Burson Audio Play DAC/amp - Audible Current Noise/Ringing Noise
Aug 2, 2018 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DaWolf1205

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with current noise/ringing noise caused by amps, and if you have any suggested workarounds.

I have been using the Burson Audio Play (V6 Vivid opamp version) for about 1 month now. I really like it, but there is this issue that has persisted up until now: As soon as the amp is switched on, there is a high pitched ringing noise coming through the right side of the connected headphones. The ringing remains the same volume, regardless of what the volume setting is on my PC and regardless of what volume is set on the amp itself. Even if they are set to 0, it it still there.

Here's where it gets a little weird: When using the Sennheiser HD600, the ringing noise seems to fade away after about 30 mins - 1 hour of use. However, when using the Fostex TR-X00, the ringing noise never goes away.

After reaching out to Burson for support, they informed me that they believe this is current noise. Their full response: "The Play works in pure Class A and outputs over 2Wpc. ie it is working at full capacity all the time. As such, with sensitive headphones, you could hear some current noise. The right channel on the circuitry is closer to the power supply than the left channel and as such it is picking more current noise when compared to the left.
With less sensitive headphones, this current noise is not noticeable but with more sensitive phones, you could hear it."

The only solution they could offer was suggesting that I buy an adapter like this Ear Buddy, but this one they linked to is for 3.5mm devices (while the amp itself uses a 6.3mm port and my cables are also 6.3mm) and they could not suggest any other models. I'm willing to buy an extra adapter myself if it will solve the problem, but I just don't know what my options are.

Have any of you dealt with current noise issues before? Do you think a replacement would solve the issue, or are there other adapters that I can look into?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back