burn-in question
Oct 5, 2006 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bonethugz

500+ Head-Fier
is there a way to make your headphone with more refine mids or highs or bass? i read about the burn-in sticky and there are a few methods there. will they have all the same result? i always use radio for burn-in. does that make my cans bassy? or something else? anyone have any experiense or compare with the different methods before?

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Since nobody seems interested in responding....

The number one way to achieve the most refined sound is, of course, to get a top-notch headphone. This seems obvious, but you know what they say about the sow's ear...

The number two way is to invest in a headphone amp. The really good ones start at about $400 or so, but you can achieve satisfactory results for about half. Synergy between headphone and amp is quite important.

Burn-in (which I call break-in) can make for surprising changes, but the basic sound is likely to remain the same. The reason why there's so much controversy in this area is that the pre- to post-break-in differences can be subtle.

Visit my break-in blog below for more details.

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 8
I fully believe in burn-in, but my method is to just listen right from the get-go, so I doubt that's of much help.

Far as using different burn-in methods to tailor the transformation itself... that's a very good question and one I've never even considered. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 8
excellent bolg/burn-in info! I have 701's arriving tomorrow and I feel that I am a lot better prepared for them after reading the 701 owners guide and the burn/break-in stuff. thanks!

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Far as using different burn-in methods to tailor the transformation itself... that's a very good question and one I've never even considered. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

yea that's what i meant. i sometimes read one guy says some cans bassy(for example) or something and the other guy says not quite the same. is that why we hear some cans differently? anyone?

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
yea that's what i meant. i sometimes read one guy says some cans bassy(for example) or something and the other guy says not quite the same. is that why we hear some cans differently? anyone?

I've always attributed this to the different music styles we listen to. Some of it is recorded with higher bass levels than other, more treble, etc.

Maybe it's a good idea to buy 2 identical cheap cans and burn them in differently. See if there's any difference between the two.

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 8
I am a Burn In Believer. Burning in will not magically transform a $50 cans to $200 sounding cans. You will still have that $50 cans, but it is more refined now that it has been broken in. Now that the cans has been broken in and still joy from them, time to sacrifice the wallet and move ahead.

And yes, I agreed that Synergy between Cans and Amp will do MAJOR changes for the best or for the worst - again the keyword is Synergy

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 8
The main improvement I noticed after about a month of listening; was a reduction in the "fluffiness" in the bass on a number of my favorite "test" CDs.

A couple of these tracks were neigh unlistenable in the early hours of both my MS-1s and MS2i, but have continued to improve over time.

Amplification helped quite a bit when an amp was installed, but time was still required to further refine the bass. I wish I would have ran with an amp right from the start to get a better over-all test. I may not have witnessed such a major change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back