Building an Ety 4P -> 4S adaptor into a META42
Sep 20, 2002 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bdb55

100+ Head-Fier
In talking to JMT about a META42, I asked if he could put an adaptor to turn my Ety 4Ps into 4Ss into a META42 (I only need the adaptor when plugged into the amp, and it would save me from buying the physical adaptor cable). Presumably, the adaptor is just a 73ohm resistor. JMT said that it was possible, but that there would be no way for him to test it, seeing as he has the 4Ss. I was wondering if anyone here had undertaken this before and if their attempts had been successful. Thanks for your advice!

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 8
I think it is a good idea. The output resistor of META42 can be 50-100, so a 73 (I use 80.6) shuold be no problem to other phones. Just make sure the resistor is out of the feedback loop. Putting the resistor to the headphone jack side is indeed better than putting it to the headphone side. So, a 80.6 resistor at the output of META42 should make a ER4P sound even better than a ER4S who's resistors are in the middle of its cord.

The question really is: what's the impact of this 80.6 or 73 resistor to a ER4S?

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply. JMT could test my META42 with his 4Ss before he sends it on its way to see if the resistors offer sonic improvement for the 4S as well as the 4P. I was very interested that having the resistor placed in the amp would improve sound quality versus having it in an adaptor cord. Now my reasons for the in-amp adaptor are threefold: convenience, economy, and sound quality!

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Sep 20, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 8
While that's a great idea, I'm wondering what you'll do when you decide to listen to your 4ps with a different amp. Don't you ever use them at home?

What I might consider, if fixup implements this request, would be to have his (relatively inexpensive) amp dedicated to the 4P for ultra-portable situations (such as roving MD use). In all other cases, I'd use my Tangent META42 or EAR+ with the 4s adaptor.

One caveat would be sound. I'd like to see more people compare the MiniMETA to the META42. It would be hard to best a Tangent Meta42 in a Serpac for sound, battery life, durability and portability.

Sep 20, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 8
HappymaN: so what do you think? Did the resisters make a difference?

scrypt: no I don't have an amp that I use at home. This would be a pretty high quality META42 in a 5" x 5" x 1" case. It would be portable enough to take it with me and would sound good enough to use at home too.

Sep 20, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bdb55
scrypt: no I don't have an amp that I use at home. This would be a pretty high quality META42 in a 5" x 5" x 1" case. It would be portable enough to take it with me and would sound good enough to use at home too.

Sounds good, if you're planning to use only the 4P. Personally, I'm an addict and need greater flexibility.

Something to consider might be an additional jack for a wall wart. That way, you don't wear out the battery at work and at home. Mine has said jack and I'm really happy with it, though I'm not certain every DIY builder offers the option, since it's dodgy to implement with smaller cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back