Budget full-size amp for Q701
Oct 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

exhornet

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Posts
55
Likes
10
Hi. I am in phase of research for my next system. The headphone will be Q701. But i am frustrated about powering section. I listen music %80 from my mobile phone and %20 from my computer. They are in different rooms. I listen while working on desk with mobile phone. So i couldn't decide to buy an dac-amp or just an amp. And if i go for dac-amp it should be useable as just an amp. And i wonder if it sounds bad using mobile phone as source. I need advice in this. May be i go for some itx form little computer for my desk listening.
 
I searched forum for amps, dacs. The Objective2 is higly recommended, fiio e17 is recommended. But what i want is a full-size thing. Discrate, 220v big badass thing. I dont even know if there is one for my budget(200$ or 250$). I found nfb-12.1 which looks very good. The problem is it can't be used as just an amp.
 
By the way, i don't my carrying a solid state room to room :D It will be in home anyway. To desk to computer, computer to desk, not a big deal.
 
Amp should be solid state, not tube.
 
Any help, suggestion is appreciated.
 
Oct 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 18

Lord Voldemort

Formerly known as NimbleTurtle
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Posts
245
Likes
37
Quote:
Hi. I am in phase of research for my next system. The headphone will be Q701. But i am frustrated about powering section. I listen music %80 from my mobile phone and %20 from my computer. They are in different rooms. I listen while working on desk with mobile phone. So i couldn't decide to buy an dac-amp or just an amp. And if i go for dac-amp it should be useable as just an amp. And i wonder if it sounds bad using mobile phone as source. I need advice in this. May be i go for some itx form little computer for my desk listening.
 
I searched forum for amps, dacs. The Objective2 is higly recommended, fiio e17 is recommended. But what i want is a full-size thing. Discrate, 220v big badass thing. I dont even know if there is one for my budget(200$ or 250$). I found nfb-12.1 which looks very good. The problem is it can't be used as just an amp.
 
By the way, i don't my carrying a solid state room to room :D It will be in home anyway. To desk to computer, computer to desk, not a big deal.
 
Amp should be solid state, not tube.
 
Any help, suggestion is appreciated.

So basically you want a badass looking amp. I liked the Matrix M-Stage's looks but also like the 02's looks. Problem with the O2 is its inconvenient design. The FiiO E17 looks nice for its size... very compact with nice brushed feel. 
 
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 18

Misios

Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 31, 2012
Posts
75
Likes
14
I have both the Q701, Fiio E17 and they sound alright.
 
However when I use my Q701 with my NFB 15.1 it sounds even better, a bit more fuller, I cant describe it properly because I suck at describing sound with audiophile terms.
 
 
tl:dr - E17 is alright, but does bring out the full potencial in the Q701
 
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 18

exhornet

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Posts
55
Likes
10
I actualy cant care less about look. Just I want to bring out the 800$ performance of the q701. AC powered Class-A discrete amps looked to me more able to do that. Basicly, I just assume. If there ara amps that looks small, but able bring out the performance of q701 i gladly choose them.
 
Oct 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 18

Lord Voldemort

Formerly known as NimbleTurtle
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Posts
245
Likes
37
Quote:
I actualy cant care less about look. Just I want to bring out the 800$ performance of the q701. AC powered Class-A discrete amps looked to me more able to do that. Basicly, I just assume. If there ara amps that looks small, but able bring out the performance of q701 i gladly choose them.

You're kidding right? Amp requirements are seriously exaggerated in the audio world and the Q701 is no exception. If you volume match - which most people who compare amps don't do, big mistake - and compare different amps in a double blind test, you can hardly tell the difference between another because most differences are not audible. Save your money and invest in something useful. The O2 amp measures very well obviously and is a safe choice but fails in the ergonomic department. The E17 on the other hand is quite versatile and is a lot cheaper, but you could even get much cheaper amps that'll sufficiently do the job. 
 
If you don't like the sound signature of the Q701 and think it's due to under-powering them, I recommend some kind of EQ'ing. 
 
Oct 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 18

exhornet

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Posts
55
Likes
10
Ok now i am confused. I didn't tried myself any amp, but there is a whole forum named "Headphone Amps (Full-size)" and thought that an amp would make huge difference on higher headphones. Is it ok as long as i get enough sound level? Couse i listened Q701 with my Nokia N96 and I had enough sound level. But I didn't feel anything special about Q701, not mindblowing or anything. I was shure that was because of absance of an amp until I saw your post. Is this wrong?
 
Oct 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 18

HaVoC-28

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Posts
1,048
Likes
48
Lake People G103-S if you find it avaliable where you live and want something uncolored / neutral . Should be not to far from your price range .
 
Oct 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 18

hodgjy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 20, 2010
Posts
4,295
Likes
1,148
More parts inside does not mean better sound.  Some of the best sounding amps (Woo tube amps, Heed CanAmp, Trafomatic, Bottlehead Crack, 2359Glenn Studios) have very simple circuits.
 
 
Oct 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 18

HaVoC-28

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Posts
1,048
Likes
48
Quote:
More parts inside does not mean better sound.  Some of the best sounding amps (Woo tube amps, Heed CanAmp, Trafomatic, Bottlehead Crack, 2359Glenn Studios) have very simple circuits.
 

 
You only List Tube Amp so the topology will obviously differ , do the same but only using SS Amps 
wink.gif
, furthemore the OP specify SS AMP not tube . Also , NFB-12 also include a DAC section wich will take some space) .
 
Oct 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 18

hodgjy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 20, 2010
Posts
4,295
Likes
1,148
The Heed CanAmp is most definitely solid state.
 
Quote:
 
You only List Tube Amp so the topology will obviously differ , do the same but only using SS Amps 
wink.gif
, furthemore the OP specify SS AMP not tube . Also , NFB-12 also include a DAC section wich will take some space) .

 
Oct 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #15 of 18

HaVoC-28

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Posts
1,048
Likes
48
Quote:
The Heed CanAmp is most definitely solid state.
 

 
missed that one right .
 
B22 , V200 , Auditor/Phonitor , Master8 all are all great SS Amps , but defenitevely not "small" . But ya big or small if it sound good don't mater . 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top