Budget USB DACs
Apr 4, 2008 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

classicalguy

500+ Head-Fier
I really want to buy a USB Dac for less than $100 us. Headphonia has a dac cable, but they will not respond to my emails requesting information. Supposedly, they were going to have an updated version on-line by now. Behringer has a cheap board (202), but some people say the analog out is poor. The 0404 usb seems not to be on sale any longer. I just don't know what to do. Any advice?

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 37
I still haven't received a reply from Headphonia about my USB DAC Cable which worries me. Putting that aside, Hotaudio40 just released a USB DAC with RCA outputs. He's been receiving some good reviews from headfiers.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 37
M-Audio has some gear...I use the MobilePre. Probably these don't have quite as good a DAC as the Emu, but I like it for all the ins-and-outs + it isn't Creative.

Can be had under $100 on ebay (mine was $75).

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 37
They are good but spotty when it comes to communications. You'll have no word from them for a few days, then you get all the emails you want, then maybe nothing for a day or two, and so on.

They are good and honest and reliable in the long run, however. I ordered the Lyrix Pro, didn't like it, it is a good amp, does the job, but, for my ears, too neutral for my tastes. I sent it back and they promptly refunded my money no questions asked.

May 1, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 37
Do any of those DACs - say in the < 500$ region - implement some type of (proprietary ?) transfer protocol over USB to guarantee bit perfect and minimize jitter ?
Like the EMU 0404 USB does...

May 5, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea if this would be acceptable for you application and is a little over one hundred dollars.

SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB

That is actually pretty decent, on par with the iBasso D1 DAC, but for a lot less money. I have one to use with my Apple TV. I bought mine from Super Pro DAC707

Here is another USB DAC that someone on Head-Fi recommended, but I've never heard it. USB DAC HIGH-PERFORMANCE STEREO PREAMPLIFIER / PREAMP - eBay (item 280222129516 end time May-04-08 20:30:18 PDT)

May 6, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of those DACs - say in the < 500$ region - implement some type of (proprietary ?) transfer protocol over USB to guarantee bit perfect and minimize jitter ?

Do they ? Do they ?
tongue.gif

May 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No such thing as proprietary here. USB-I2S is the best you'd get, but most would convert to S/PDIF.

There wouldn't be any specific jitter-handling just cause it was USB; clock from the PC and onboard PLL would be the most common implementations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back