Buffer - i.e. A very good way to buffer the output from a line preamp to drive headphones.
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ginetto61

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi !

i have now what i deem a decent source.
Instead of using a standalone headphone amp i would like to use the signal out from my line preamp that i like a lot.
So i am looking for a buffer solution, or off-the-shelf or DIY (easy).
And it should be solid state.
The buffer should be both very clean and also able to drive properly any HP up to 300 ohm.
I am not settled on my definitive HP so the impedance range could be very wide.
Thanks in advance for any kind suggestion.
Kind regards,  gino

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 5
  http://www.amb.org/audio/alpha20/

Hi and thanks a lot for the very interesting advice.  Impressive measurements indeed.
Do you think that this idea of the buffer to use with a line preamp of choice is ok or i am just messing up things  ?
I have already a preamp that i like but it does not have an HP socket.  I use mainly low to mid impedance headphones (i.e. from 32 to 250 ohm).
To be precise i am waiting to receive a 62 ohm AKG k701 that it is very likely to become my reference headphones from what i have learnt also here in the forum.
So that will be the load.
Have you personally tested this amp already maybe ?
Thanks again,   gino

May 1, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you personally tested this amp already maybe ?

Yes. First as a discreet buffer solution for the SOHA amplifier then as a stand alone "buffer", then as a stand alone "buffer" with volume control and finally as a headphone amplifier (with voltage gain).
It's not bad for such a simple circuit and it's rather easy to change the gain if needed.

May 1, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. First as a discreet buffer solution for the SOHA amplifier then as a stand alone "buffer",
then as a stand alone "buffer" with volume control and finally as a headphone amplifier (with voltage gain).

Hi and thanks a lot again
i was referring at the link you kindly provided.  Which kit did you build precisely ?
and more in general are you "really" satisfied with the outcome ?
My rationale behind the "buffer without gain" idea is that i have already at least 3 line preamps that i like and that i could use to provide all the needed voltage gain.
In general i think that this could be a very smart idea for all the manufacturers, i.e. to provided a buffered output to drive a quality headphone

It's not bad for such a simple circuit and it's rather easy to change the gain if needed.

To be completely honest i am still evaluating a monolithic solution ... based on a high quality IC buffer ... that by the way i have not identified yet
I am quite bad at soldering but these kits you mention seem quite easy to build.
Do you really think that a discrete solution would be a clear step-up from a IC solution ?
However i am very sold on this buffer.
Just one good tube in front of it could give a spectacular sound ... for very little cash.
I will build something for sure.
Very very interesting.   I wonder how it is not more popular ... really.
Thanks again for all the valuable advice.
Kind regards,  gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back