Burson Audio AB-160 Buffer - Group Buy
Aug 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
I was recently contacted by John Delmo from Burson Audio regarding their AB-160 Audio Buffer. John had stumbled on to my website and was really excited as he put it “you are the first retailer I have come across that sells audiophile graded iPod accessories” Thank you very much John.

buffer1sm.jpg

The reason for all the excitement? Enter the Burson Audio AB-160 audio buffer. As he put it the AB-160 and among other enhancements Burson Audio buffer removes any impedance mismatching by acting as an isolation platform between the Ipod and downstream amplifiers (preamp, intergraded amp, etc). And according to the folks as Burson, It is guaranteed to improve dynamics, tightness and deeper more meaningful bass.

buffer_backsm.jpg

After doing some additional reading about impedance mismatches and some reviews as well as some rather glowing user reports, I was willing to bite. I asked to order one but was still pretty skeptical. I mean jeeze we are talking the addition of the buffer and all its guts and 2 extra interconnects in the signal path, eh?

After about a week the AB-160 arrives:
Source: iPhone
ALO iPhone Fidelity Bamboo Dock
Interconnects: ALO SXC Cryo 4 wire
Amplifier: Red Wine Audio Isabella Preamp, Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage
Speaker Cables: ALO 6 Shooter SXC Hybrid copper/silver
I que up Pink Martini’s Amado Mio from the Sympathique album

pink_martini_sympathique_front.jpg
pink_martini_sympathique_back.jpg

with out the buffer. Ok, then add the buffer, fire up the track, whoa what’s this? yeah it was pretty noticeable difference. The thing I noticed first was about a 5db increase in volume but clearly there was a significant improvement in the low to mid range dynamics and over all tightness, much better bottom end. The set up with out the AB-160 sounded thin pale and stark in comparison. I mean I was really blown away! I wrote John back saying how much I was impressed with the buffer; of course he wants ALO to buy a bunch
bigsmile_face.gif
I express my concern that while the cost clearly is worth the price for what you get, I mean this is arguably a better improvement from going from an ipod to an iMod. My concern is that many of my customers also have a Wadia iTransport and would arguably be using a iTransport, thus would not need something like the AB-160. John suggested I put the AB-160 in line between the iTransport and the amp. Ok ?

So I run out to my shop and give it a go, well the AB-160 is a permanent member of the rig now, the AB-160 with the iTransport was awesome and reflected a terrific improvement in body and dynamics coupled with the iTransport. Personally some times the iTransport to me can be a bit on the analytical side compared to my iMOd set up with the V-cap Dock. The AB-160 clearly took the edge off my iTransport rig, with all a more dynamic and musical presentation, and again better bass. The ipod or ipod with iTransport proved to be a no brainer for any ipod based system. It was one of those gear improvements that permanently ruins you, where one is spoiled for the lack of the component is just not right. John suggested I also try it with my CD player as well.

So I was pretty excited to carry the buffer and want to see if there might be any interest in a group buy and take advantage of a discount. The AB-160 is retail $500 plus SH but if I can get enough folks in on a group buy (dead line is end August 22) I can offer the AB-160 at $425 plus SH. If anyone is interested or has any questions please do email me at audiolineout@gmail.com

More info on the AB-160 can be found HERE AB-160 INFO

Add one of our new Bamboo iPhone/iPod docking stations (comes with 5v charger) and a .5 meter ALO SXC Cryo IC, and our newest generation Bamboo iPhone/iPod dock for $299! Our new iPhone docks now use ALO/RWA ipod dock PCB board. The new Bamboo docks are slightly taller and are bottom weighted.

buffer_dock.jpg

ALO_RWA_PCBsm.jpg

Our new ipod PCB dock boards!
L3000.gif

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 5, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 17
Have you tried the AB-160 between a iMod/iPod and the Amphora, (if there is a need) and could there be a way to power the AB-160 off the grid?

Kevin

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the AB-160 between a iMod/iPod and the Amphora, (if there is a need) and could there be a way to power the AB-160 off the grid?

Kevin

Kevin,

Good idea! I will give it a try and report back. I can also do a combo Amphora Deal as well if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 17
I'm interesting the HA160 Amp. Can you add it to this group buy?

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef_Curry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interesting the HA160 Amp. Can you add it to this group buy?

Hey Beef Curry,

You bet.

Thanks.

Ken

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Beef Curry,

You bet.

Thanks.

Ken

I will ordered 2 pcs., for me and my friend.
Just remind, I want HA-160 not a AB-160.

Thanks
kwan

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 17
Are you selling those PCB dock boards by any chance? Or are they only for your products?

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and could there be a way to power the AB-160 off the grid?
Kevin

I can look into this. We have new SMART boards that can run one or two 12V SLA batteries for +12V, +24V, or +/-12V.

We are also working on another board that can run three or four 12V SLA batteries for +36V, +48V, and +/- 24V.

In the near future, I plan to offer custom high-current SLA battery power supplies. Get off the grid: About > Why SLA Battery Power? - Red Wine Audio

If Ken wants, I can look into what voltages the AB-160 (and even the HA-160) runs on and we can see what can be done.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef_Curry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will ordered 2 pcs., for me and my friend.
Just remind, I want HA-160 not a AB-160.

Thanks
kwan

Sorry Kwan,

I am only selling the Audio Buffer 160.

Ken

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can look into this. We have new SMART boards that can run one or two 12V SLA batteries for +12V, +24V, or +/-12V.

We are also working on another board that can run three or four 12V SLA batteries for +36V, +48V, and +/- 24V.

In the near future, I plan to offer custom high-current SLA battery power supplies. Get off the grid: About > Why SLA Battery Power? - Red Wine Audio

If Ken wants, I can look into what voltages the AB-160 (and even the HA-160) runs on and we can see what can be done.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie,

That would be awesome if you could get an off the grid solution to the AB-160. I will call you with the information you will need and arrange to send you out my AB-160.

Thanks again!

Ken

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you selling those PCB dock boards by any chance? Or are they only for your products?

Hey Currawong,

I am not selling the PCB boards at this time, sorry.

Thanks

ken

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, is there a posibility to fit the new boards to the older units? I mean would the older docks sound better? Thanks.

Hi Miguel,

sadly the cut out of any of the older enclosures are probably not going it fit unless you undergo some major alterations. The "older" docks are probably not going to sound any worse or better, the new PCB board just makes it much simpler to build.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back