Burn-in for IEMs?
Mar 8, 2006 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jeffreybar

100+ Head-Fier
I know that it's been said before that there is no performance improvement with IEMs due to burn-in, but I just wanted to check and see if that's still the accepted wisdom. I've had my new Shure E4s for about a month, and I have to say that I was very lukewarm to them the first two weeks or so I had them -- preferring even my old E3s. But I find myself really liking their sound now, and it really does seem like a very different sound than I was getting out of them initially. Is this really just psychological or acoustic adjustment on the part of my ears and brain?

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar
Is this really just psychological or acoustic adjustment on the part of my ears and brain?

I'm pretty sure it is. The best way to test your theory is to get your hands on a new pair of e4's and see if they sound different than yours.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrenduro
I'm pretty sure it is. The best way to test your theory is to get your hands on a new pair of e4's and see if they sound different than yours.

Good call...all I need to do is locate another pair.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 7
From my experience and my ears my Shure E5c's do sound better after burn-in.

Click on my picture link below, as I posted about it before.

As long as it works for you and you like what you hear, that's all that matters.

In my opinion, it would be false to say that it doesn't exist or it's all psychological. I had suspected that it existed from experience, but when I discovered Head-Fi, I learned it wasn't just me.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 7
I've observed the opposite, strangely. Out of the package, my E4C sounded quite satisfactory, with good bass and nice detail. Now, after consierable "burn-in," the trebles on many tracks are getting slightly harsh. I use my IEM with custom earpieces, so there can't be any change in the way I insert them.

The only other explanation is that I may have begun listening more critically, so the flaws of the product on certain tracks have become more evident.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I've observed the opposite, strangely. Out of the package, my E4C sounded quite satisfactory, with good bass and nice detail. Now, after consierable "burn-in," the trebles on many tracks are getting slightly harsh. I use my IEM with custom earpieces, so there can't be any change in the way I insert them.

The only other explanation is that I may have begun listening more critically, so the flaws of the product on certain tracks have become more evident.

Nobody ever said burn-in necessarily makes headphones sound better, just different.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Nobody ever said burn-in necessarily makes headphones sound better, just different.

I agree.

Also, to many HeadFi posters, and many vendors (Xin, HeadRoom), burn-in doesn't just apply to headphones, but to amps, opamps, DAC's. From my experience I'd have to agree.

Most of the time burn-in makes things less harsh to my ears and more textural and less grating.

Some say burn in affects interconnect cables also.

From what I learned, I won't judge a HeadFi component, until I've thoroughly burned it in. Whether or not it sounds good or bad or if there is a perceivable depends on each listener's ears and tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back