Bulletproof?
Oct 20, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

muckluck

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I need durable over the head headphones that aren't expensive. That's pretty much it. I prefer everything to be tight. My favorite setup that I've ever heard was my SA3000 hooked up to my Little Dot.

My problem is I have no idea where to start. Headphones always seem to break where the adjusting mechanism meets the headband, or where the ear cup gets held in. I have no idea what I do to them, but always end up breaking them. I need something like the Audio Technica ES5 (too uncomfortable) or A(D)-xxx (don't like the bass/mids) series headphones with their very simple means of adjustment. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 22
I don't have any suggestions, but I feel your pain.
I got some inexpensive JVCs that look very well built at first, but then you look at the earcup pivot and it's a definite weakspot. I also got some Denons that were flimsy on sight, but I have some ideas for toughening them both up. Otherwise they sound really good and are lightweight and very comfortable.
Too bad that these great-sounding phones aren't built to last, but even worse are ones costing a lot more and built equally sub-par.
I got an old pair of Realistic Nova20's. Those will not break easily.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any suggestions, but I feel your pain.
I got some inexpensive JVCs that look very well built at first, but then you look at the earcup pivot and it's a definite weakspot. I also got some Denons that were flimsy on sight, but I have some ideas for toughening them both up. Otherwise they sound really good and are lightweight and very comfortable.
Too bad that these great-sounding phones aren't built to last, but even worse are ones costing a lot more and built equally sub-par.
I got an old pair of Realistic Nova20's. Those will not break easily.

Ha! Those ES5s were rubberized metal and dense plastic and 70$ the SR225s and SA3000s were typical cheap plastic and $200+. Makes no sense to me!

How well are Ultrasones HFI-(5/7)80s built? They look tough, and from what I read they have punchy tight bass which is what I'm looking for.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 22
The only phones I can say that impressed me as sturdy were some JBL Reference 410s which look similar to the ES5's. I got those DOA on ebay with the intent of using the earpads. I though about trying a new set as they're only $20 shipped on Ebay.

[size=xx-small]it's a sickness...[/size]

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only phones I can say that impressed me as sturdy were some JBL Reference 410s which look similar to the ES5's. I got those DOA on ebay with the intent of using the earpads. I though about trying a new set as they're only $20 shipped on Ebay.

[size=xx-small]it's a sickness...[/size]

I used to work at a store that carried those. They are far from durable, the right piece fell off, had swivel type joints. Also the glue that was holding the thin plastic piece on the outside of the speaker didn't hold and it came loose.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to work at a store that carried those. They are far from durable, the right piece fell off, had swivel type joints. Also the glue that was holding the thin plastic piece on the outside of the speaker didn't hold and it came loose.

I appreciate the heads up! How was the SQ?

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the beyerdynamic line, the DT-880 I had seemed pretty durable, no flimsy joints. Also the HD-25's I have wont be breaking anytime this century, but more of a portable/dj can.

Don't really want anything that'll require an amp. The DT860s have always intrigued me, but people tell me they are fatiguing due to the shrill highs. This is more of a go with me everywhere kind of phone so that's why they need to be durable. I'm gonna go check out those HD-25s.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 22
I use a HFI680 as my portable set of cans. despite the fact that they're made of plastic and didn't look particularly durable (I had been using an AKG K181DJ before; anything sturdier than those phones are military grade material
smily_headphones1.gif
), they turned out to be very durable. I carry them around in my bag and never had any problems. the 580 and the 780 use the same chassis.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 22
Just about any Beyer is bulletproof, as are the only Senn. I'd own - the HD25 family.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 22
The QP805HS from MB Quart is designed to be nigh invoulnerable. There's even a video on youtube or something of head-fi member and MB Quart rep Will Prescutti standing on a pair.

It's a real shame that they're almost impossible to find outside of europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back