Building rig from scratch, uncertain and confused.
Jun 29, 2004 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dddmt

New Head-Fier
Hi. I've previously posted here asking similar questions, and I thank everybody for their help. But now there is some foginess I need cleared up. I'm investing in a portable rig, from scratch:

I'm planning on buying buying a PDCP (not sure which one yet, probally the iRiver 550), some Grado80's, and a Xin SuperDual.

I want the most In-Yer-Face DnB experience I can get for my money, because I am not going to be able to go to shows regulary for a couple of years because im going to school soon.

My question is, would it make sense to pay the extra 85 dollars for the Grado225's and just get a gold plated patch cable for it (1/4th to mini)?

I'm currently working temp jobs at minimum wage (7.16/h). I -will- break my back to keep close to DnB for the next couple of years, but to what end? Im talking bang-for-yer-buck.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 7
When you say portable, what will you be using it for? Commuting, running, studying in a library, studying in a normal dorm, etc. Personally for my portable rig (gym, walking 20 mins to work) I use a pair of cheap sony earbuds and an mp3 player. I wouldn't even consider lugging an amp around, that basically gets rid of all portability as far as i'm concerned.

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 7
*sigh* Mabey I should have put this in the portables section.

I'm strictly asking about the headphones. The setup is just a little info on what im trying to accomplish, as to supplement the question (line 4). I can understand somebody telling me how an ajustment to the setup slightly might make more sense, but completely knocking portable rigs all together is off topic.

Another question: about the durability, are the 225's going to be less likely to break on me than the sr80's? Because the difference in price between the 80's and the 225's would pay for a new pair of 80's if i got the 225's and they broke. I plan to baby them, but worst case scenario: they deteriorate on their own?

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 7
if i were putting together a system for dnb i think id go for a headphone with more bass, less treble than the 225s or the sr80s.. im going to buy a set for listening mostly to breaks/hiphop and a bit of darker stuff, think source direct etc. and im looking at ultrasone hifi700s. So much dnb is recorded with tear your head off snares that it becomes painful on a bright pair of headphones... so much of the feeling is in the bass line anyway, at least with older school stuff. *not a fan of latino influences*

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Espically techstep. The Xin superdual has a nice bass-boost on it, I wont need to crank up the volume as much. I know what you mean tho, I lost a bit of my hearing from the Planet of the Drums tour. ******* dieselboy.

I only have a few techstep cds, but its not really my style. I listen to them sometimes for a change of pace, and theyre supported to be rough. I accidentily fell asleep one night with dieselboy's dungeonmasters guide playing, and I had dreams of maggots eating me all night long.
..If the grados mean that the trebble is going to be making my ears ring when listening to techstep, I can live with that, I'll probally just listen to it quieter, with the SuperDual's bassboost on.

Besides, the cd player I'm getting has an EQ.

But I would be interested in a comparison between the ultrasone hfi-700's and a grado at the same price. I couldnt find any reviews on it.

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 7
The AKG 240s is very bassy and might work out well for you, they're a bit big for portable but they'll work...

Probably the best in this class though would be the Beyer DT770's. They're closed so you get some isolation too.

If you have a local Guitar Center you can get the 240s for $75 and most likely you can get the DT770's down in the range of $150-170. You'll have to negotiate the price though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back