Budget Linux USB DAC
Mar 13, 2007 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pixelseventy2

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am currently using a cheapy usb "soundbox" to play my collection on flacs/mp3s on my linux media center through my rotel amp. I have the m/c set up with the on-board sound going to the TV for video, and the usb exclusively to the amp for music.

Originally I was intending to upgrade to the m-audio audiophile PCI, but I think my only spare PCI slot is fried. So I now want to get a new USB soundcard/dac to improve the output for my music. I am only interested in stereo, and analogue via rca/phono, and it MUST be linux (Fedora Core 6) compatible.

I have narrowed my selection down to the following:

Silverstone eb01 - £65
Edirol UA1X - £50
Xitel Pro HiFi Link - £75

These are the only ones I can find within my budget (the xitel is actually pushing it) and I was hoping someone could recommend one of these over another, or recommend another for around the £60/$100 mark. On a purely budgetary stand point, the UA1X is winning for me currently, unless any others are significantly better.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 4
bump?

at this time I'm also seriously considering having a go at the Alien DAC. I have a work colleague who is an electrical engineer who can help me make the board, and I can wield a soldering iron.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm pretty sure you just need to be sure that the USB controller on the DAC is compatiable. I think the more common TI controllers are linux-friendly. Not positive, though.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure you just need to be sure that the USB controller on the DAC is compatiable. I think the more common TI controllers are linux-friendly. Not positive, though.

Yup. Anything that implements the USB Audio class will work fine, including all the TI PCM2xxx USB chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back