Burson Conductor 3 Performance & Conductor 3X Performance
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #31 of 232
No, at this moment anybody has it. Perhabs I Order one direct at Burson.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #32 of 232
No one has them?

I got mine last week.

1591869645586.png

Stay tuned! :wink:

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #33 of 232
Wish these could come out in black too :wink: That matte black Playmate body looks just awesome, but gotta say that ever after I got to see and touch the 3R for 3 days I wanna own one. And now these Perf models are just hitting that sweet spot for me and it's really getting harder not to swap Playmate for 3XP... :D

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #34 of 232
Just ordered a 3XP. Now he is embarking on the long journey halfway around the globe to Europe. I look forward to the device very much, as soon as I have it.

I think the price/performance ratio is unique here. Thanks a lot for the great reports here, helped me a lot in the decision making process!

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #35 of 232
Just ordered a 3XP. Now he is embarking on the long journey halfway around the globe to Europe. I look forward to the device very much, as soon as I have it.

I think the price/performance ratio is unique here. Thanks a lot for the great reports here, helped me a lot in the decision making process!
From your words I suspect you've ordered it straight from Burson? A good deal or there were no dealers in your country?

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #36 of 232
But we have dealers who sell, but everyone has only the 3R in stock. No 3XP. Unfortunately. Hence the order from Burson. Price is good and shipping is 55 USD. That's fair.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #37 of 232
But we have dealers who sell, but everyone has only the 3R in stock. No 3XP. Unfortunately. Hence the order from Burson. Price is good and shipping is 55 USD. That's fair.
Wish I'd know. Polish distributor has 3X Perf in stock.
I envy you, tho :p I'll try to get one for review, but it's gonna take a lot of time for me to get enough money to buy one...

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #39 of 232
One question in the round. Who has ordered directly from Burson Australia? They definitely don't seem to be the fastest in shipping.

I ordered on the 17.6.20. Nothing came. No confirmation of delivery, nothing at all. Then once I e-mailed. At first there was no answer, then I wrote via yahoo mail, where Alex quickly wrote back:

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your email.

We are preparing your order right now and will ship it within the next 12 hours. : )

Tracking information will be forwarded to you by email shortly.

Thank you for your support! : )

Best regards,

Well, that was on June 24th, so it was Wednesday. Meanwhile it is Saturday and still no confirmation of dispatch. Is that normal there? Was it the same for others? I hope they'll ship soon. After all, it's paid for.

Or are there big corona problems in Australia?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #40 of 232
One question in the round. Who has ordered directly from Burson Australia? They definitely don't seem to be the fastest in shipping.

I ordered on the 17.6.20. Nothing came. No confirmation of delivery, nothing at all. Then once I e-mailed. At first there was no answer, then I wrote via yahoo mail, where Alex quickly wrote back:

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your email.

We are preparing your order right now and will ship it within the next 12 hours. : )

Tracking information will be forwarded to you by email shortly.

Thank you for your support! : )

Best regards,

Well, that was on June 24th, so it was Wednesday. Meanwhile it is Saturday and still no confirmation of dispatch. Is that normal there? Was it the same for others? I hope they'll ship soon. After all, it's paid for.

Or are there big corona problems in Australia?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I had a similar experience as a pre-order. Emailed and got the same response. Took two weeks then bam notice from fed ex about attempted delivery with signature required. With me being in US West Coast and you in Europe I’d be willing to bet it’s taking longer with your customs as well.

I ordered the version with basic op amps but received one with vivids so wasn’t too broken up about it. I would reach out again. You’re within your right to do so.

The 3xp does sing though. Definite step up from my first gen play.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #41 of 232
Well I just placed my order for the "P" version from Bloom Audio in NJ..Same price as listed on the Burson direct site + they offer Free UPS Overnight Air Delivery on first orders!
I did a TON of research & for my requirements it came down to the SMSL M9,Topping DX7Pro,Arcam ir-DacII & the Burson,which was the most expensive by several hundred $...As resolving as my main system will be(new amp being built)I hope this is an end game piece of gear,I'm sick of the merry go round...

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #42 of 232
Joy reigns! The postman rang twice and left 2 packages here! :blush:

Among other things the beautiful Burson amplifier! Looks very tasty! Processing makes an excellent impression. Everything worked out fine now after all!

Mounted right away, now a few samples with the brand new Atticus! Look forward to it! I'll tell you later how everything sounds like! But thanks to Australia for making it possible to ship it!:beerchug:

PS: does anyone know what the 4 little chips in the transparent box are for?
IMG_0923.jpeg
IMG_0924.jpeg
IMG_0925.jpeg
IMG_0926.jpeg
IMG_0927.jpeg
IMG_0929.jpeg
IMG_0931.jpeg

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #44 of 232
Hot off the brown truck...Talk about lack of intel on use & set up,omg a newbie would likely end up throwing the amp against the wall in frustration..Gave it a quick 1 minute listen upon first power up,jeez this thing is a MONSTER with the Sundara!

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #45 of 232
Burson Audio Conductor 3X Performance Review

Main features and specs:
  • DAC (ESS 9038QM)
  • AMP (headphone output impedance 0,5Ohm)
  • 6W per channel (XLR)
  • 3W per channel (single end)
  • All Vivid V6 (Single & Dual) opamps
  • PreAmp
  • Remote control
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Price $1,344
  • Release date: Early April 2020

Package and accessories

APQZor8.jpg

Conductor 3X Performance came in all white and very minimalistic modern looking box. The first reaction I got after seeing the box for the first time, is that this is a new era of Burson Audio.

