Burn in headphones and IEMs
Jun 29, 2014 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Uniquexme

100+ Head-Fier
How do u guys normally burn in headphones and IEMs? All these while I thought just play any music over 100hours. But google and it says need what pink, yellow, brown noise? What are they actually? So let's say I only play the music that I like for about 60hours it still hasn't burn in properly? Any website that I can download those tracks for burn in? Thx.

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 8
I am a simpleton as far as burn-in is concerned - I simply put on an album I like and enjoy it.

I am not entirely convinced that burn-in is something taking place anywhere outside my head - and anyway, as the cans sound stellar from the moment I put them on first time, I might as well enjoy them from the start, rather than leaving them to burn in for a few days after buying them... :)

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 8
Some headphones benefits from it while some do not. Some needs more than 100hrs, some need less than that or does not really need one. BA drivers benefits not at all.

I personally uses my own album for burn in because IMO, we uses the headphones for music / gaming/ movies not for pink noise xD

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 8
How do u guys normally burn in headphones and IEMs? All these while I thought just play any music over 100hours. But google and it says need what pink, yellow, brown noise? What are they actually? So let's say I only play the music that I like for about 60hours it still hasn't burn in properly? Any website that I can download those tracks for burn in? Thx.

https://archive.org/details/TenMinutesOfWhiteNoisePinkNoiseAndBrownianNoise

Pink noise is random noise, white noise has a lot of high frequency noise, and brown noise has a lot of low frequency noise. Another option is just playing normal music, which would be less of a workout than noise. Pink noise is safer for the headphones because the power distribution is more even, and is what most people use for noise burn-in. Generally speaking, most headphones should be able to safely play at louder volumes than is necessary to make a person deaf, but I recall people saying they killed headphones with burn-in at too high volume, so be careful with the volume during burn-in, keep in mind that it's easy to raise the volume very high when you aren't wearing the headphones, and that the doubling of perceived volume is actually about a 10x increase in sound wave intensity..

Personally I just do normal music at moderate to above moderate volume, never high volume, for maybe 10 or so nights for ~100 hours of burn-in. For pretty much all of my headphones I prefer to avoid burn in for the first 50-100 hours unless I'm actually wearing the headphones, just for the lulz of trying to see if I can detect changes to the sound from burn-in. If headphone driver burn-in exists, I have the feeling it probably mostly occurs within the first 50 hours of use, and faster if the volume is higher and if noise instead of music is used.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 8
this is how most headphones burn in.
step 1 take headphone out of box.
step 2 plug headphone on ur playing device.
step 3 make a playlist of ur favorite songs.
step 4 play them at a comfortable listening volume.
step 5 relax and enjoy your music
step 6 doze off.
step 7 come back to your senses and burn in is done.

from what i heard cans like the k/q70x, some ultrasones can take as long as 50-300hours.
for burn in type of audio file. most music will do just fine i think.
when i look at the spectrum bars for most modern pop music they resemble pink noise anyways.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I figure if you have something else to listen with in the meantime (I did, but no everyone does) hook up the new cans and just let it play what you've got in your library at a volume you'd listen at. At least that's what I did, seems logical enough to me ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back