Burn-in...
Nov 29, 2007 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

VolkswagenFox

100+ Head-Fier
I know that burn-in is quite a controversial topic around here. I think the reason that burn-in has not been proven is that people don't own two of the same headphones. Well, I happen to have two Alessandro MS-1s.
biggrin.gif
One belongs to me, and has been used for almost 100 hours. The other pair will be a Christmas present to my dad, and it just happens to have exactly zero hours of use.
biggrin.gif
Would you guys be interested if I write a little review, comparing the burned in and unburned in MS-1s?

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 10
Uh, did you hear them both when they were new to confirm that they sounded identical and weren't, say, from different production runs with slightly different sounds?

Surely you can write this review if you like, just be careful how you phrase your claims and get ready for dispute even then. I'm sure many would find it interesting to hear the results either way.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, did you hear them both when they were new to confirm that they sounded identical and weren't, say, from different production runs with slightly different sounds?

I ordered them almost at the same time, and they did sound the same (Mine only had 6 hours of use back then). I will keep burning in my already used pair, for about a week or so with some pink noise overnight.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Not unless you have some plan to make sure you don't know which is which when you're listening to them. And, as someone else said, you don't even know if they were the same before burn-in.

Those two factors are really important if you want your review/test to have even a little merit...Because if you know which headphone you are using, your preconceived notions will affect you anyway. (I'm not insinuating that you believe/disbelieve in burn-in or that you would lie.)

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone else said, you don't even know if they were the same before burn-in.

I did listen to both, but the used pair had about 6 hours of use, so they could potentially have sounded different at the zero hour mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because if you know which headphone you are using, your preconceived notions will affect you anyway.

Yes, that's true. What I wanted to do is connect both headphones to a splitter, put a piece of tape on the headband, mark one as heads and the other tails and have an "assistant" who will flip a coin to determine which pair he will put on my head. I guess I have to make sure both headphones are the same temperate, or else I can feel which is warmer or colder, therefore would I know if I have one or the other on. Boy this is harder than I thought at first.
biggrin.gif
I'm still willing to do it because I'm a curious person.
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 10
Not sure what the argument is, heapdhones do change overtime with use, simply drivers are mechanical devices and diaphrams are very stiff while new...so chances are that those two changes with use...BTW IME I have experienced first hand that with the CD3K, HD650, Editions, PROLines, and even right now with a new Portapro I got from J&R, and you know I'm very skeptical in other cases...but that is physics on top of my personla experience...

We all know that in many cases the so claimed burn in, is mainly psycological and is the brain who burns in, and get used ot the new presentation, but in my case I excluded that as I have experienced that with hepadhones that I really familiar with for years, placebo could be in one case but in all three or four cases is very unlikely also...BTW all my amps have two jacks so it is very easy for me...

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo3014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
waiting for the answer...

Which answer, about the burn in?
Well here is your answer, a little bit of search will not harm and will give them ot you, they are on th sticky section of the forum...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back