Budget IEMs or lightweight cans with good isolation for listening whilst studying
Jun 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

topperdoggle

Head-Fier
Listen mainly to rock, prog, folk, blues country, fusion.  Like a presentation that has excitement, but also not fatiguing.

I had some IE8s a while ago, I thought they were good once EQd, but the isolation wasn't great, and overall I feel they were good but I expected more for the money.  Had some SRH-840s which I really enjoyed, but they're both too big.

The use case is something that can fit in a rucksack (and leave space for books :wink: ), preferably at the budget end (although I might stretch for the right thing), to listen to music whilst studying in a library or travelling.  Isolation is important (believe it or not it's a library where talking is allowed) both to block out external noise, and to protect others from Tales From Topographic Oceans or whatever.

IEMs preferred for size and sweat issues, but a great pair of lightweight cans also considered.  Thanks in advance.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Build quality is good - the E10 has a metal capsule with a decent enough cable, although there's a couple of versions. It's braided and plastic coated currently.

Other models have plastic capsules but they're still solid. Isolation is about average for an in-ear once you have a good seal.

Having said that, the Shure SE112 might be worth a look with build quality and isolation, they're a bit more but have a good thick cable with a top-end roll off which suits me - from what you say about fatigue this might suit you.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Isolation comes down to eartips really, not so much the earphone itself. Check out Comply tips. For sound isolation, they're the absolute best.

Or triple flange ear tips, if you don't like foam. They isolate the most, but personally, I'm not a fan.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 7
The Xiaomi Piston 2.0 are highly regraded around here, and smell like chocolat! 
biggrin.gif
 the build is great, full metal housings and big strain reliefs. Regarding isolation, as said before, it depends much more on the tips than on the earphone itself. damn, even sound can be more affected by the tips than by switching earphones. that's why I don't like IEMs that much, too many decising factors for them to sound good.

btw, the Piston housings are quite big, so if you have small ears they might touch them

here for 30$ and free worldwide shipping: http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/In-ear-earphone/Xiaomi-Piston-2.0-Earphones%20?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 7
  The Xiaomi Piston 2.0 are highly regraded around here, and smell like chocolat! 
biggrin.gif
 the build is great, full metal housings and big strain reliefs. Regarding isolation, as said before, it depends much more on the tips than on the earphone itself. damn, even sound can be more affected by the tips than by switching earphones. that's why I don't like IEMs that much, too many decising factors for them to sound good.

btw, the Piston housings are quite big, so if you have small ears they might touch them

here for 30$ and free worldwide shipping: http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/In-ear-earphone/Xiaomi-Piston-2.0-Earphones%20?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Ah wow, you know I was concentrating here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726275/lightweight-cans-with-good-isolation-for-listening-whilst-studying/15 because I'd be worried about losing good IEMs and I find the tips fall off cheap ones.  But I read this and for $29 with all those great reviews, I had to have a go.  If they are well-built they could be really convenient at times when headphones are just too big.

Please, I seem to buy whatever you recommend - please stop!  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back