Budget USB converter to Lavry DA10 DAC ?
May 1, 2015 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chrisbbb

Head-Fier
I want to use an ASUS laptop with my Lavry DA10 DAC (which drives balanced Senn HD650s). What is a bang-for-buck budget USB to optical or S/PDIF converter that would suit? The DAC inputs are optical TOSLINK, and S/PDIF or AES via XLR or RCA.

Currently with the laptop I use a Larocco PRII amp for the HD650s, so it suffers the ASUS sound chip limitations. I want to step up from that by using USB out to the Lavry. However my main rig is a desktop with optical out to the Lavry, this laptop setup is a sideline, and I'm more into low budget than absolute best SQ here.

Thanks
Chris

May 5, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 9
What's your definition of cheap? Fiio makes very good price/performance products and E3 is about $30.

May 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Beringer uca202, check out nwavguy's jitter measurements, great performance for peanuts. I use it to feed a toslink dac, and it plays nice with every pc I plugged it into.

May 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Gustard U12, pretty damn good for the price.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

- Native 32 bit 384Khz 8 X-core XMOS chip. Multi-thread. USB class 2.0 Async.

- Seperate 0.1ppm TCXO clocks, Temperature Controlled High Precision Active Crystal. One for each clocking ratio.

- Independent Linear Power Supply. Sealing Torodial Transformer, Multiple Sets of Multi-Level Regulation

- Four outputs: Coaxial (RCA), Optical Fiber, AES/EBU, IIS (HDMI port).

- DSD support to 128. PCM to 384K.

- Latest XMOS Thesycon ASIO v1.6.1 drivers, strong driver support for future Windows versions.

May 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 9
  I want to use an ASUS laptop with my Lavry DA10 DAC (which drives balanced Senn HD650s). What is a bang-for-buck budget USB to optical or S/PDIF converter that would suit?
The DAC inputs are optical TOSLINK, and S/PDIF or AES via XLR or RCA.
Currently with the laptop I use a Larocco PRII amp for the HD650s, so it suffers the ASUS sound chip limitations. I want to step up from that by using USB out to the Lavry. However my main rig is a desktop with optical out to the Lavry, this laptop setup is a sideline, and I'm more into low budget than absolute best SQ here.
Thanks
Chris

Hi ! just to say that if you find something nice please report.  I have the same problem myself.  I would like to find a good interface without spending a lot
I am very interested in you opinion because you have a fantastic and very revealing set-up.   Congratulations.
But i think that many other people here would be interested.
Thanks and regards,  gino

May 11, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 9
The Gustard U12 looks great but a little pricey for me here. Im not seeing one Fiio box that does the needed conversion. Ive ordered the Behringer UCA202 but it will be around 3 weeks till I receive it and start to play

May 11, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 9
  The Gustard U12 looks great but a little pricey for me here. Im not seeing one Fiio box that does the needed conversion.
Ive ordered the Behringer UCA202 but it will be around 3 weeks till I receive it and start to play

Hi i have one also myself. A nice unit from the analog outs.
I did not test the optical out. 
I would be interested to know your opinion anyway and also which optical cable you will use.
Thanks, gino 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back