money purchase things that are super overpriced it makes them feel more elite and special. That's all.

I think a great example of this is the jewelry industry in the USA.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Marantz was the first to have an HDAM and it's their proprietary technology, but it is integrated. I believe that is why Audio-gd claims to have the first "discrete" HDAM.

No, sir. The marantz HDAM is a discrete circuit hidden under a metal can. A known trick is to bypass the HDAM as it does nothing (good) to the sound, it's only a buffer. Audio-gd and Burson made a change allowing you to set the voltage gain. However, the idea of the HDAM circuit is something you can copy with a couple of tweaks (or without) and tell others you designed something.
biggrin.gif
Actually, the smart idea was to attach the DIP8 pinout and create three-dimensional PCB structure.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, sir. The marantz HDAM is a discrete circuit hidden under a metal can. A known trick is to bypass the HDAM as it does nothing (good) to the sound, it's only a buffer. Audio-gd and Burson made a change allowing you to set the voltage gain. However, the idea of the HDAM circuit is something you can copy with a couple of tweaks (or without) and tell others you designed something.
biggrin.gif
Actually, the smart idea was to attach the DIP8 pinout and create three-dimensional PCB structure.

What would you do to bypass it? Solder up a DIP8 socket with the IN going directly to the OUT for each channel?

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 16
It is almost like that. However not bypassing the HDAM is a good thing reported in the diyaudio thread. let it be buffer.

I am also told to not reveal who owns the HDAM design .

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would you do to bypass it? Solder up a DIP8 socket with the IN going directly to the OUT for each channel?

What do I need the DIP8 socket for? I cut the trace and take the signal from before the HDAM - we are talking about marantz CD players, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back