Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Sep 9, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #676 of 719
Not sure if it worth the trouble and shipping costs, but if you really want to, I should be able to provide you V6s Classic & Vivid.

Almost 0.5 Ohms I measured as well, on PLAY, PLAYMATE and FUN, at around 1KHz. @amirm measured about the same on PLAY.

I can't find my scope measurements right now, but I think that without load AC ripple & noise was at most 1mV RMS; I also remember that my FUN had +/-17V on the opamps, but please wait until I'll find my measurement or I'll need to do them again on next weekend.

Cool! So my output impedance measurement is not flawed.

As for the Burson V6s probably not worth the trouble, thanks a lot for the offer! I will look around locally if any of my audiophile friends have them.

I will check again the ripple noise of the power supply, but not able to supply more than 650 mA is way out of spec. Hopefully this is only my case.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #677 of 719
I have a question. I want use my Burson Fun with the Molex in the PC but there is a crazy amount of noise. I routed the normal dc power cable trough the extension cover slot and the noise disappeared completely. With the RCA cable and the DAC inside the case and still no noise whatsoever. At the moment I switched to Molex and the crazy noise resumed. I have PC power supply that is considered very good but the noise is horrible And I need for the Fun to stay in the case and to be powered my Molex. Do you know solution for that?

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #678 of 719
I've used FUN last year with MOLEX inside a very expensive setup with a 2KW PSU and 4 x GTX1080Ti inside and no noise on my cans. Let me try it again this evening with a normal PC and will get back to you.

However, if you can find a way to re-route the DC power cable from FUN's original PSU to get inside the case, then maybe this would be better.

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #679 of 719
I have a question. I want use my Burson Fun with the Molex in the PC but there is a crazy amount of noise. I routed the normal dc power cable trough the extension cover slot and the noise disappeared completely. With the RCA cable and the DAC inside the case and still no noise whatsoever. At the moment I switched to Molex and the crazy noise resumed. I have PC power supply that is considered very good but the noise is horrible And I need for the Fun to stay in the case and to be powered my Molex. Do you know solution for that?
I think it's pretty obvious that the noise comes from your PSU and you'll need to update it. But honestly I don't recommend putting any of the Burson desktop line (Play, Fun) into a PC case, unless you have good airflow. They tend to run warm

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #680 of 719
I think it's pretty obvious that the noise comes from your PSU and you'll need to update it. But honestly I don't recommend putting any of the Burson desktop line (Play, Fun) into a PC case, unless you have good airflow. They tend to run warm
No, it was not the PSU. It was horrible grounding issue between the Fun and the Khadas tone board. I already solved it. Plugged the Khadas into very expensive Intona USB isolator and this solved all the noise, totally silent now and no sound change. Motherboard USB header to Intona isolator to Khadas DAC to
Burson Fun. And everything is inside the PC case. Yes, total of 7 fans are cooling everything :)

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #682 of 719
Great news @yavormoskov that you managed to fix this!

It's all about the positive airflow pressure to keep FUN temperature lower.
The airflow is not horrible but it could be better. 6 ft each of USB B and 6 Ft of USB C cables does not help. Or the very long RCAs. This would be the next project. To make all the cables by myself. But the major issue is solved :) I am not obsessed with super expensive cables but 5 $ USB cables and not much more expensive RCA do not help I guess. I am thinking Mogami 2497 with some KLEI silver harmony plugs would play nice with the Burson Fun. This is a photo of the Fun inside the PC case.

fun.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #683 of 719
Been playing with my burson fun for a while now. Noticed that it was sensitive to a lot of things - with my apogee groove at 100% feeding 5v line in the amp was input clipping. Got it fixed by pulling the groove down by 8db which got it to 2v line out.

The amp buzzes if i touch the front panel with my hand also, buzzes heavily if i touch the line in wire termination (i hear this impulsive snap every time i remove and plug in the line in to my dac).y Power cycles quite a bit when turning on.

Sonically I like it for the most part. Super clean and low noise. Quite lots of power. However I have an issue. And for me it's nearly a deal breaker. It seems to have slightly blunted transients. It's nowehere near as plasticky as an electrostat but it's not quite as sharp as I'd expect it to be. Bass squarewaves slightly boom instead of hitting with authority. I do get a fair sense of hit in a lot of areas, but still not the force I'd expect. The one I have came with V6 vivid opamp. Someone measured in asr the transient smearing indeed is there - square waves at higher frequencies are slightly blunted and sine waves at higher frequencies are somewhat phase shifted. Do you think swapping the opamp to sparkos ss3601 can fix this? Or does it come from the low pass filter on the amp. I've ordered a pair of sparkos so curious to see how it goes.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #684 of 719
Like most single-ended amplifiers, a 2V RMS input signal would be required. This is about the max. input level for all amps, not just for BANG, so that is not a low-light, it's a pure spec, so there's nothing to be "fixed", just adjust properly the output level of your audio source, like you already did. :)

This amp has no real ground, because it is using a SMPS power brick not connected to mains earthing (2-pole plug). That means you need to use some grounding to your audio source; I guess Apogee Groove has no grounding too, so you might want to use a different audio source or ground your BANG somehow.