Rng4AA0.jpg

Apart from C3XP the box incudes an external 24V power supply, remote control, set of basic opamps, USB-C cable, USB-to-USB-C adapter, headset adapter, replacement fuse, RCA cables and a hex L-Tool.

hTCChp2.png

The looks and physical impressions

4pVTTsQ.png

To me Conductor 3X Performance has many design influences. It looks modern and classic at the same time. All metal case looks industrial, but also very, very expensive. Judging C3XP by its looks I could easily say it costs four or five times more compared to its official price. Silver metallic style reminds me a lot of audio devices from the 60’s and 70’s. The actual build quality of C3XP is exceptional. Metal parts are so thick and the device weights so much that it is obviously meant to last forever.

During my three weeks test my wife (who is very passionate about interior design) often said how C3XP looks nice and stylish.

JiJA9m5.png

The front panel looks minimalistic and stylish. I’m glad that Burson has decided to keep stickers away (apart from one on the display), connector texts and symbols at the minimum. Even as a technical person I never found them necessary.

The button on the very left is a power switch. Thank you Burson to moving it from back panel to the front. This is much more natural place which does not require extra movement and blind reach for the switch, if your device happens to sit eg. under your monitor.

5duxQpx.png

Front panel’s largest connector is obviously XLR (balanced) connector, followed by single end output and microphone input.

The display is placed in the middle. Although it looks clean and nice, I wish it had a brightness adjustment option. Even 2 or 3 different brightness level options would be enough.

Volume knob feels very solid and expensive. Finishing is exceptional, and it does not wobble at all. The shape is very similar to Playmate’s volume knob.

On the very right is a menu button at the top and remote-control receiver under it.

This picture illustrates the amount of metal Burson has decide to use for C3XP. It really looks and feel like a tank. To my understandings the actual reason behind this surface design, is that the case works as a heat sink. Speaking of heat, C3XP does get a bit hot but to me that is also understandable considering the amount of power ( 6W ! ) it has and all the components that amount power requires.

d38cn5X.png

Rear panel looks also clean and minimalistic. The contrast between white text and silver case is quite low so the text and symbols are quire unnoticeable. The connectors are placed away enough from each other so there should not be any connectivity issues even with some larger cable plugs. Bluetooth antenna uses standard connector so that it is possible to hide it behind the device if you so desire. USB connector has also been upgraded to USB-C which makes connecting cable blindly much easier compared to older A and B connectors.

4VkwCHj.png

Sound performance

This is this review’s hardest part to write. It is not because I’m unsure about the sound, but how good Burson’s devices have sounded thought-out the years.

ydo5QWH.png

#workfromhome

As headphones I have used Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (A pads) and HiFIMAN Sundara (most likely latest the revision) headphones. The whole test was done by using low gain and LP FAST filter. As music source I have used Tidal HiFi (Master & HiFi (lossless) qualities).

Some of the songs I’ve listened to during my review:

Pearl Jam – Dance of The Clairvoyants
Disturbed – Sound of Silence
Mike Shinoda – Open Door
Wage War – Grave (Stripped)
Xavier Rudd – Follow The Sun
Breaking Benjamin – So Cold (Aurora Version)
Steven Wilson – To the Bone
J.S. Ondara – Master O’Connor

I’ve spent so much time during these three weeks to put my listening experience into words and it really was hard. In short, I would describe the sound next to perfect if not perfect. Really, it is that boring opinion. 😊 The bass is strong and very well controlled, the mids are well separated and the highs stayed in the control without any kind of saturation. In general, the sound is very neutral, balanced, and easy to listen. To me this is the ultimate goal. V6 Vivids are very, very good match with the C3XP. At some point I will test it with other opamps. Mostly out of curiosity.

8s2UHTX.jpg

I have also tested Bluetooth input with my iPhone XS. Apart of spending some time tying to find a guide how to pair the two, I have realized it was simpler than I thought. 😊 (First enable the Bluetooth in C3XP and then pair it with your mobile device). Nevertheless, Bluetooth connection was working well, and the sound is probably the best you can have by using Bluetooth as a source. Even the Bluetooth is not the most common choice within audiophiles, at least you have plenty of choice to choose from.

The build quality doesn't stop at the case. The PCB is exceptionally well built with no messy soderings and compromises regarding the connectors.

OI47p49.jpg

End of an era and the beginning of the new one…

Until this review my daily driver for quite some time now was Burson Playmate Everest I reviewed almost a year ago. Since then I was wondering will Burson fill the gap between Playmate and Conductor 3 models by having a bit of both worlds for a fair price. The news about C3X and C3XP models’ release got me excited because that felt like a natural step into the right direction. C3XP feels and looks more polished, more expensive, and more mature in terms of features. I am glad that Burson is taking time with these designs instead of pushing different models out on a constant basis for the sake of having a new release of the same model each year.

UlBWKXr.png

Unfortunately, there are very few photos with Playmate Everest and Conductor 3X Performance next to each other, so I wanted to share a few just to illustrate the evolution between the two. You can easily notice the similarities and the freedom Burson got by moving on from 5,25” slot size.

3IvuOYn.png

e5I5ZKy.png

lkI1thw.png

A quote from my Playmate Review:

“If there is something, I could hope for is the casing. Personally, I think it’s a good time to move on from ‘DVD’ cases especially with the models designed with gamers in mind. Being a PC enthusiast and gamer myself I can’t remember when was the last time I saw a relatively new gaming case with the 5,25” slot. My personal preference would be black / silver coloring with a bit shorter and wider case for desktop use.”

In April 2020 Conductor 3 family was expanded by two cheaper models. If anything, I would say that Burson is listening to our feedback and making our wishes a reality. Especially considering the current world we are living in.

Conductor 3X Performance was built to last forever.

YfUt0aG.png

Thank you, Burson Audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back