Budget Turntables?
Oct 10, 2001 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ashe

New Head-Fier
Hey, I've been in search of a nice budget turntable in the the sub-$250 range if they exist. I'm in the US so a Pro-Ject Debut II is out of the question. Too bad no one exports those. I'm just in need of names. I've looked at the Musichall MMF-2.1 and would like any feedback about that model. Thanks
ashe

Oct 10, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 7
How about a used Rega or Linn LP12...the latter was going for $450.00 Canadian used. They sell quickly though.

Oct 10, 2001 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 7
the music hall is nice as long as you aren't expecting too much from it. it's a mediocre 'table, arm, and cartridge, but it's also convienent as hell and isn't too picky about setup and isolation.
nonetheless, at it's price point it is a bargain.

if at all possible, i'd suggest that you try to find a NAD 533 instead, which will give you the OEM rega rb250 arm, which should pay off dividends in case you try to upgrade to the mid priced tables down the line. even stock, i think it out performs the music hall. plus you'll learn a bit about cart alignment and the like.

i checked your profile and system... it's very impressive for someone of your age. what're your plans for future upgrades? either of the 'tables listed above will require at least a decent phono stage to strut their stuff, so that may put you back another couple of hundred. unless you're going to build a high priced system around your turntable over time, the technics sl-bd20 is a decent 'table and retails for about half of what you're willing to spend and won't be held back by the rest of the components. it's reliable and has decent speed controll, and for an extra couple of bucks you can deaden the plinth with some dynamat and extract a bit more quality from it. that'll leave you with about a c-note to pick up some records or a better cartridge (the technics requires a p-mount). just a thought.

best,
carlo

Oct 11, 2001 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the feedback. I personally don't think my system is impressive. There aren't any good sources.
I've also been looking at the NAD 533. I might look a little further now. There's a local NAD dealer with a wonderful return policy. Maybe I'll go inquire there. I bought my Grados from them and the associate dropped 15% off price because he was busy and I had to wait a little while to pay. How is the Goldring Elektra on the NAD 533?
thanks ashe

Oct 11, 2001 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 7
The Music Hall MMF-2.1 is almost identical to the Pro-Ject 1.2. Cost is similar (around $300). When I say almost identical, I'm serious. They use slightly different arms, but the plinths look identical, except for the position of the power switch. Almost certainly made at the same plant. There are slight difference in the platter that are only visible with the felt mat off.

The US list for the Pro-Ject 2.0 is about $495. The Music Hall comes with a Goldring Cartridge, the Pro-Jects come with Sumiko cartridges.

I picked up a used Music Hall 2.1 from a local dealer for about $160 or so, without cartridge, and mounted an old Grace F9E Ruby on it. It's a nice table, at the entry-level for an audiophile table. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a table at the $300 price point.

Oct 11, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 7
I have one of these, hooked up to a Parasound P/HP-850 preamp which includes a phono section, which they're clearing out at AudioAdvisor. Cost of the two items, $500.

I have no experience with quality turntables, so I'm happy with my purchase -- ignorance is bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I can tell you is that it is built very well, compared to true cheapie TTs: it uses a 2-axis gimbal system for the arm, has adjustable tracking force, etc. These kind of things don't even appear on minisystem TTs and suchlike.

That's the "good". The "bad" is that even I can tell this is the low end of high end turntabling. The power cord and interconnect are permanently attached, not replaceable. The platter is coupled to the plinth so tapping on the unit will make audible sounds through your speakers/headphones. Changing from 33-1/3 to 45 RPM requires lifting the platter off and moving the belt to a different pulley on the drive axle. Stuff like that.

It's a great value for the money. Just don't expect polished prettiness and infinite tweakability.

Oct 11, 2001 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 7
ashe,

the goldring elektra is okay, a little lean and tipped up sound wise. not the best resolution out there, but more than adequate. don't worry about upgrading it untill you decide on a phono stage and upgrade a little more. definitely try to talk your dealer down on the price... NAD has some wiggle room (i've bought a few of their products in the past). if you're paying cash, expect at least 10% off list and don't let them charge you for tax.

best,

carlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back