Budget USB DACs
Oct 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphexii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there many options out there for $50 and under DAC's? I don't need anything spectacular, just something better than my headphone out on my Macbook.

Yes, the Behringer UCA202. It has Analog out (RCA), optical out, and headphone out.

It's great for something to throw into your laptop bag or take to work. If I remember it sounds decent from the headphone out. Definitely worth the $30.

It's also entirely usb powered.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 37
I haven't tried it myself, but I'd imagine that this might compete as one of the best DACs at that price point.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the Behringer UCA202. It has Analog out (RCA), optical out, and headphone out.

It's great for something to throw into your laptop bag or take to work. If I remember it sounds decent from the headphone out. Definitely worth the $30.

It's also entirely usb powered.

The U-Control (UCA202) headphone out is decent but not quite as airy and spacious as a 5.5G iPod headphone out or Macbook headphone out. I sold mine to Baines93 after I tested it out. Even the Creative X-fi Xmod USB sounds a little better (but has more hiss with custom IEM).

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #36 of 37
Musical Fidelity V-DAC.
Welcome to Musical Fidelity
170 € (little over 200$). Specs unquestionable. 24 bit 192 KHz upsampling. 170 ps total jitter, signal-to-noise 116 dB. Weight 350g, nice solid built black metal case, Coax, Optical and USB inputs. As for results, all I can say is it takes my ripped flac files in the laptop and makes them sound not a bit worse than good old Denon DCD 1420 with same heaphone amp and cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back