Building a new house... help me with some ideas.
Mar 21, 2007 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
After two years of indecision, I have finally decided to tear down my house and build a new one. My existing house has a foundation issue that is more easily solved by bulldozing. Right now, I only know that I want the house to be between 4,000- 4,300 sq. ft. and that my budget is $1 million for construction. My wife and I have one child, a 4 yr. old son, and don't plan on having more kids.

Anyway, I have been flipping through magazines and floorplans to get ideas, but welcome any ideas, photos, etc. that may help me. I'm in California, so styling should not be classic New England. Nothing too modern b/c it would be out of place on my cul de sac. Nothing too extravagant b/c my budget is $1 million. I live on one acre and have a wonderful view of the hills of Los Altos Hills from my backyard.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 44
I would first ask you what priorities you have with respect to your target home. What should the main features of the house be?

- Energy efficiency?
- Safety against nature's wrath (or in other words, indestructibility)
- Safety against theft
- Large inner spaces (e.g. high ceilings, large areas) for social gatherings, entertainment center, things like that
- Visibility (e.g. lots of light from outside)
- Some special feature (e.g. a cave house like the Hobbits' houses)

My sister is an architect, will ask her what first factors are taken into account when designing a house. I guess the main priorities of the owners have to be taken into account from the get go.

I would personally start thinking about spaces before thinking about materials and finish.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 44
think about the major features you want first.

- swimming pools/spas
- size of front/backyards
- think of your primary color themes
- how many rooms do you want?
- most importantly... what does your WIFE want?

=D just for starters

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 44
How about taking a drive around the neighborhood over the weekend and looking at all the homes? Write down the things you like and don't like. Ranch? Two story? Classic? Flamboyant? Once you have a list, I bet you can come up with a mix of all the things you like that, once combined, you will love. Probably my only suggestion would be to consider all your energy options carefully. Starting fresh is the best time to make such choices. One I plan on next time is an instant water heater. And, come to think of it, those new solar panels built into standard shingles would be a wonderful way to cut costs on 4K SQ FT. Best of luck!

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 44
Some things you might have otherwise forgotten.

Devote a lot of thought to hookups. Seriously. Make sure that all the water, hot water, gas, electricity, cable, phone, intercom, w/e else you want is well thought out. Some things to think about: water hook-up behind the fridge for a water-dispensing fridge; if your planned kitchen has an island, make sure the island has power, and if needed, gas and ventilation; in-ceiling speakers for a home-theater plus associated wires; lawn irrigation system; all of these things are very expensive to install after construction. Remember: you will never regret having too much in-wall wiring and piping, only too little. You can never have too many pot lights and track lights. When placing outlets, keep in mind where the furniture will be placed, you don't want a sofa blocking a power outlet.

Of course, your first step is to learn all you can about basic house design. Keep in mind spaces, traffic flow, and noise!

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I really have no idea of what kind of a house that 1 mil can buy in California, AND be at least 4000sf.

Remind me where in CA you live.

That is the cost of bulldozing my house and building a new house. The total value of the land and house is over $3 million. I live in Los Altos, technically Los Altos Hills.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 44
This probably sounds silly, but think about what kind of a house you want to live in. It's important that the house you build fits your personality. Back home I lived in a pretty affluent suburb and two of my friend's families did what you are doing now. One family went to as many open houses as they could find on the weekend, visited the parade of homes which showcases some really brilliant and ingenious houses.

The house they built was very different than what they imagined it would be when they started, they thought carefully about what they needed in the house and what they didn't need. When it came down to building the house they ended up building a 3200 square foot home instead of a 4200 square foot home, but the house never feels cramped or crowded and it fits the family perfectly. They took a longer time to choose their design and when it came out they loved their new home it incorporated everything they liked from the houses they visited.
The other family hired a big name designer who made a a large cookie cutter house that contained all of the latest trends in homemaking. The family now admits that they would do it differently.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 44
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I think I wasn't being clear. I am working with an architect, contractor, designer and engineer so most of the considerations mentioned have been or will be discussed. I'm just trying to get people to post pictures of interesting layouts or rooms they have seen so I can get some more ideas.

One definite criteria... high ceilings for my speaker setups.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless there are builders and architects posting here, asking us is like having your fraternity brothers pick your wife.

There are all sorts here. I'm just asking for pictures of houses and rooms that people have seen and liked so I can get more ideas. No special skills required.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I think I wasn't being clear. I am working with an architect, contractor, designer and engineer so most of the considerations mentioned have been or will be discussed. I'm just trying to get people to post pictures of interesting layouts or rooms they have seen so I can get some more ideas.

One definite criteria... high ceilings for my speaker setups.

Do they have anything like the parade of homes in California, in Minnesota you can see some really fantastic and original homes. They brought a camera and took pictures of what they really liked and showed them to the contractor's architect etc and collectively the groups mashed it all together into a marvelous home

One more thing, no spiral staircases, after a while they are a pain in the rear

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 44
unique bathrooms are fun.

1008e.jpg

bathroom.jpg

it's the only room in your house that you're going to actually have a chance to admire all of the nice things you have, let it be in the bath or the facilities. if i had a cool million to spend on a house, i would most likely leave most of the stuff to the wife and make the bathroom MY sanctuary! and hell, maybe even throw something nifty, like that urinal you've always wanted.

219143720_36c11b5404_o.jpg

looks like fun.

edit: check it out, these urinals look like speakers!

phillipwatts-spoon-urinal.jpg

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: check it out, these urinals look like speakers!

phillipwatts-spoon-urinal.jpg

Gee, to me they look like spoons or telephones made by Dali
biggrin.gif

Back on topic, once on TV I saw a special on outstanding houses, one was made of some sort of resin poured onto a metallic frame, it was very sturdy and efficient, with few if any flat walls. Very organic. But very expensive IIRC. Not sure if it was HGTV or Nat Geo.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 44
How about a secret compartment where you can walk around inside your walls. Then put a giant picture of the Mona Lisa in your living room.

The Mona Lisa should have 2 holes where the eyes go that you can use to spy on your guest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back