Burn-in for canal phones?
post-1450219
Post #1 of 3

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I've read the FAQ, but one question remains: do canalphones respond to burn-in?

I recently got a pair of Westone UM2s, and have begun to burn them in. Now, I can understand how the diaphragms of higher end headphones might gain flexibility and change their sound. But canal phones are so tiny that any movement is bound to be very small, at least relatively.

I also know that different placenments of canalphones in the ear makeI for very different sounds, and that using these phones is a learning process. In short, it's hard to tell the difference between one's increasing competency using canal phones and any changes in sound that there mighe be.

What kind of expeiences have you had with changes of sound in canal phones?

post-1450264
Post #2 of 3

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Burn-in is very real. Whether the phenomenon is a physical action of the phones (not really likely with canalphones) or all just a mental adjustment, it is still real. The point is to give the phones time to reach their potential.

post-1450266
Post #3 of 3

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I own a pair of Ety ER6i's (see sig.) and I've found that they exhibit no burn in characteristics whatsoever. I've heard from other canalphone owners that there are others that do in fact improve after the 100 hour mark or so, but not the ER6i's. They are like that when you get them, meaning they are gonna keep kicking butt if you enjoy them from the get-go, but on the flipside they aren't going to get any better. I believe many Westones, Shures, UE's, Sensaphonics, and Ety ER4's do respond positively to burn in, but I'm no canalphone guru. Hopefully one of them will pop in and give you the lowdown on this cunundrum.
Abe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)