The power cycling might be caused by the poor jack 12V power-plug connection or by the inside relay (on some BANGs, the voltage regulator for this relay might provide a bit lower voltage). Either you wait few seconds to stabilize the voltage, either you RMA it.

I don't remember me having any issues with the squarewave response, even when I went down to 20Hz. I think I posted sqarewave response on my BANG review.

How do you check the response of these squarewaves, please?
What opamps are you using now?

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #685 of 719
Like most single-ended amplifiers, a 2V RMS input signal would be required. This is about the max. input level for all amps, not just for BANG, so that is not a low-light, it's a pure spec, so there's nothing to be "fixed", just adjust properly the output level of your audio source, like you already did. :)

This amp has no real ground, because it is using a SMPS power brick not connected to mains earthing (2-pole plug). That means you need to use some grounding to your audio source; I guess Apogee Groove has no grounding too, so you might want to use a different audio source or ground your BANG somehow.

The power cycling might be caused by the poor jack 12V power-plug connection or by the inside relay (on some BANGs, the voltage regulator for this relay might provide a bit lower voltage). Either you wait few seconds to stabilize the voltage, either you RMA it.

I don't remember me having any issues with the squarewave response, even when I went down to 20Hz. I think I posted sqarewave response on my BANG review.

How do you check the response of these squarewaves, please?
What opamps are you using now?

The opamp I currently have is burson V6 vivid.

Post #5 is yours right?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...aked-pics-some-technical-thoughts-a-s-o.3958/

Saw some blunting in 20khz squares and phase shift in 20khz sines.

I'll check about the grounding. It won't affect the sound right as long as I'm not touching the chassis? Or will it? The groove is a thumb drive sized dac + amp that derives its power from my laptop usb port. I'm looking to move away from my windows laptop to allo sparky + linux soon.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #686 of 719
Yes, it's mine, but the amount of the roll-off is quite tiny when using sinewaves.

For squarewaves the difference looks bigger, but this is normal due to the squarewaves, but most important thing is that there is no pre/post ringing at 20KHz. Manufacturers can disable the low-pass filter, but this is not desirable on a long term because we still need some sort of protection in case ultrasounds are injected from an audio source (an oscillating DAC etc.).

If you don't touch the chassis the sound will not be affected at all. Your laptop has also 2-poles plug, or even if it's a 3-pole plug the grounding is still not connecting to the laptop, so your entire audio chain is somehow floating...or at least this is how I see it. Probably using a desktop computer will ground the BANG properly, but you can use the laptop as well.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #687 of 719
Yes, it's mine, but the amount of the roll-off is quite tiny when using sinewaves.

For squarewaves the difference looks bigger, but this is normal due to the squarewaves, but most important thing is that there is no pre/post ringing at 20KHz. Manufacturers can disable the low-pass filter, but this is not desirable on a long term because we still need some sort of protection in case ultrasounds are injected from an audio source (an oscillating DAC etc.).

If you don't touch the chassis the sound will not be affected at all. Your laptop has also 2-poles plug, or even if it's a 3-pole plug the grounding is still not connecting to the laptop, so your entire audio chain is somehow floating...or at least this is how I see it. Probably using a desktop computer will ground the BANG properly, but you can use the laptop as well.

I definitely sense a lack of hit as compared to my nx4dsd and apogee groove on the burson fun. Visible on all my headphones - especially on my srh1540 which is very sensitive to this. Not sure which parameter i can attribute it to, but I'm mostly banking on the low passing since I've heard this effect before.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #688 of 719
I am starting to get tired of the Fun with the Sparkos inside. The treble extension and energy is too much for my ears. I might buy Sonic Imagery Labs 992Enh-Ticha. I've heard that Ticha is still better than Burson op-amps.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #690 of 719
As the Burson Fun has output RCA´s to be used as a Pre amp, I suppose it can be used as a headphone amp and at the same time be connected to a receiver/speaker amp by connecting the pre amp out at the Fun to a Line in at the receiver, by using a stereo Interconnect cable.

But, when I do so, the sound level will be VERY low at the receiver and when turning the volume knob up (CW) at the Fun, the sound will go off and there´s a hearable click from a relay in the Fun, and after turning the volume knob down again (CCW), there´s another click again and the dampened sound will come back.

Is´nt it possible to use the Fun as a Pre amp, connected to a receiver´s Line in for listening to speakers?

I´ve tried with both a pair of headphones connected and unconnected with the same result!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back