Bump sound when running/walking !?
May 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ylluvattar

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have an Ipod 3g and two pairs of earbuds : Shure 210 and Senh Cx95. 

As the title says, when walking I ear a clear bump bump every step with both sets.

After reading around this forum I got the idea that it might be a cable problem but, although  it atenuates somehow the issue if I hold the cable while walking, it makes them unwearable for running.

Any advice on a pair that doesn't have this problem? Or perhaps it's my ear canal ! I tried all the ear plugs that came with the Shure and the problems persists. 

I mainly ear jazz and indy.

Thx,

PS- By the way I really miss the SQ of my old creative muvo2 player. 

May 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 8
With the SE210, two easy ways to get rid of the microphonics, first, if you stick your dap in a shirt pocket, minus the cable extension, and wear them over ear (which is always better in case you don't wear them that way already.  slide the chinstrap near your neck (no need to shoke yourself) the other option is to run the wire ander your shirt, using the over ear chinstrap method. If you need to use a clip where the connectors meet, that may help as well. As far as other iem's not having microphonics. It pretty much has to be an over the ear type of iem (IMO) and The sennheiser IE7 has a nice soft cable, and once fitted over the ear, chinstrapped, and clipped near the split, it's very good. Any iem takes a little work to get rid of all microphonics. IMO, using a tshirt with a pocket, and the short part only of the shures cable, is an easy fix.

May 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think the OP is talking about microphonics here but bone conduction (if that's the proper term for it). I am talking about the sound you hear when you walk. There are two solutions for it. Either you buy something else like a headphone, clip on, earbud, or the type that does not have that or you get used to it like the majority of people here probably have. Every single earphone I have used has had some degree of bone conduction. Even my CK10 which by far is the best cable and I get the least noise of it compared to anything I have has it but you get used to it after a while.

May 16, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I don't think the OP is talking about microphonics here but bone conduction (if that's the proper term for it). I am talking about the sound you hear when you walk. There are two solutions for it. Either you buy something else like a headphone, clip on, earbud, or the type that does not have that or you get used to it like the majority of people here probably have. Every single earphone I have used has had some degree of bone conduction. Even my CK10 which by far is the best cable and I get the least noise of it compared to anything I have has it but you get used to it after a while.

Good observation..........and I must agree, I don't notice it any longer. But wouldn't the breast pocket idea help even with that? I honestly don't notice it anymore, so not sure. I do, however, know enough people that just can't use iem's while walking.  So you're probably right.

May 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 8
I really don't know if that would help. I typically put it in my pants pocket and if I turn my music off I can hear it with the CK10 although not as bad as some others I've had in the past but I think that has to do with how isolating it is. I have the least amount of it with my PL30. If I get it with my CK10 then I would assume all isolating earphones have them. I don't know about those that are open such as a FX700, IE8, etc.

May 16, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 8
This is the sickness of IEMs, a good seal means you will get that "bump" sound. 

There are a few IEMs I've tried where you can get away with a "not so good seal" and still get phenomenal sound quality.

One is the IE8, where you don't need a seal for it to sound great, and doing this helps the soundstage anyway. 

The other is the VModa Vibe. 

Both offer a nice fun sound and phenomenal bass without a seal. Consequently, you can wear both and not get cable microphonics bumping and still enjoy your music.

I heard the JVC FX500 can also be worn this way, but I have no comment on that as I haven't heard it. Also from what I read, the FX700 is open, so it shouldn't have this issue either.
Quote:
Hi,

I have an Ipod 3g and two pairs of earbuds : Shure 210 and Senh Cx95. 

As the title says, when walking I ear a clear bump bump every step with both sets.

After reading around this forum I got the idea that it might be a cable problem but, although  it atenuates somehow the issue if I hold the cable while walking, it makes them unwearable for running.

Any advice on a pair that doesn't have this problem? Or perhaps it's my ear canal ! I tried all the ear plugs that came with the Shure and the problems persists. 

I mainly ear jazz and indy.

Thx,

PS- By the way I really miss the SQ of my old creative muvo2 player. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back