Burn in quesiton
Jan 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stanfoo

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my RS180 headphones and have read that they will sound better after some burn in time.

Never heard of this term before but does this mean if I let the TV run (regular programming, headphones hooked to TV) for a few hours will it do the trick?

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 5
I think that usually "Burn In" is more in the mind of the user than it is in the equipment.

If I were you I would just use the RS180 headphones as normal. If they improve in some way over time then they will do so with normal use.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 5
  I just received my RS180 headphones and have read that they will sound better after some burn in time.

Never heard of this term before but does this mean if I let the TV run (regular programming, headphones hooked to TV) for a few hours will it do the trick?

You can plug them in and run any sort of sound through them.  A lot of people use pink noise or run multiple sweeps of 30 sec pink, 30 white, 30 brown, etc...  Others will just run music through them to burn them in (that's what I personally do).  There is no real "right" way to burn in a pair of headphones, as long as they are running at a proper volume level.  

Also, a few hours don't do it normally.  It tends to be around 25-50 hours.  Some say that there are headphones that can require hundreds of hours to burn in properly.  

As you use a pair of headphones, the pressure from the headphones onto your head will also change the pads quite a bit, this can also change sound.  

I think that usually "Burn In" is more in the mind of the user than it is in the equipment.

If I were you I would just use the RS180 headphones as normal. If they improve in some way over time then they will do so with normal use.

I think it deals with multiple sources.  I won't deny that the psyche could be part of it, but then again, the drivers are changing (been shown in subwoofers already) as well as the pads and cables...  Add them all up, and you can get quite a change.  

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 5
I typically play songs that hit most if not all frequencies within the appropriate band, just to "exercise" the drivers' ability to produce them all.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 5
I typically play songs that hit most if not all frequencies within the appropriate band, just to "exercise" the drivers' ability to produce them all.

That's how a lot of people do it.  I just put my iPod on shuffle and let it go for hours without end XD  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back