Budget Tube amp for the HD800S?
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Relic123

New Head-Fier
Sup folks

Got the Jotunheim with the dac-module, not the best pairing with the HD800S I confess. Looking for budget tube amp with a warmer signature, that could reduce some of the sharp highs I'm hearing. I tried the Schiit Valhalla 2, but it's pretty neutral for a tube amp. Needs to be accessible in Europe.

The sound signature I'm looking for is mainly something that can curb the sharp highs, introducing warmer sound, without reducing the soundstage too much, which is the most enjoyable part of the HD800S imo.

Looking around the net, I'm mostly recommended tube amps outside my budget or amps not accessible in europe. Buying from the states is not an option, unless it's dirt cheap, the price after taxes is nearly double the original price most of the time.

Using the Modi multibit as a dac.

Budget is around 800$

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 15
Got the Jotunheim with the dac-module, not the best pairing with the HD800S I confess. Looking for budget tube amp with a warmer signature, that could reduce some of the sharp highs I'm hearing. I tried the Schiit Valhalla 2, but it's pretty neutral for a tube amp. Needs to be accessible in Europe.

The sound signature I'm looking for is mainly something that can curb the sharp highs, introducing warmer sound, without reducing the soundstage too much, which is the most enjoyable part of the HD800S imo.

Looking around the net, I'm mostly recommended tube amps outside my budget or amps not accessible in europe. Buying from the states is not an option, unless it's dirt cheap, the price after taxes is nearly double the original price most of the time.

Most likely your only option is Feliks Audio Echo if the Darkoice DV336se is not available there.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 15
Any experience with the amps you mentioned?

Haven't even seen one in the flesh (steel and glass?) but it's the ones I know for sure are sold in Europe (designed in and made in Europe too). And between paying EU taxes in either tariffs or it contributed to higher labor costs you might as well support as local as possible.

The only thing I have to go on apart from the economics of buying them is that they're OTL amps and I haven't read anything about them sounding anything like the Valhalla.

I often find the darkvoice used around these parts.

If you can get the DV336se really cheap then that's an option (but then there goes the commercial regionalism angle...which of course doesn't have to xenophobic, but hey if you can afford something made by people that are better paid, why not, right?). The high frequencies are rolled off but personally it has a lot to do with the really black background that makes the low end easier to hear and how it isn't making the high frequencies any worse. My HD600 would still get sharp on these if I really crank them up on a bad recording, but not like how the Little Dot MkII made everything have a somewhat bloated low end and a slightly nasal tone to even female vocals, which the Darkvoice doesn't do. It's clearer without getting sharper.

All that said however the amp isn't really an EQ, so while it's desirable that you simply use one that doesn't make the treble even worse, either way, if it doesn't trim the right frequencies enough, it won't do a lot of good. Even an amp that rolls off the top end for example tends to roll off everything starting at a given frequency, so if there's a tall and wide peak somewhere, that elevated area will still be louder than everything around it that also got trimmed.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 15
Haven't even seen one in the flesh (steel and glass?) but it's the ones I know for sure are sold in Europe (designed in and made in Europe too). And between paying EU taxes in either tariffs or it contributed to higher labor costs you might as well support as local as possible.

The only thing I have to go on apart from the economics of buying them is that they're OTL amps and I haven't read anything about them sounding anything like the Valhalla.

If you can get the DV336se really cheap then that's an option (but then there goes the commercial regionalism angle...which of course doesn't have to xenophobic, but hey if you can afford something made by people that are better paid, why not, right?). The high frequencies are rolled off but personally it has a lot to do with the really black background that makes the low end easier to hear and how it isn't making the high frequencies any worse. My HD600 would still get sharp on these if I really crank them up on a bad recording, but not like how the Little Dot MkII made everything have a somewhat bloated low end and a slightly nasal tone to even female vocals, which the Darkvoice doesn't do. It's clearer without getting sharper.

All that said however the amp isn't really an EQ, so while it's desirable that you simply use one that doesn't make the treble even worse, either way, if it doesn't trim the right frequencies enough, it won't do a lot of good. Even an amp that rolls off the top end for example tends to roll off everything starting at a given frequency, so if there's a tall and wide peak somewhere, that elevated area will still be louder than everything around it that also got trimmed.

Thanks mate, for the in-depth answer. After looking around, checking reviews etc., I would say I lean more towards the echo, especially since I can get it new, which is what I prefer. A side question however, as you seem knowledgeable and well informed; What would you say about my dac of choice (the modi multibit). If we assume I bought the Echo, would the purchase of a different dac make any noticeable difference, in accordance with the preferences I mentioned above? Budget would be about the same price bracket as for the amp. I wonder about if the pairing of tube amps and dacs are different from solid state amps, how it may affect the chain and ultimately the sound etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 15
What would you say about my dac of choice (the modi multibit). If we assume I bought the Echo, would the purchase of a different dac make any noticeable difference, in accordance with the preferences I mentioned above? Budget would be about the same price bracket as for the amp. I wonder about if the pairing of tube amps and dacs are different from solid state amps, how it may affect the chain and ultimately the sound etc.

As much as I can tell the difference between some DACs, it's usually more a matter of "these three DACs (or CDPs, or cartridge+phono pre, etc) are good, and wow these other seven are either cheap crap or pretentious expensive crap that sound just as bad, just in a different way."

As for the Modi Multibit, I wouldn't really worry about it, more so since you already have it. I'd personally be more ticked off by a silver Modi next to a black amp.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the reply. Any experience with the amps you mentioned? Differences etc., I often find the Darkvoice used around these parts.
With the Darkvoice 336Se OTL tube headphone amplifier (which I own), you can order other tubes to try in it.
I also spent about $30 for a pair of tubes for it, not really to change the sound, but to have a spare set in case of a tube burning out.
I'm sure some have spent way more (then $30) for a tube, for use in the 336SE, trying to get better sound or the sound they like.

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 15
I currently run the monoprice cavalli liquid platinum, it's a fantastic amp withing your budget, but it's just not the sound signature you are looking for. It does not bring that tubey warmth you might be looking for, unless you swap out the tubes. (And I did not yet)
I heard a woo audio https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa6 also within your budget. I beleive this would check almost every box, unless you absolutely want balanced out.

Good luck!

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 15
I currently run the monoprice cavalli liquid platinum, it's a fantastic amp withing your budget, but it's just not the sound signature you are looking for. It does not bring that tubey warmth you might be looking for, unless you swap out the tubes. (And I did not yet)
I heard a woo audio https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa6 also within your budget. I beleive this would check almost every box, unless you absolutely want balanced out.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. Balanced output with a warm sound signature would be the ideal purchase, so I rather skip the cavalli. The WA6 though, any experience with that particular amp?

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 15
I have tried it once from another member.
I am not versed enough with Woo to know if everything was stock. But I believe so.
The pairing with my HD 800S and the WA6 was really nice.
Nice soud stage and a warmer sound than what I was used too.
Very pleasing to the ear.
That being said, take this with a grain of Salt, this might have been the excitement of it all.
Chek the dedicated thread for more info, use the search on the top right to target the hd 800s. : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-audio-wa6-wa6se-tubes-comments-pictures-and-advice.587285/
Good luck!

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Maybe consider the Valhalla 2. I really like it with the HD600

Thanks

Not to be an ass but did you even read his 1st message...??
He specifically states he used/tried the Valhalla

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Something small I loved using, and WAY below your budget, was a Loxjie P20 and a pair of Western Electric 396a tubes. The tubes will probably cost more than the amp unless you get lucky. I used it out of my Jotunheim and into a set of t60rp. Gives you a cheap tube rolling amp also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back