burning cds with itunes, HELP
Mar 24, 2003 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cdub

Head-Fier
I am using itunes to burn cds. I can burn audio cds from my library. BUT the problem is its burns the music from mp3s which results in loss of quality.

I want to know if there is a way to copy and burn redbook cds using itunes. Thanks you guys.

Mar 25, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 14
um...I do not think so. While you can burn MP3s at AIFF level, but what would be the point. The orginal data, from the CD, is not there. Just the MP3 data.

If you want to burn original CD quality out of iTunes, you have to import the sound files from the CD as AIFF instead of MP3 and setup the playlist accordingly.

This is much easier to do in Toast because Toast will set up a temporary partition to host the files off of the CD. (You can do a straight copy from another CD-ROM but the process is much slower than burning from your hard drive.)

Mar 26, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks you guy for clearing that up. AIFF for mac, right?

Do you guys have any software reccomendations for burning cds, such as Toast titanium, or toast with Jam?

Mar 27, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 14
cdub:
Toast is a decent program and probably the best for Mac. It is more or less the gold standard in Mac-land and does a good job with audio discs. Jam works but is bit flaky when using OS X, especially when the time comes to actually burn the CD. YMMV.

Mar 30, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by PatM
cdub:
Toast is a decent program and probably the best for Mac. It is more or less the gold standard in Mac-land and does a good job with audio discs. Jam works but is bit flaky when using OS X, especially when the time comes to actually burn the CD. YMMV.

I haven't had any problem with Toast and OSX (10.2.4).

Toast is great, but I'd just make sure you need it before buying. Even more so for Jam. I use both, but 85-90% of what I do could be done with iTunes and/or Disk Copy (a little easier with the former, a little harder with the latter). This is assuming you're using OSX.

Mar 30, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 14
It sounds kind of like cdub wants to burn discs from his Library... the AIFF advice was good. AIFF and WAV are not exactly the same thing, IIRC, and Macs really don't care which format it is. As long as you can match the sampling rate and the linear resolution, the file format doesn't matter.

If what you really want to do is copy a CD using a Mac... the free solution is to use xcdroast:

http://www.xcdroast.org/

Mar 30, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks you guys!!! I want to copy my existing cds and also burn from my library.

It seems like I'll go with the free program,xcdroast, for copying and stick with itunes for burning from the library.

But say I want to burn images from my digital camera or text files or other stuff...than I need a program like toast...right?

Mar 30, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 14
Well, maybe not. You can burn HFS and (I think) ISO file systems straight from the Finder, with whatever files you want on there. I think xcdroast can handle non-audio discs, too.

There are quite a few free tools to make divx, vcd, svcd, whatever. fortytwo can transcode DVD to other formats... I'm not sure if it can burn, too, but I think it can. Most of these things are just various front-ends to cdrecord/cdrtools with additional features to ease making CD or video discs.

Mar 30, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by phonatic
Well, maybe not. You can burn HFS and (I think) ISO file systems straight from the Finder, with whatever files you want on there. I think xcdroast can handle non-audio discs, too.

There are quite a few free tools to make divx, vcd, svcd, whatever. fortytwo can transcode DVD to other formats... I'm not sure if it can burn, too, but I think it can. Most of these things are just various front-ends to cdrecord/cdrtools with additional features to ease making CD or video discs.

Agree. Besides the specailty burns (VCD, etc.) you can use Finder/Disk Copy to burn discs (such as photos, etc.).

From OSX's help-
If your computer has a drive that can burn CD or DVD discs,, you can create your own CD and DVD discs right in the Finder.

Insert a blank disc. Choose an application from the Action pop-up menu and give the disc a name. Drag what you want to burn onto the disc icon. After the data has been copied to the disc, drag the disc to the Burn icon in the Dock.

By default, CDs are burned in a hybrid format and can be used with non-Macintosh computers.

To choose what happens automatically when you insert a blank disc, open System Preferences and click CDs & DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back